Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Never mind NOOK devices, where to NOOK apps go next?

flyingtoastr wrote:

bobstro wrote:

So FT, if the NOOK app is DOA, and the devices aren't selling... What then? 

The devices are selling, just not as well as they used to. BN just needs to make some strategic shifts in thinking to be competitive once again.

They need to stop all this "split the company to 'unlock the potential' of NOOK" (i.e. make the investors rich) crap. Invest in the stores, deeply integrate the NOOK experience (both app and device) into the store experience, and then hammer. the. crap. out of it. 

BN has always had a stigma that the NOOK line is just a "me too" response to the Kindle. Look at how the media has portrayed the NOOK tablet line of devices - a response to the Kindle Fire, despite the fact that BN's first tablet came out a full year before Amazon's! BN needs to start showing how they are different than Amazon, showing the value in choosing them over Kindle - play the underdog card, play the store support card, play the goddamn open content card.

That is how to get NOOK viable again, not just giving up and hoping enough people scroll past Kindle when they boot up their new tablets and give another platform a shot.

I think all of this applies whether or not B&N makes tablet devices.  If a customer sees value in B&N because of the differentiating factors, then they will scroll past the pre-installed kindle app and will download the nook app. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

It certainly wouldn't hurt B&N to put the NOOK app on as many home screens as possible. It might help if the icon resembled a book, or had something to help new users associate it with reading. 

The book icon is what Play Books uses.  Also, FWIW, the icon needs to be catchy and attractive (there are LOTS of folks who won't put an app on their homescreen if they think it's ugly) and the Play icon is not.  IMO they're doing fine with their current icon.  They key is to make that n symbol synonymous with a positive reading experience.

Totally agree on getting it onto devices.  This is where the MS partnership will help them, though they need to partner with the Android makers, given the higher market share over there.

Also, increasing the number of books that are readable in the web app would be helpful for them.  I've started buying more books from Play (despite the annoying icon) because the ipad app is somewhat on par with the nook app, but I can read the books I buy online also (aka when I'm at work).  Most of the new releases I've purchased fron B&N are not readable via the web app.

roustabout

[ Edited ]

Something that BN needs to do - badly needs to do, and I don't know why they haven't yet - is make their app visible as a default reader for epub files in Andrdoid.

What do I mean?  If you don't know ebooks, the Nook app is a mystery even if it was preinstalled.

I was very surprised when I downloaded an epub file a bit back and, when I clicked on it in my file browser, the Nook app was not on the list of apps that could open the file.

That's crazy - even if the app is installed on a device, if it isn't presenting itself to the OS as an app that can open the file, the user will forget about the app.

Without that simple thing being doable - something Moonreader and FBreader and everyone else in creation does for their file types - many folks will never know they have the Nook app installed on a device, and many more will not know it can read sideloaded books.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Without that simple thing being doable - something Moonreader and FBreader and everyone else in creation does for their file types - many folks will never know they have the Nook app installed on a device, and many more will not know it can read sideloaded books.  

Can it read sideloaded books?  I've never been able to get mine to do so.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

I  do think Kindle comes pre installed on a lot more devices.  Often you can't uninstall it.  Does the PS include those as installed?  If so maybe some are being ignored or belong to people who don't read for pleasure, or people who use both apps. 

The Kindle app is installed on my devices, but I rarely ever use it.  I will pick up a free book a time or too, but for the most part, it just sits there, unused.  You still have the issue of the Amazon closed system, and if BN goes under, as the major epub retailer, we're back to the only source is Amazon, who with no market share, can charge whatever they like for eBooks.  So at least 3 out of the 10M are installed but not used.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Keri asks (of the nook app) "Can it read sideloaded books? I've never been able to get mine to do so."

Yes, it can.  They need to be in the right folder for it to read them.  It's accessed by selecting the "my files" choice from the start screen, and having the files you want to read located in

/scard/Nook/MyDocuments 

(no space in that last word)  

Perhaps that's the issue, though - as currently written, the Nook app would have to copy files into that folder as it's first step, and the Android security model makes that hard to do.

In which case, the Nook app needs to be fixed to more easily open files on the system.  Otherwise, when people think of epubs, they still won't think about the Nook app,and won't start to enjoy using the app (it's not a bad little app.)  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

In which case, the Nook app needs to be fixed to more easily open files on the system.

This, yes.

Also, can it read ADE books?  Is there a way to initialize it with ADE?

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Never mind NOOK devices, where do NOOK apps go next?

I do hope someone at B&N corporate reads the last two pages of this thread! Emphasize B&N stores (including staff) . Improve the app. Develop synergy between the two, but don't sink or swim based on only one or the other. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) Downloads mean nothing.

The only real measure is Sales, and to an extent Active Users.

Android market sales are definitely lower than

Kindle

Nook

iPad

Kobo

So looking at that market is pretty much useless.

2) Android = mostly people looking for free stuff.

Amazon = Using free kindle books massively.

So Android would have more downloads of Kindle App, by far.

3) The below is very true. There are very few companies that can handle both hardware and software. Most companies should specialize.

I think the days of selling a truly unique lcd tablet are ending.  I believe the smart way to go is to sell a BN branded version of a tablet designed by say LTC,  with one or two reader centric features.  It would be sold in BN stores and online exclusively.  HTC would market it and sell it elsewhere, without the reader centric features as an HTC tablet. Coupons for HTC phone purchase discounts might be in the packaging. 

4) Windows 8 Store I follow closely. Microsoft is really helping B&N there.

Nook App spends large periods of time as best selling Books App. It also has much higher ranking in overall rankings than Kindle App.

Sometimes MS gives it front page icon. Sometimes there are 'free book promotions'.

So it's doing better in that store.

iPhone and iPad it's doing worse. Often a lot worse.

5) eInk Nooks can't be dropped. The 30% of users that buy 60% of books look for those. That's just my educated guess based on everything I've seen and read.

So losing those would be a killer blow.

6) Hardware - What was mentioned earlier. Let some other company make the hardware and put B&N branding on it. And also negotiate with that vendor to put Nook App default on all its devices and phones. Samsung would be a better partner than HTC.

roustabout

Five, on Windows 8, if you double-click on an epub file, what happens?  If you've got the Nook app installed, does it...  Wait, I have a win 8 install here.   

OK, this is just pathetic.  Copied "The Wasteland" to my win 8 desktop.  Verified that my copy of the Nook app was installed and able to see my library.

Double-click on the wasteland, nothing opens by default.  Browse for stuff in the win 8 appstore to open with - and no Nook app.  

Barnes?  Noble?  Mr. Ballmer?  Someone, please think a little about getting this app a tiny bit more usefully into people's minds?  Not having the Windows 8 Nook app appear in the list headed by "These apps support 'epub'" in the swank new Microsoft OS is kinda sorta a great way not to have customers know what your program can do.