Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: NookBook Filter Option Needed

@dalnewt You may want to try searching Edgar Allan Pod, instead of Allen.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melissa_W wrote:

Unlike you, the search function on the B&N web site overlooks inadvertent misspellings like 'Edgar Allen Poe' instead of 'Edgar Allan Poe'.:smileytongue::smileyvery-happy: 

Melissa_W

In your earlier post, you stated you used the advanced search function by using "Edgar Allen Poe" and "hardcover" as your search parameters and only got one hardcover to come up in the results.

Here are the results for "Edgar Allan Poe" and "hardcover" - 364 results.  The general search function may "close match" search parameters but the advanced search function is more specific and does not always overlook input errors.

dalnewt wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

Unlike you, the search function on the B&N web site overlooks inadvertent misspellings like 'Edgar Allen Poe' instead of 'Edgar Allan Poe'.:smileytongue::smileyvery-happy: 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melissa_W wrote:

In your earlier post, you stated you used the advanced search function by using "Edgar Allen Poe" and "hardcover" as your search parameters and only got one hardcover to come up in the results.

Here are the results for "Edgar Allan Poe" and "hardcover" - 364 results.  The general search function may "close match" search parameters but the advanced search function is more specific and does not always overlook input errors.

dalnewt wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

Thanks for the info about Advanced Search being more finicky than general search. Why didn't you just say so in the first place?

(Note, telling me to search for Edgar Allan Pod was obscure and <shrugs> lame.) 

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

@dalnewt

Is there a reason you are insulting me?  My initial response to you was made on a mobile device, with limited capability, so I was attempting to be brief while resolving your issue.  I apologize that auto-complete decided that "Pod" was an appropriate replacement for "Poe" and I did not catch the error before hitting "post". 

Melissa W.
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

@dalnewt

Is there a reason you are insulting me?  My initial response to you was made on a mobile device, with limited capability, so I was attempting to be brief while resolving your issue.  I apologize that auto-complete decided that "Pod" was an appropriate replacement for "Poe" and I did not catch the error before hitting "post". 

No, I'm not insulting you. What I was doing is expressing exactly what I thought about, (and was unable to understand from), your earlier 'Pod' post. I now understand that your reference to Edgar Allan Pod was unintentional, just as my typing Edgar Allen Poe instead of Edgar Allan Poe was inadvertent. 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I agree that there should be a quick and easy way to omit the NOOKbooks from the search in the Books category.  Since I wasn't sure, I just did verify that using the NOOKbooks category gave me only NOOKbooks, and no hardbacks/paperbacks/etc, by searching on Anne Bronte.  I then did the same search in Books, and seven of the first ten results were NOOKbooks.  I don't want to limit my searches to only hardbacks or only paperbacks, and I don't even care if audiobooks are included; I just want to omit the NOOKbooks.  I don't think this is just being picky; the proliferation of e-books has resulted in an overabundance of them in a search that includes all formats.  It's quicker to look through ten results than one hundred and ten!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dalnewt
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I agree that there should be a quick and easy way to omit the NOOKbooks from the search in the Books category.  Since I wasn't sure, I just did verify that using the NOOKbooks category gave me only NOOKbooks, and no hardbacks/paperbacks/etc, by searching on Anne Bronte.  I then did the same search in Books, and seven of the first ten results were NOOKbooks.  I don't want to limit my searches to only hardbacks or only paperbacks, and I don't even care if audiobooks are included; I just want to omit the NOOKbooks.  I don't think this is just being picky; the proliferation of e-books has resulted in an overabundance of them in a search that includes all formats.  It's quicker to look through ten results than one hundred and ten!

Exactly! Regular book people like myself need some consideration too! 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I agree that there should be a quick and easy way to omit the NOOKbooks from the search in the Books category.

[SNIP]

I don't think this is just being picky; the proliferation of e-books has resulted in an overabundance of them in a search that includes all formats.  It's quicker to look through ten results than one hundred and ten!

I read books and I read ebooks.  I don't listen to audiobooks.  I don't like (mass market) paperbacks.  They look ugly on the shelf, the only spine I ever left a crease in was a MMPB, and they aren't comfortable to hold while reading.  :smileywink:

I think your idea is a good one, but I think it misses the mark if you want to just avoid the evil ebook.  I think we should be able to exclude (or include, however they want to do it) any format or combination of formats.

Then you could search everything but ebooks, I could search hardcover, trade paperback and ebook, and someone else could search audiobook and MMPB only.

BN_Rick
0 Kudos

Here's a link that may help on how to search the bookstore.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/cds2.asp?PID=8123&cds2Pid=8510&linkid=1512312

When you search for a book you may also refine your search on the left side of the page for format, hardcover or paperback. I hope this information is helpful.