Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
RVnook
0 Kudos

Re: Nook or Kindle

Doug_Pardee wrote:

DRM-free e-books are also available from any number of other e-book sellers, including B&N, and if not already in MOBI format can be converted into it for use on a Kindle. They're not a differentiator for the NOOK vs. Kindle question—the DRMed e-books are. With NOOK, we can buy DRMed e-books from almost anyone except Amazon and Apple. With Kindle, it's Amazon and nobody else.

This is slightly less true if you use Linux to either manage your collection or to sideload books not purchased from B&N. In that case, buying e-books from Sony is out because they require Sony's Reader Library software, which does not run in Linux or under WINE in Linux. (I don't run Windows and do not have a copy of Windows, so running it on VirtualBox or the like is not an option.) However, both Nook for PC and the Kobo for PC software seem to run just fine  under WINE, although I have yet to figure out how to download books with the Kobo software or to figure out where they are stored if/when they do download.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

RVnook wrote:

However, both Nook for PC and the Kobo for PC software seem to run just fine  under WINE, although I have yet to figure out how to download books with the Kobo software or to figure out where they are stored if/when they do download.

You don't need the Kobo software to download books, you need Adobe Digital Editions.  Once you buy a book at Kobo there is a download epub now button.  Kobo downloads a .acsm file like the libraries do.  The book has to be retrieved from the server using ADE.   I buy books from Kobo all the time, they're my main source of sideloaded eBooks.

Inspired Contributor
RVnook
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

You don't need the Kobo software to download books, you need Adobe Digital Editions.  Once you buy a book at Kobo there is a download epub now button.  Kobo downloads a .acsm file like the libraries do.  The book has to be retrieved from the server using ADE.   I buy books from Kobo all the time, they're my main source of sideloaded eBooks.

Okay. I have not yet tried to rund ADE under Linux. I guess once I work my way through all of the free books I already have, I'll have to give that a try.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a NookColor. I use it mostly for reading books, but I read a lot of non-fiction and technical documents which include color charts, etc. And I like the convenience of checking for info online without having to find a PC handy whilst doing that. On top of that, switch on a little Pandora w/some classical guitar, play an occasional game of chess, and I'm in heaven. To me, the Kindle has a great eInk screen, but the system is limited for my needs and it's hard to navigate outside of just reading and configuration.

My wife has a Kindle. She reads novels exclusively. She's always found the books she's interested in at Amazon and has a habit of buying there. She doesn't like listening to music whilst reading (although it is possible on the Kindle, with MP3's). She loves it. And the Kindle is very light and elegant. For her, the NC is a lot of additional features/complexity she doesn't require or want to deal with.

So we're both happy. :smileyhappy: