Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Yes, I'm elitist

[ Edited ]
deesy58 wrote:
[...] keriflur seems to believe that "Deesy created an imaginary issue for the purposes of illustrating an argument point and hasn't yet figured out a way to back out of his statements."
The issue is that you were describing a problem as "100% reproducible" and widespread that you originally (and now) described as intermittent and isolated to your device. The problem(s) you are now describing do sound more like what you originally posted in the old thread.

Interesting, too, that deesy first reported this problem on this forum more than a year ago, and it has been confirmed by other posters ... unless keriflur is simply trolling and trying to stir the pot ... Hmm.

Now that we have a clear description of the problem, it looks like you have two issues:

1. Page reflow problems that make it impossible to progress beyond a certain book, or pages to be skipped. This might be related to poor epub formatting, and likely would be seen on any device (at least any of the same type and software). Fixing the epub is the most likey fix here, as at least in my limited experience, there are actual problems with the epub. B&N can't do anything about this by changing their device software.
  2. Device lockups. You noted that these seem to happen on longer books, but not always. You also noted in the old thread that this is not a 100% reproducible event, so troubleshooting is more difficult. However, it does sound like a problem that is affecting your device rather than every device of the same type and software. In your case, I suspect device corruption. Others are able to read large texts without a device lockup, and at least your older thread made it sound like even yours doesn't lock up most of the time. A factory restore or firmware reload might resolve these issues.

I have reported that the problem manifests only while reading an e-book, and especially a long e-book.  I have reported that sometimes I can recover by changing the font size, but that, in other cases, the NOOK must be powered down in order to recover. 

Again, sounds like two separate issues. One common to anybody trying to read a badly formatted epub, and relatively widespread. The other related to your device, whether a software defect (though we'd expect a large number of users with the same problem if so), software corruption or faulty hardware. A factory reset and/or firmware reload would narrow down whether one or the other of these is the culprit for the lockup problem.

I believe that I have even reported specific page numbers.  The problem appears in no other applications that I have seen, but I only use a weather app and a crossword puzzle app that I purchased more than a year-and-a-half ago. 

Unfortunately, on the stock, unrooted B&N NT firmware, you don't have a lot of troubleshooting tools available.

Is this report sufficiently clear?  Is there anything else that is important, and that anybody believe I have not told them?

It helps that you're being consistent with your descriptions now.

Just because some posters might make up imaginary issues in order to create controversy on the Forum doesn't mean that I do.  I don't.  I have other ways to amuse myself than to compose and post non-existent NOOK issues on this forum, and especially to have done so more than a year ago. 

It helps that you're being consistent with your descriptions now.

This is getting repetitive.  I have already shared all of this information on multiple occasions.  It is beginning to look like some posters are amusing themselves with this thread and have no intention at all of attempting to be helpful.

It has been repetitive, yes. I'm understanding that you are interested in help now. Is that correct? Otherwise, the information here might be helpful to others experiencing similar problems.

To wrap this all up then, I don't think you're going to see a firmware fix from B&N for the specific lockup issue. As you noted in your older post, it does not seem to be pervasive. The epub formatting issue must be fixed by the publisher, unless you're willing to do it yourself. Nobody else, including B&N, can legally do this.

Your legal remedies for a device swap or replacement or refund went away when your warranty expired. You could try your luck taking it in to B&N to see if they might still be able to help you out in some way.

If they are not, your options include  just living with it (as you seem to have), or attempting any of the fixes described above. Although not convenient, I'd suggest a factory reset as the first step, followed by a reload of the firmware. If you mostly use the device for reading and crosswords, restoring your library should not take an overly long time.

Is this response sufficiently clear? Is there anything else that is important that we can help you with?

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Did Deesy really just write a post in which he refers to himself in the third person multiple times?

As far as the things said about me in that post - go back, Deesy, and reread, because you clearly had a hard time understanding what I said in my previous post.  I see no point in restating myself again here.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Did Deesy really just write a post in which he refers to himself in the third person multiple times?

As far as the things said about me in that post - go back, Deesy, and reread, because you clearly had a hard time understanding what I said in my previous post.  I see no point in restating myself again here.

Umm ... no.  Apparently you didn't read carefully enough to note that it was a quote.  In fact, it was you who was being quoted.

Since your posts seem to be increasingly nonsensical, you will be doing everybody a favor by not restating yourself, IMO. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Umm ... no.  Apparently you didn't read carefully enough to note that it was a quote.  In fact, it was you who was being quoted.

This part wasn't a quote:

Interesting, too, that deesy first reported this problem on this forum more than a year ago, and it has been confirmed by other posters ... unless keriflur is simply trolling and trying to stir the pot ... Hmm.

Are you, um, having some identity issues?

Do you need help in learning how to use the forum software to properly quote, so that you can tell when you're quoting and not quoting?

Do you need help going back to the post you were referring  to and re-reading *all* the words in it?

I'm sure we can find a first grade teacher in your area if you need assistance.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18

Tweedle dee and tweedle dum

[ Edited ]

Last ?  Please ?

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Oh, keriflur, you're just too clever by half.  :smileylol: