Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bcantrell
0 Kudos

Nook or Kindle

Which one is the better deal. Nook or Kindle . They both seem like really good deals. the Nook can hold more but the kindle has more features any suggestions on how to choose between the two?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Re: Nook or Kindle

You're asking here?

The main disadvantage of Kindle is that you can only buy DRMed e-books (and almost all major e-books are DRMed) from Amazon. Furthermore, the DRMed e-books that you buy from Amazon can only be used on Kindles or on Kindle apps, so the more e-books you buy, the more you're locked into Amazon.

With NOOK you can buy e-books from almost anyone except Amazon. You can also borrow e-books from the public library.

The main disadvantage of NOOK is that the flexibility means more technical complication. The Kindle (3G version) is dead simple to use, because it doesn't offer a lot of options. Using NOOK to its full potential takes some time to learn.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I don't own either but I just went through my decision process and arrived at the color nook.  I started off listing all my requirements then graded each tablet against my requirements.  I looked at iPad, Galaxy tab, Archos 7, Viewsonic  etc.  In my case the color nook rated highest due to:

Screen resolution.

Size - iPad is too big

ePub support

microSD support

ability to play music and videos

cost - Galaxy tab is too expensive

Lendme feature

link to bookstore.

vendor support.

It took a few days to do this but I think the time was well spent.  It made me document and rank requirements.  It seems like every week there is a new tablet.  Dell is about to release something.  I feel good about the color nook decision and it is on my Xmas list.

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

I love my Nook.  But my biggest problem with it is the lack of books compared to the Kindle.  There are some publishers in my profession who only publish Kindle ebooks.  This is very frustrating to me.  I may be forced to buy a Kindle just to get these books.

The other advantage to the Kindle is the weight.  Kindle is much lighter. 

Other than those two, I have no complaints about my Nook.  It has served me well.

Correspondent
bookwormmom4
0 Kudos

My sister is a huge reader with very poor eye sight. For years she has been limited to large print books.  She purchased a Nook because of the large print feature.  She is now reading all the books she has always wanted that did not come in large print.  She takes it to the library and gets some of her books for free.

Not only does Nook have e-support, but our local Barnes & Noble store has a group every month to meet folks with Nook and discussing ways to work the e-reader more efficiently.  There she has met friends and they take advantage of the lend books feature.

I am truly hoping Santa brings a Nook to our house this year so we can lend books back and forth.

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" Mark Twain
New User
school_teacher
0 Kudos

I have had a Kindle for a long time and decided to purchase the new NookBook Color because I really like the touch screen feature. I wish I hadn't because:

1.  BookNook requires a Wi-Fi connection while the Kindle is always connected.

2. Kindle allows you to sync what you are currently reading with among all of your mobile apps.

I would stick with the Kindle. It may not be as pretty, but far more convenient, and less expensive.

New User
HairlessJoe
0 Kudos

I have both Nooks now but I picked Nook over Kindle. Right now I will comment on the Ink Nook- from what information I obtained the Nook battery goes bad or you need accessories you can just go to BN for a replacement. The Kindle has to be shipped back because unlike Nook the Kindle is a sealed unit. Another plus is free fridays in BN where you can read books for free on your Nook, Nook coupons where you can get discounts or freebies by showing your Nook. Yes Amazon has more books available but that has not been an issue with me. Now Nook color- it's new and needs alot of improvement where the internet is concerned. There is no flash player, being able to post email/send on AOL would not work at first but I found a way around it just like the ink nook. I am unable to post on Facebook. Surfing the web is good, magazines it does just fine, and because the screen is lit up you do not need the light accessory. Battery life is about 8 hours as opposed to 7 days for the Ink Nook. It has crossword, chess, and Sudoko the Ink Nook has just chess and Sudoko. If you need to decide which Nook is best I suggest you visit a BN near you. 

Frequent Contributor
KC_May
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee wrote:

You're asking here?

The main disadvantage of Kindle is that you can only buy DRMed e-books (and almost all major e-books are DRMed) from Amazon. Furthermore, the DRMed e-books that you buy from Amazon can only be used on Kindles or on Kindle apps, so the more e-books you buy, the more you're locked into Amazon.

Sorry, Doug. That's not true. Plenty of books come DRM-free at Amazon and are marked in the Product Description area with the text "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited." It's the publisher's choice whether to enable DRM on Amazon. If all books are DRM-free at B&N, then readers simply buy the book from B&N and use software like Calibre to convert it to their desired ereader format.

KC

The Kinshield Legacy - $2.99

The Venom of Vipers  - $2.99

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I chose the nook color for a cpl reasons over the Kindle. The main being the color screen and the ability to surf the web.

2nd was I dont do proprietary. being somewhat locked into 1 provider(Itunes is a good example) hits a nerve for me.

I have yet to see a Kindle up close n personel so I cant say much on navigation. I have not come accross anything overly confusing on the Nook.

KC hit on the conversion software angle. I am not real familiar with whats out there but I figure that as time goes by there will be more programs out there to convert format.

It all boils down to what your looking for in a reader

JMHO

phoneboy

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KC_May wrote:

Plenty of books come DRM-free at Amazon and are marked in the Product Description area with the text "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited." It's the publisher's choice whether to enable DRM on Amazon.

KC: my wording was unclear. I should have phrased it this way: "you can buy DRMed e-books (and almost all major e-books are DRMed) only from Amazon" or perhaps "the only place you can buy DRMed e-books (and almost all major e-books are DRMed) is from Amazon."

Yes, Amazon sells some DRM-free e-books. Those aren't major titles, though, which is what that parenthetical bit was about. All of the 'Big 6' US trade publishing houses demand DRM, as do almost all of the other significant publishers. Probably the biggest publishers not requiring DRM are Samhain, Carina, and Baen. And Smashwords, if you want to count them as a publisher.

DRM-free e-books are also available from any number of other e-book sellers, including B&N, and if not already in MOBI format can be converted into it for use on a Kindle. They're not a differentiator for the NOOK vs. Kindle question—the DRMed e-books are. With NOOK, we can buy DRMed e-books from almost anyone except Amazon and Apple. With Kindle, it's Amazon and nobody else.