Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
bndsr
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD and HD+ getting Google Play

With the Mother's Day promotion from May 5-May 12, BN is still cheaper than Walmart. Just fyi.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

For anyone interested in details:

Nook HD is $149.

Nook HD+ is $90 off but not sure if that's for $269 one or $299 one.

Email said:

Mother's Day is just around the corner and NOOK® is honoring all Mom's with two amazing offers.

For a limited time only save up to $90 off NOOK® HD Tablets! Plus Free Shipping. Offer starts 5/5 and ends 5/12 at 11:59 PM. This amazing offer is limited time only and available online and in-store.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

They have an extremely long and hard road ahead of them and giving access to the Google Play Market is most likely too little too late.

I think whether it's too little too late or not depends on how you read the announcement. The way I read it, this is an extension of the announcement that they are going to shift focus away from hardware.  They are offering Google Play on these devices to clear out remaining stock, and then I expect they are done with tablets.  So if this clears out the rest of the tablet stock, it's not too little too late, it's just right.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

They have an extremely long and hard road ahead of them and giving access to the Google Play Market is most likely too little too late.

I think whether it's too little too late or not depends on how you read the announcement. The way I read it, this is an extension of the announcement that they are going to shift focus away from hardware.  They are offering Google Play on these devices to clear out remaining stock, and then I expect they are done with tablets.  So if this clears out the rest of the tablet stock, it's not too little too late, it's just right.

Is the glass half full or half empty?  :smileywink:

If they're doing it to clear out stock then they just have to worry about keeping the bookstores and the e-book business alive.  The one advantage that B&N does have is that they are (as far as I know) the       largest e-pub retailer.  The question is whether or not most people really care about that or not.                                                                                

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
Lori6
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any idea when this is suppose to happen? I read this article http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/barnes-nobles-nook-hd-nook-hd-google-play/story?id=19101554&pt=Bure... stating it was already suppose to happen, if so I can't seemed to find it. If it hasn't when?

keriflur
0 Kudos

Lori6 wrote:

Does anyone have any idea when this is suppose to happen? I read this article http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/barnes-nobles-nook-hd-nook-hd-google-play/story?id=19101554&pt=Bure... stating it was already suppose to happen, if so I can't seemed to find it. If it hasn't when?

It happened Friday.  You can find more information in the HD and nook talk forums.

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

sparky_80 wrote:

That ship sailed a year and a half ago.  Maybe that's what he was saying, but in corporate-speak???

Except it didn't. A year and a half before this holiday season was before the KF had launched (Summer of 2011) .........

I didn't say a year and a half before this holiday season.  Please don't change my words.  

The CEO said  "We saw coming off holiday the market moved to multifunction tablets," he said. "Consumer research showed us the breadth of applications available is really critical."  Come on now.  You think that's when B&N first noticed that people want a variety of quality apps?  

Wasn't it about 18 months ago that B&N realized it couldn't provide them, so they did the next 'best' thing....started pushing updates to tablets that would wipe out the changes people made to try and access better apps???

So BN analyzed the problem and rectified it.

I (and others here) hope that its not too late.

New User
nana1940

I agree that what B&N did was a very good move!  I was very surprised and thrilled when I found it on my home screen yesterday.  Downloaded several games and other apps from Google Play.  I really hope that between this move and the reduced price for this week will help the Nook sales.

I was trying to decide how to upgrade my Nook Color to either the Nook Tablet or an android tablet last year.   I was waiting to find out about the Ipad Mini and had heard that Nook was coming out with an updated tablet that would do so much more that my Color or the new Kindle Fire HD.  I was thrilled and I am so so glad I waited until the Nook HD came out.  I have enjoyed it immensely with all of the magazines, apps, movies and especially the catalogs and putting pages into different folders.  Great Idea!!.

I am very happy I bought the Nook HD and not the Samsung Galaxy,  Nexus or Kindle HD.  Now I have the best of both worlds with the Google Play store, music, movies and all of the games.

Great Move Barnes and Noble!

bobstro
0 Kudos

Never mind NOOK devices, where to NOOK apps go next?

[ Edited ]

I honestly think we're in the last days of B&N devices, at least the color tablets. There are just too many competent competitors, and it was never a space B&N was particularly adept at. There may be some fight left in the eink devices, but I am not sure they are seen as viable by B&N.

What I think will be even more telling than this decision is what B&N does with the apps for other devices next. Will they expand the NOOK app to include the same features as the NOOK devices? Read in store? Enhanced features? Cloud sync (even subscription for 3rd party books)? Fully integrate sideloaded material, thus focusing on reader needs rather than where purchased? Serious reader-focused features akin to Goodreads (though not as silly as Kobo's Reading Life)? They can probably recoup some of their existing software development investment by providing a "reader shell" overlay onto general purpose Android tablets which provides the "NOOK Only" feature set on other devices.

Sure, B&N could go all-in with Microsoft, but are Microsoft tablets selling at the level needed to sustain B&N (not MS)? If Apple and Android are the top of the heap, is it smart to ignore those numbers?

I still think this is where B&N needs to focus. Turn every Android device into a NOOK reader. Quit caring what customers read on, so long as they buy from B&N what they read. To me, it sounds like we're finally going to learn whether B&N learned from Borders' mistakes or not.

keriflur

Re: Never mind NOOK devices, where to NOOK apps go next?

bobstro wrote:

I honestly think we're in the last days of B&N devices, at least the color tablets. There are just too many competent competitors, and it was never a space B&N was particularly adept at. There may be some fight left in the eink devices, but I am not sure they are seen as viable by B&N.

Getting rid of the eink devices is dangerous territory IMO.  If someone likes to read on an LCD tablet, they will likely be very happy with the nook app on any LCD tablet out there, especially if B&N continues to develop and improve the app.  But B&N cannot replicate their eink experience in any way on the other eink devices in the market.  If B&N stops making devices, the folks who prefer eink will be forced to buy kindles or kobos when their nooks die, and their shopping will very likely go with them to the new device.  This is more than just a few sales, these are entire customers shifting away on what will likely be a permanent basis.