Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Nook HD and HD+ getting Google Play

AlanNJ wrote:

I guess I'm still a purist.  There's no way I would purchase a B&N Nook HD / HD+ or a Kindle Fire when there are native Android tablets out that can do the same things.  Just my opinion of course.

The only native Android tablets are the Nexus tablets.  The rest are all skinned, just like the nooks.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:
You're not in the minority, I bought my mom the HD specifically because it didn't have access to Google Play.  She will be completely overwhelmed by Google Play and will never use the device for anything but reading now.  She doesn't buy a lot of apps to begin with and this will probably ensure she never buys another one.

Your mom doesn't have to use Google Play - it's going to be available in addition to the regular B&N app store.  If she never wants to touch it, she never has to.

Which is good because I still can't get her to understand that she doesn't have to put her Nook (NST or HD) next to the computer for it download the books.  It's connected to her WiFi, will download from anywhere in the house, but for some reason she's got it in her head, she has to place the Nook directly next to her computer for it to work.  So, I just let it go.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

I guess I'm still a purist.  There's no way I would purchase a B&N Nook HD / HD+ or a Kindle Fire when there are native Android tablets out that can do the same things.  Just my opinion of course.

The only native Android tablets are the Nexus tablets.  The rest are all skinned, just like the nooks.

And the Nexus is what I own in addition to a Samsung Galaxy 10.1.  By the way, my Galaxy 10.1 is rooted and using Cyanogen Mod so it is essentially a native Android tablet as well... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80

CEO William Lynch said research and sales during the holidays show that consumer preference is shifting toward all-purpose tablets rather than simple e-readers.

"We saw coming off holiday the market moved to multifunction tablets," he said. "Consumer research showed us the breadth of applications available is really critical."

It's huge that the HD & HD+ are getting the Google Play Store.

But I think the data must take quite a while to make it to his desk, though.  :smileyhappy:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

AlanNJ wrote:

And the Nexus is what I own in addition to a Samsung Galaxy 10.1.  By the way, my Galaxy 10.1 is rooted and using Cyanogen Mod so it is essentially a native Android tablet as well... :smileywink:

Cyanogen is not truly stock Android, contrary to popular belief.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

flyingtoastr wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Sshhhhhh!  Don't confuse him with facts when he has a point to make!

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
bobstro
0 Kudos

As the Cyanogenmod team describes it: "... CyanogenMod offers the most barebone Android experience coupled with some very powerful tweaks." The big didifferentiator being that they don't layer on the bloatware apps like most tablet manufacturers or carriers. 

But hey, if you now want to argue the purity of other Android variations, go ahead.  :smileyhappy: 

AlanNJ

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

I defer to your obvious expertise in all things Android.  Please note that I did say ESSENTIALLY a native Android tablet.  ESSENTIALLY is not synonymous with 100%.  The Nexus is 100% native however.

I do truly wonder when people stopped reading things as they were written.  My assumption is so that they can argue based on their own comprehension nuances.

keriflur

The biggest difference I see between Cyanogen and stock Android is that in stock Android, everything works. In my experience with Cyanogen, something somewhere is always broken.

Personally, I'd rather used a skinned Android device than Cyanogen, but I like my stuff to work, I don't like to tinker.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

The biggest difference I see between Cyanogen and stock Android is that in stock Android, everything works. In my experience with Cyanogen, something somewhere is always broken.

Personally, I'd rather used a skinned Android device than Cyanogen, but I like my stuff to work, I don't like to tinker.

I don't usually root and replace ROMs until a device isn't supported any more.  I wanted JellyBean on my 10.1 so this was the way to do it.  The tablet does everything I want and it is faster as well.  If I ever want to return it to stock I can do that but I have no reason to.