Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: Nook future plans article

Last earnings report they were still planning their international push.  I'm assuming that's dead?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

Last earnings report they were still planning their international push.  I'm assuming that's dead?

With the old Nook brand tablets?  Yes, I'd say so.  However I imagine if they are able to partner with a tablet manufacturer they'll want to hit international sales asap. 

The eInk line should, in theory, still be something they want to push internationally. 

Of course that's using the logic that currently the only thing standing in the eInk Nooks way of full international release are the selling rights from international publishers.  It's already in the UK.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

MacMcK1957 wrote:

And, as expected, some analysts begin hammering the nails into B&N's coffin:

"Brian Sozzi, CEO and chief equities analyst at Belus Capital Advisors, thinks the odds are stacked against a Barnes & Noble turnaround. "I have no confidence in this company surviving," Sozzi says in the attached video."           Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?

Given B&N's inability to manage software releases, their belief that removing features to add other features is acceptable, and their inability to truly understand the market, I can't disagree with Sozzi.

Frankly, maybe Lynch does need to go. There are glaringly obvious issues with the way B&N is run - in the nook division, online, and in the stores. Maybe a new CEO could turn the ship around.

Reader
rpmcestmoi
0 Kudos

I like the hd version and have given three as gifts. I hope somebody picks it up. I use an iPad for reading, eschew the amazon thing. I thought that Lynch was on to this game early. Whether he had the necessary support to bring it home I can not speak to.
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

I heard about the new eink devices on the news this morning, and I'm thrilled. This is the exact plan I thought BN should have gone along with as soon as they realized that they no longer had the lead in the 7"/ low priced tablet market.

I firmly believe that there is a large enough demand for books (both paper and electronic) that if they would just stick to their roots they can definitely grow, so I disagree with Suozzi (sp). There are lots if people who just want to read, and who don't need Angry Birds and Facebook on every device they have.

The caveat would be that BN needs to step up and please those reading customers. Better software, responsiveness to issues and much more Nook integration on the retail side (ie store staff that actually understand Nook devices). The ability to buy nook books in store was step one, the decision to focus on tweaking the current nook is step two.  It remains to be seen how much they really flex the ability to capitalize on the demands of the book market, which would be step 3.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I was disappointed but not surprised by the news. I would say B&N has definitely made an impact on tablet market: the Nook Color was the first really affordable color reader, the Nook Tablet upped the game when Amazon bit the bullet and tried to counter the Color with Fire, the HD and HD+ pushed the boundaries of screen quality while maintaining an affordable price structure (although the recent price reductions would have been truly innovative if they'd come months ago). I am heartened by the fact they're staying in the game with dedicated ereaders -- I still love the NST -- and the press release I saw specifically said they weren't withdrawing completely from the tablet market, just going with third party designers and manufacturers which may improve the overall product. Remember the first Fire was designed outside of Amazon's house as well. Perhaps they could have grown on all fronts if they'd gotten the investment support (i.e. P/E fraction) of a tech company but pulling back on one front may let them solidify their work on the more critical fronts. At the end of the day, B&N sells media and their net presence and applications need to reflect that.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
bobstro
0 Kudos

Two other things in the financial statement that struck me: B&N will be "... launching new NOOK Apps™." Perhaps they'll fix them and align features between platforms? They also intend to innovate in eInk. Will they respond to the Kobo Aura and up the ante with screen resolution? There was also a reference to committing to bring digital content to "all devices". While I wouldn't expect music on a mute NST, perhaps that's a hint about future capabilities? Most importantly, I think, were repeated references to the fact that a lack of big book blockbusters such as Hunger Games and 50 Shades hurt both digital and store sales. B&N may have remembered that they're in the business of books after all.
keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
Two other things in the financial statement that struck me: B&N will be "... launching new NOOK Apps™." Perhaps they'll fix them and align features between platforms? They also intend to innovate in eInk. Will they respond to the Kobo Aura and up the ante with screen resolution? There was also a reference to committing to bring digital content to "all devices". While I wouldn't expect music on a mute NST, perhaps that's a hint about future capabilities? Most importantly, I think, were repeated references to the fact that a lack of big book blockbusters such as Hunger Games and 50 Shades hurt both digital and store sales. B&N may have remembered that they're in the business of books after all.

"Digital Content" might just mean books, and they might just be saying that they intend to build apps for all platforms (meaning an app for Blackberry again, and surely one for WP8).

I assume the next e-ink nook will have at least the resolution of the Aura, as anything less wouldn't really count as keeping up with the market, let alone "innovative."

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

I've always thought that BN should be in the business of selling content instead of hardware and concentrate its efforts in that direction.  Companies that sell other forms of digital content as their core business typically don't produce hardware consumption devices like mp3 players or set top boxes.  Why should eBooks be any different at this point?

I've also blathered on about BN reducing their software development costs by making one eReader that is HTML5 based and can run in an offline browser instead of developing and maintaining a version for each platform, but the MS deal might keep that from happening.  MS is likely going to want a 1st class eReader experience that exploits all of the features of their OS rather than something that just works on any platform with a modern web browser.

MacMcK1957

Companies that sell other forms of digital content as their core business typically don't produce hardware consumption devices like mp3 players or set top boxes. 

I beg to differ.  The digital music business was built on the combination of the iPod device and the iTunes sales platform.