Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
GSOgymrat
0 Kudos

Nook STWGL vs. Kobo Aura

I have been a Nook fan and owned a Nook STWGL. A couple of months ago I accidentally stepped on it and broke the light. I was wooed by screen of the Kobo Aura HD and bought it as a replacement. The screen is excellent and I like the various font options but after using the Kobo for several months I have sold it on eBay and I'm buying the Nook STWGL for $99 with the $20 gift card. The reasons I am switching include:

- The Nook's physical page turn buttons. I tend to hold an reader in one hand and switch hand back and forth and just squeezing the button is awesome. I thought I could get used to touching the screen on the Kobo but after several months it was still irksome.

- The Nook is lighter and easier to hold. The back of the Kobo is rather slippery and doesn't really sit in your hand without the corner pressing uncomfortably into your palm.

- Transferring books from Barnes and Noble to Kobo through Calibre is a bother.

- Kobo doesn't have magazines. I can read Newsweek on the Nook and it is formatted correctly.

My dream would be Barnes and Noble updates Nook with a screen and illumination similar to Kobo Aura HD while keeping the physical buttons, weight and shape.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook STWGL vs. Kobo Aura

GSOgymrat wrote:

My dream would be Barnes and Noble updates Nook with a screen and illumination similar to Kobo Aura HD while keeping the physical buttons, weight and shape.

Well, you may get your dream, as a new e-ink nook is supposedly in the works (I assume for release this fall to catch the holiday sales).

Also, the reasons you gave make me think the Aura would be just fine for me.  I don't use Calibre, side buttons or digital magazines, and am used to books, nooks and other devices poking awkardly into my hand.  Too bad for me that you've already sold your device!

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

To be more correct a new Nook is in the works for the holiday season.

I hope it's an eink, and I suspect it will be since all signs point to that as the likely thing. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

To be more correct a new Nook is in the works for the holiday season.

I hope it's an eink, and I suspect it will be since all signs point to that as the likely thing. 

The latest press release reiterated that they are going to keep making e-ink nooks, so there's supposedly one coming at some point.  My assumption is that B&N knows they need to get that e-ink device out by the holiday season, or they're going to lose potential sales to Kobo and Amazon, so I expect they'll have something ready (and it's been well over a year - they've had ample time).

If they have tablet nooks, that's great too.

Reader
Kilea_Raven23
0 Kudos

GSOgymrat wrote:

What!? How? Please let me know. I have been searching how to get nook books onto my kobo but have yet to find an answer.

Mercury_Glitch

Kilea_Raven23 wrote:

GSOgymrat wrote:

What!? How? Please let me know. I have been searching how to get nook books onto my kobo but have yet to find an answer.

You'll need Adobe Digital Editions, free software available for Mac and PC.

1) Download and install ADE.

2) Plug your Kobo device in and sync it to ADE (generally done by opening ADE once the device is connected)

3) Download the Nook ebooks to your computer (you can use Nook Study, Nook for Mac, or Nook for PC, or download them from the website, Nook Study is likely the best app to do it as both Nook for PC and Nook for Mac have been pulled at one point or another and have had issues downloading at times).

4) Drag the Nook book to the ADE window. 

5) From within the ADE window you should be able to drag the Nook book to your Kobo

You will need the most recent version of ADE or you will get errors. 

That -should- do it.  Note that once you've done this once, you just need to repeat  steps 3 - 4. 

It is also a wise idea to make back ups of your ebooks by downloading them to your computer.  It's not required, but it certainly is a good idea.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.