Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

Nook Vs. Kindle

Yesterday, I sent a message to Nook about discrepancies in price between Nook and Kindle. They generally keep the prices the same. I looked at a book on kindle's bookstore and compared to the Nook bookstore. The kindle store was 30% cheaper than the Nook. The response I got back was something about my offer to get the books at the same price which was not my question at all. I wanted to know WHY there was there a difference. In the future, I will go which ever is the LOWEST price. Same book. Why pay a larger price for the same e-book?
You live and you learn, some people just live!
Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Vs. Kindle

I do not have a Kindle. But have a tablet that lets me buy kindle products. I have a first edition Nook.
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Amazon is willing to sell for cost, or even at a loss, in order to drive competitors out of the market.  A bunch of the publishers got together with Apple to set minimum prices, but now the government is going after them for price-fixing.  It's an ongoing discussion. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1

Most of the time, excluding special offers, Amazon's prices range between the same as and about $2 less than Nook books, and books from other ebook vendors such as Kobo, Sony, and Apple.  In cases where Amazon is $1 - $2 less, I think the reason is because of Amazon strategy/marketing decisions;  others can speculate about the rationale and effectiveness of such decisions. The cases I find interesting are those cases where the pricing difference is much larger.  In several such cases, I have found that B&N has priced much higher than its non-Amazon competitors - so Amazon ends up pricing $1 - $2 less than Kobo et al, and B&N prices $5 - $9 more than Kobo.  I have no idea why B&N would price like this unless it believes that its customers don't notice or don't care.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

I would state unequivocally, since I am not  burdened wit h actual knowledge, that it is a bit of both. BN, Amazon, Apple use proprietary tech in part with the hope that impulse, and convenience are enough that constant price checks are not something most will do. Committing resources to constantly monitor competitors probably is low priority except for high profile titles. On below cost prices for less popular titles a lost sale is probably not a concern. I am sure that they worry about loyalty, but always having the lowest price is a non starter when books are your core business. Amazon uses books to lure buyers in the hope it leads to sales in other areas. They are the Cosco of the internet.

Scribe
frantastk

They probably do it for the same reason that you can get a box of your favorite cereal cheaper at one store than in another. On the non-agency books that I buy I haven't seen much if any difference (more in the non-fiction section). Usually I shop at Kobo for my non-agency books. Their prices usually start out higher but they always have a good selection of coupon codes going at any given time (for non-agency books) that brings the price a lot lower than any of the other stores. I got the last 2 Hunger Games books for less $3 for the two books. For a while Kobo had 90%, 75%, and 50% coupons. They almost always have 30 or 40% off coupons.

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

The books I was talking about was "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay". The prices were 5.99 and 7.14 respectively. Nook had both theirs for 9.99.