Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: So............. How about MP3's ?

5ivedom wrote:

Regarding this:

Otherwise it's just going to be more half fulfilled promises for features that people will complain about not matching the competitors who have had years, sometimes decades, to set up their services.

How do we know what is the percentage of people who are OK with waiting as features get built up Versus those which must have every very good immediately?

I think it's better for B&N to improve the core features first.

However, it doesn't hurt to also keep adding new things and new stores. Quite frankly, there are portions of the Nook ownership that will never be happy. If they get all the movies they want, they would want price matching with any price available anywhere. After that they would want higher viewing times. After that other things.

If B&N adds a feature and finds that 50% to 70% of users are OK with it, then by all means it should go ahead and add more features.

Because the divide between

Perfect Movie STore AND No Movie Store

is much bigger than the one between

PErfect Movie Store AND Starting Off Movie Store.

I think it's a Catch-22 situation for B&N.

If it doesn't add things like Nook MOvies then it misses out on the revenue stream from it.

If it adds things like Nook Movies, then some uses complain it's not perfect/not as polished as other stores created 2-3 years ago.

I think it should just stick with users who are willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And there, some users will be fixated on how Nook App Store isn't perfect yet. And some will say - Movie Store is a completely different thing. It should scale up faster and better than apps.

True, though it's also a question of resources.  B&N can rest on the MP3 department since you can add MP3s from other sources fairly easily, much easier than adding movies was prior to the Movie Store.  Customers can get what they want through that, and while it doesn't generate profit for B&N it also costs them nothing since they don't have to maintain an app, nor do they need to enter into contracts with record companies. 

I also think we can safely say that there are core features to the entire Nook line that should be improved upon.  These are things going back to the N1E in some cases. 

I think either Dean or bobstro made a point in another thread about B&N taking a year to iron out the bugs and make the Nook experience more user friendly.  I think that's an excellent idea.  Don't expand to features that aren't needed, get things working nicely, fix the issues your customer base have been dealing with, and make the whole experience a better one. 

Over that year start branching out in your media department to movie companies, and after them record companies.  Enter 2014 with a Music Store that might not be directly comparable to Apple or Amazon but starts strong and gets stronger.  And a Movie Store that gets those new releases right off.  Spend 2014 building on the relationships you've started and making new ones.  Make 2014 a features year, but make sure those features come out nicely polished. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Contributor
MrsSplatzenberger
0 Kudos

streaming movies

[ Edited ]

A little OT but where is :

Redbox or the new Redbox instant?

VUDU?

CinemaNow by Bestbuy?

All I see is Netflix...

Where are the streaming apps?

Have a great day !
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: streaming movies

Hulu+ is there as well. 

Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

Re: streaming movies

What about the FREE video apps , PBS, Verizon, NBC,ABC etc....... This would be great :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I really like the plan you mention i.e.

2013 - All about making the core stuff great.

2014 - all about adding features.

Over that year start branching out in your media department to movie companies, and after them record companies.  Enter 2014 with a Music Store that might not be directly comparable to Apple or Amazon but starts strong and gets stronger.  And a Movie Store that gets those new releases right off.  Spend 2014 building on the relationships you've started and making new ones.  Make 2014 a features year, but make sure those features come out nicely polished.

One thing I'll add - The whole concept of 'Features coming out nicely polished' is incredibly hard.

I don't mean 'Make sure there are no big bugs'. I mean 'the very polished part'. Most of the time users tell you something very different about what they want. So it's better to iterate in my opnion. Of course, without introducing buggy software. But the minimum viable product in polished form. Then iterate it as users say - Yes, this is a good store/feature/offering.

However, your strategy is still spot-on. That's really what I think B&N should do. Get back to basics and make those smooth first.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

By well polished, I mean that using them is intuitive.  The new features may lack certain functionality that users will ask for later and which should then be added.  But your software should conform to a standard set of guidelines that is universal throughout the experience. 

I don't use the HDs much, aside from messing around at work, and shortly with one I borrowed from work, but there are features which behave one way in a certain area and another way in a different area.  That sort of thing shouldn't have made it through QA testing.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

OK. I get your point.

It's really hard to test those things unless you

1) Have time.

2) Have QA doing QA for all features i.e. if the QA work is partitioned out to various people it can be missed.

3) Have time to redo changes and testing.

It's a very valid point though. From the user perspective inconsistencies make it very hard to use the device.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

5ivedom: OK. I get your point.

1) Have time.

2) Have QA doing QA for all features i.e. if the QA work is partitioned out to various people it can be missed.

As a wanna-be major player in the tablet market, you make the time/hire the necessary people to do these things. And be sure you have at least one person on QA whose job is to test the entire device, not just a segment of it. That's what it takes to be competitive.

Inspired Contributor
MrsSplatzenberger
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

5ivedom: OK. I get your point.

1) Have time.

As a wanna-be major player in the tablet market, you make the time/hire the necessary people to do these things. And be sure you have at least one person on QA whose job is to test the entire device, not just a segment of it. That's what it takes to be competitive.

Agreed :smileyhappy:

Have a great day !
Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat
0 Kudos

Re: So............. Where is the Video App?

I agree with what has been said but have one burning question. Where is the App. The last we heard was later this year. (2012) I figured around Christmas or just after. But; we are going into February and haven't heard anything. 

I have not gotten an HD yet, so was looking forward to the app. Before anyone jumps on me; yes I want it to work. I have been waiting. It just seems to me that they are losing sales. If you are not getting more movies due to small sales, they won't increase anytime soon if they don't deliver on what they promised. IMO

Auntykatkat