Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Never mind NOOK devices, where to NOOK apps go next?

That's an excellent point.

I never thought of it but the only way I even notice most apps is when opening files and seeing options.

And Windows 8 has a very nice feature where it will tell you - You have a new app that can open this type of file.

B&N should definitely get that added.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

5ivedom wrote:

1) Downloads mean nothing.

The only real measure is Sales, and to an extent Active Users.

Android market sales are definitely lower than

Kindle

Nook

iPad

Kobo

So looking at that market is pretty much useless.

2) Android = mostly people looking for free stuff.

Amazon = Using free kindle books massively.

So Android would have more downloads of Kindle App, by far.

3) The below is very true. There are very few companies that can handle both hardware and software. Most companies should specialize.

I think the days of selling a truly unique lcd tablet are ending.  I believe the smart way to go is to sell a BN branded version of a tablet designed by say LTC,  with one or two reader centric features.  It would be sold in BN stores and online exclusively.  HTC would market it and sell it elsewhere, without the reader centric features as an HTC tablet. Coupons for HTC phone purchase discounts might be in the packaging. 

4) Windows 8 Store I follow closely. Microsoft is really helping B&N there.

Nook App spends large periods of time as best selling Books App. It also has much higher ranking in overall rankings than Kindle App.

Sometimes MS gives it front page icon. Sometimes there are 'free book promotions'.

So it's doing better in that store.

iPhone and iPad it's doing worse. Often a lot worse.

5) eInk Nooks can't be dropped. The 30% of users that buy 60% of books look for those. That's just my educated guess based on everything I've seen and read.

So losing those would be a killer blow.

6) Hardware - What was mentioned earlier. Let some other company make the hardware and put B&N branding on it. And also negotiate with that vendor to put Nook App default on all its devices and phones. Samsung would be a better partner than HTC.

Just curious where you're getting all these "facts"?  You must be a genius.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Stopped by B&N today after work and the saleswoman was inundated with people getting new Nooks at the Mothers Day discount.  Mine is charging now.  :smileyvery-happy:

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

Stopped by B&N today after work and the saleswoman was inundated with people getting new Nooks at the Mothers Day discount.  Mine is charging now.  :smileyvery-happy:

I think I'm going to just go ahead and get one this week, too. I was going to wait till my birthday this summer, but I've got some money tucked away so I think I'm just going to go for it. I've wanted one since the nook color came out, but always talked myself out of it. I've been debating about buying a lighted e-ink reader, but I think my NST and a nook HD will be a good combination. I have a samsung galaxy player (the ones they've just discontinued) and while I really like it a lot I need something bigger.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

None of them are facts. Thanks for calling me a genius though AlanNJ. You seem very intelligent so I'm flattered you'd think of me as a genius.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,334
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

So, convince me

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

I honestly think we're in the last days of B&N devices, at least the color tablets. There are just too many competent competitors,

Test post.  Maybe I will edit it, if it posts correctly, but I wrote a long message about reconsidering the Nook HD/+, only to have the stellar forum software lose it ("authentication token expired").

Edit #1:  I'm too pissed to rewrite the whole thing again, so in summary, can someone to convince me to return my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0" (fortunately, just still within the Costco 90-day return window) and get one of the HD/+ devices at this week's prices?

Edit #2: The advantages to me of the Tab 2 are the GPS (that's a device, not a store), the IR transmitter (used by the included home theatre remote control app), and the really nice case/cover that comes with the "Garnet Red" edition.

The disadvantages are the fact that the so-called "stock" browser invokes the Kindle app to display downloaded PDF files, whereupon the Kindle app crashes (it works fine with the same PDF file copied to the device), the hard-coded stupid startup/shutdown sounds, and the fact that I've been waiting three months for the OTA update on WiFi models from v4.1.1 to v4.1.2 (which has been updated on cellular models for three months).

How much RAM do the HD/+ models have?  This is another little detail that B&N doesn't seem fit to disclose in the specs (at least I couldn't fine it)

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: So, convince me

HD and HD+ specs:

Device Specs

Note The NOOK HD+ specs are the same as the NOOK HD except as noted.

Feature NOOK HD NOOK HD+

Operating SystemAndroid Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 
Model NumberBNTV400BNTV600
API Level15 
Adobe AIR3.3 
Dimensions194.4 mm long x 127.1mm wide x 11.0 mm deep240.3 mm long x 162.8 mm wide x 11.4 mm deep
Weight300 grams500 grams
CPU ProcessorTI OMAP4470 1.3 GHzTI OMAP4470 1.5 GHz
GPU ProcessorPOWERVR SGX544 
Open GL VersionOpenGL® ES v2.0, OpenGL ES v1.1, OpenVG v1.1, and EGL v1.3 
Display Resolution1440x9001920x1280
Aspect Ratio1.6 (16:10)1.5 (3:2)
RAM1 GB 
Storage8 or 16 GB16 or 32 GB
Removable MemoryMicroSD expandable to 64 GB - See the Removable Memory note 
APK Install LocationMust install to internal memory 
User Agent StringSee User Agent strings.See User Agent strings.
Microphone Audio FormatsAAC, AMR Narrow Band, AMR Wide Band for audio encoding. We recommend AAC for Audio Recording. 
Microphone Sampling Rates8Khz to 44.1Khz for input. We recommend 44.1Khz for better quality. 
Content Audio FormatsMP4, M4A, 3GP, AMR, MP3, OGG, AAC, WAV 
Content Audio CodecsMPEG4, 3GGP, AMR, MP3, OGG, AAC (ADTS), WAV 
Image FormatsJPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP 
Video Hardware Scaling1080p, 720p 
Video FormatsMP4, 3GP, WebM, MKV, MPEG-TS 
Video CodecsMPEG4, 3GPP, WebM, MKV, MPEG-2 TS 
Content File FormatsEPUB, PDF, DOC, DOCX, DOCM, XLS, XLSM, PPT, PPTX, PPTM, PPS, PPSX, PPSM, TXT, HTM, HTML 
KeyboardVirtual QWERTY 
SoftkeysBack and Home 
PowerHardware Power Key 
Volume KeyHardware Volume Up/Down 
Home KeyNOOK key on front 
AccelerometerYes 
USBProprietary connection 
Wi-Fi ConnectivityB/G/N, 2.4 GHz only 
Wi-Fi SecurityWEP, WPA, WPA2, EAP 
HDMI OutYes 
SpeakersStereo 
Headphone Jack3.5mm 
MicrophoneFull duplex 
Bluetooth ProfilesSee Bluetooth Profiles 
Google Cloud Messaging (Push Notifications)No 
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Dean,

It's going to be a question of priorities.  If the GPS is that important to you then I'd stick with the Tab2.  I have a Garmin and my smartphone for when I want GPS so that's not as important to me as the readability of National Geographic (barely readable in a 7-inch form factor but the 8.9-inch really does seem to make a difference).

I'm fairly happy so far with the Nook HD+ although I'm annoyed by the new USB interface (can't see the Nook as a hard drive on my MacBook anymore).  I was able to see MyNook as a drive folder ONCE to transfer some files but can't see it anymore when I plug the USB cable in.

I am further annoyed that the secondary batteries I use on most of my USB-charged items (NST, NC, NT, smartphone, iPod, speakers) don't appear to be charging the HD+.  I get a green light when plugged into the external battery rather than orange light when it's plugged in to the A/C adapter and the current draw is so small that the external battery often shuts itself off while connected but I'll come back to the HD+ with its internal battery drawn down from what it was before.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

[...] Test post.  Maybe I will edit it, if it posts correctly, but I wrote a long message about reconsidering the Nook HD/+, only to have the stellar forum software lose it ("authentication token expired").

I've had that happen in the past. Occasionally, I've been able to hit the back button and do a copy & paste of at least the message body.

Edit #1:  [...] can someone to convince me to return my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0" (fortunately, just still within the Costco 90-day return window) and get one of the HD/+ devices at this week's prices?

I sure can't. Unless the increased resolution means that much to you. I'm quite fond of my SGT2 7.0. I don't use the GPS often, but it is nice to have on occasion. The camera is not stellar, but I find it invaluable for capturing whiteboard images and other snaps alongside my field notes. All the media I want to read from whatever source works.

Edit #2: The advantages to me of the Tab 2 are the GPS (that's a device, not a store), the IR transmitter (used by the included home theatre remote control app), and the really nice case/cover that comes with the "Garnet Red" edition.

Can you get a refund on the cover as well as the device? I haven't done much with the IR yet, but it is widely lauded.

The disadvantages are the fact that the so-called "stock" browser invokes the Kindle app to display downloaded PDF files, whereupon the Kindle app crashes (it works fine with the same PDF file copied to the device),

I use Firefox on my SGT and have no problems. I can't say that I've tried downloading a PDF and opening it. I'll try if I remember to and let you know what I find.

the hard-coded stupid startup/shutdown sounds,

I don't physically turn mine off that often, so those don't bug me. Is the HD/+ noise-free in that regard? My phone does the same thing.

and the fact that I've been waiting three months for the OTA update on WiFi models from v4.1.1 to v4.1.2 (which has been updated on cellular models for three months).

I'm in the same boat, though I don't know that B&N will update any faster. My SG Note got an update this week, so they're pretty regular in my experience.

How much RAM do the HD/+ models have?  This is another little detail that B&N doesn't seem fit to disclose in the specs (at least I couldn't fine it)

They seem like nice enough devices. The addition of GoPS is a definitely plus that would have made my original decision process a bit difference, but I do not regret my SGT. I did add a screen protector that took care of the glare and fingerprint issue. Since I put the same on my NOOK devices, the screens are now identical in that regard.

Regarding external batteries and 3rd party chargers: The SGT (and Note) prefer a Samsung-aware charger. With a high-output charger, they'll charge the usual 10% per hour, but to get any better, you need one that is specific to Samsung. Fortunately, I've had no trouble finding many that are. I also picked up one of those PWR+ adapters that is supposed to let it charge at full rate with any high output charger, but keep forgetting to test it. I wonder if that would work on the HD/+ as well?

Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

I wouldn't get the Galaxy Tab 3. I'd rather have a pure Android experience with the Nexus 7.