Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Nook future plans article

mmemarylou wrote:

It's articles like this (http://www.zdnet.com/for-barnes-and-nobles-nook-the-beginning-of-the-end-7000019630/?s_cid=e589&ttag...) that give me cause for alarm.  Primarily because it is the take from someone outside the Nook community who has no stake in the outcome and is reporting information as news.  If there is a good reason to think this is fake or overstatement please help ease my concern.

They're not reporting information as news.  They're reporting idle speculation as news.

keriflur

mmemarylou wrote:

It's articles like this (http://www.zdnet.com/for-barnes-and-nobles-nook-the-beginning-of-the-end-7000019630/?s_cid=e589&ttag...) that give me cause for alarm.  Primarily because it is the take from someone outside the Nook community who has no stake in the outcome and is reporting information as news.  If there is a good reason to think this is fake or overstatement please help ease my concern.

This isn't fake, but I do think it's an overstatement and a misunderstanding of the facts by a media outlet looking for sensationalism to drive people to the site.

Let's just start with the first sentence.  "The U.S. bookseller Barnes & Noble revealed this morning that its core businesses—from brick-and-mortar stores to its Nook e-reader business—are collapsing."  To me, this implies that B&N is admitting their businesses are collapsing, but the linked article is simply a press release of the quarterly results and a statement that they will be releasing new devices in the future.  It certainly doesn't imply collapse.

The article also focuses on the fact that hardware sales are down, which - duh - of course they are down, there hasn't been a new device since 2012.  B&N has stated, and restated here, that there is a new e-ink device coming. 

So, while the numbers clearly aren't on the upswing, they aren't harbingers of collapse.  But "B&N isn't doing better but isn't doing much worse either" isn't going to drive traffic, so we get the dramatic, unsupported headline instead.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Yeah, but look what rumor mongering like this does to the price of a share of stock.  ZDNet seems fond of spreading rumors, and it seems to have benefitted Amazon at Barnes and Noble's expense.  Enough people have believed this rumor to put B&N stock prices in the tank ...

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

There they go again.  One news source quotes another news source, and neither of them is very credible. 

I don't understand the thinking at B&N.  I bought my copies of MS Windows, and my son-in-law bought his MacBook Pro several years ago, but we both still receive regular updates to the software.  Why does B&N believe that software never needs to be updated?  My NT still has some of the same bugs as when I first got it in late 2012, and B&N makes no effort to provide fixes.  That is not an appropriate mentality for participation in a digital market, IMO.  Maybe it's a good thing that the company has decided to stop manufacturing NOOKs.  Clearly, its managers have little comprehension as to what is required to successfully develop, market and support digital consumer electronics.  :smileyfrustrated:

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

There comes a time when the limitations of the product become prohibitive to the development of new software features.  Comparing a computer to the Nook isn't really fair. 

I'd say compare it to the iPhone.  Now while Apple has allowed for previous generations to get the newer iOS releases the further back you go the more issues you'll have.  Generally slowing down of the device, and/or battery consumption.  Also not all features are available.  And eventually the iPhone will no longer be supported.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18

B&N back pedals on tablets? Not really.

[ Edited ]
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: B&N back pedals on tablets? Not really.

More evidence of good solid reporting from cnet.  I really wonder what reality they live in.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

There comes a time when the limitations of the product become prohibitive to the development of new software features.  Comparing a computer to the Nook isn't really fair. 

I'd say compare it to the iPhone.  Now while Apple has allowed for previous generations to get the newer iOS releases the further back you go the more issues you'll have.  Generally slowing down of the device, and/or battery consumption.  Also not all features are available.  And eventually the iPhone will no longer be supported.

Your argument is not very compelling.  First of all, the NOOK Tablet is a computer!  Second, my NT is barely more than a year and a half old, and I don't believe that the software has been updated since some time last year.  Third, correcting errors in software has nothing at all to do with battery consumption.  If somebody is really asserting that, it is nothing more than a weak excuse.  Third, comparing a NOOK Tablet to an Apple iPhone is an invalid analogy.  They are different devices made by different manufacturers for different purposes. 

There is nothing in the NOOK hardware that might prevent the correction of software errors that have been found in the device since its introduction in 2012 (doesn't seem like a very old product, does it?).  There is no good reason for B&N not to fix bugs in the software.  It is unconscionable!  Apparently a lot of people agree with this position. If you don't believe it, take a look at the Barnes and Noble Annual and Quarterly Reports, and check out the current value of a share of stock. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

There is nothing wrong with the basic design of the NOOK tablets.  B&N management just needs to learn about this very exotic concept called after sales support.  Even auto manufacturers know about it.  If B&N management believes that they can really just manufacture and sell a complex product that is made up of both hardware and software, and that there is no need to support the software portion of the product, perhaps they should get out of the digital business entirely. 

Helloooo!  Wake up and smell the coffee!  Why would anybody purchase a NOOK if they believe they will be left without support for a buggy product?