Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Nook future plans article

[ Edited ]

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/06/25/barnes-noble-stops-building-nook-tablets-in-house-partners-...

I think this is a generally what was expected.  Execution, sometimes an issue in the past, will still be critical. 

MacMcK1957

Re: Nook future plans article

I'm still very curious about the future of e-ink devices, who will make them, who will sell them, how they'll be managed.  They're not flashy, no pretty graphics, no Angry Birds, just the best platform for simple text reading, and I can't believe B&N is unaware that they still make up a large volume of e-book sales.

keriflur

"William Lynch, CEO of Barnes & Noble said. “We plan to continue to innovate in the single purpose black-and-white eReader category...""

Well, about darn time he (or anyone at B&N) said there really is a new eink device coming.  Now we just need leaks to give us some clue that whatever they have planned is worth waiting for.

"...Barnes & Noble has failed to make a meaningful impact in the tablet space."

I don't agree with this.  If I remember correctly, B&N was the first maker of a 7-inch tablet in the under-$300 price range. This doesn't jut make them impactful, it makes them a leader.  They just haven't been able to hold on to that lead.

I also disagree that they're doing everyting they can to compete with Amazon - they could put out a new eink device that's capable of competing with the KPW and the Aura.  If they're waiting until Christmas, they'd better be putting out something that's considerably better than whatever the updated KPW has or they're going to lose whatever eink market share they have left by then.

Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

I hate to have to ask, but what is the KPW?
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Kindle PaperWhite
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Mercury_Glitch

keriflur wrote:

"...Barnes & Noble has failed to make a meaningful impact in the tablet space."

I don't agree with this.  If I remember correctly, B&N was the first maker of a 7-inch tablet in the under-$300 price range. This doesn't jut make them impactful, it makes them a leader.  They just haven't been able to hold on to that lead.

I also disagree that they're doing everyting they can to compete with Amazon - they could put out a new eink device that's capable of competing with the KPW and the Aura.  If they're waiting until Christmas, they'd better be putting out something that's considerably better than whatever the updated KPW has or they're going to lose whatever eink market share they have left by then.

B&N was the first to market with a 7" tablet in the sub 300$ market.  And I'll agree that made an impact, it's what caused Amazon to launch the Kindle Fire, and likely lead to Apple launching the iPad Mini (I'll admit there were likely other factors, but they are likely to have roots in the Nook Color).  However I don't think they've been a leader since that time.  Their hardware may have been better, but that doesn't seem to have been a consideration of many people. 

They basically made a big splash and then started throwing pebbles in the pond until today. 

I'm also glad they plan to continue the eInk devices. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
patgolfneb

I agree BN doesn't get credit for having the first truly popular 7 inch tablet. 

I still believe BN could co develop a device with a manufacturer, include a couple of reader centric features and sell their version in store and online only. 

There have been a number of reports today, highlighting down turns in sales.  The surprise is e book sales were not positive news.  The device bad news was expected.  I know e books are only about 1/5 of book sales, but I have to wonder if Apple and Google have increased their share, or Amazon has recovered their larger share. 

I have to wonder if Lynch is going to get the boot. Although he was never given the resources for development and marketing  that were probably needed to succed, he was brought on board to shepard the Nook expansion. If emphasis is changing, unless BN is up for sale, his credibility is damaged.  He has been well paid, my sympathy would be reserved for average employees. 

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

B&N was the first to market with a 7" tablet in the sub 300$ market.  And I'll agree that made an impact, it's what caused Amazon to launch the Kindle Fire, and likely lead to Apple launching the iPad Mini (I'll admit there were likely other factors, but they are likely to have roots in the Nook Color).  However I don't think they've been a leader since that time.  Their hardware may have been better, but that doesn't seem to have been a consideration of many people. 

They basically made a big splash and then started throwing pebbles in the pond until today. 

I'm also glad they plan to continue the eInk devices. 

That's been the recurring problem over the last three years — B&N consistently put out excellent hardware and then took forever to follow up with firmware and content to match. Apps for NOOK Color weren't available until at least four months after launch. Netflix wasn't available until the NOOK Tablet launched. NOOK Video came too late to make a difference, as did the addition of Google Play Store to the system. By the time they added GPS, the ship had long since sailed.

Mercury_Glitch

Just more reasons I'm glad they're focusing on the eInk devices.  It's more of a hardware game, better screen resolution, better light, better touch responsiveness.  Software wise it's mostly tweaks to how the NST line is currently set, better shelving, ToC changes, security options, and an ability to tweak the recomendations to preclude some of the more adult suggestions.  Sure there are folks who want More™ from their NST/G, (I'm one of them, to an extent), but those features are not in strong demand, and are available through rooting.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

And, as expected, some analysts begin hammering the nails into B&N's coffin:

"Brian Sozzi, CEO and chief equities analyst at Belus Capital Advisors, thinks the odds are stacked against a Barnes & Noble turnaround. "I have no confidence in this company surviving," Sozzi says in the attached video."           Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?