Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Nook HD and HD+ getting Google Play

1) The NEws:

Brian Heater / Engadget:NEW 

More:

2) How many peopel think this will massively increase sales?

I don't know what impact it will have. However, there seem to be some peope who thought adding Google Play will fix everything. Still feel that way? Or Not?

Thoughts?

Other thoughts are welcome too.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Nook HD and HD+ getting Google Play

Well, the HD/+ devices just went from "devices I'd never consider buying" to "devices I'd definitely consider buying if I were in the market for a tablet."

Wordsmith
TnTexas

I think the denizens of Hell are huddled together, trying to keep warm; and the pigs are wondering what the heck those things are on their backs.

Seriously, it's move I never expected.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

I wonder how many of my Nexus 4 Play Store apps are compatible with the HDs. I'll have to drop by a B&N tomorrow and hopefully they will have an HD+ with a functional Play Store app so I can check it out. If I like what I see, I'm buying!

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

Wow. Blindsided there...

patgolfneb

I am puzzled why BN is continuing it's stores, I have always seen this as an all or nothing option? Does this make windows based devices more or less likely in the future?

patgolfneb

I think Amazon feels additional pressure to follow as well, prime may be a strong enough offering, but now they are really the only Android non play store offering out there. 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

This whole thing is reminding me just how much I loathe MTP.

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

Really surprised by this news. Never, ever saw it coming and honestly I was okay with having BN remain a closed ecosystem (in a sense). But, that's because I use both my HD+ and HD for reading. Not so much the app use. 

With this move though, I'm sure to access Google for the music which I have an extensive collection of and perhaps Movies where I have a few I bought when I saw a sale. 

I really think this move though can only increase sales for BN, though, and good for them! Their HD tablets are superb and it's about time everyone discovered this fact. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos