Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

NookBook Filter Option Needed

[ Edited ]

My recent perusal of B&N offerings written by Edgar Allen Poe alerted me to a problem of no filter to weed out e-books (or, if you have a nookbook, no e-book only option). Maybe I'm missing something when looking at books offered for sale but I kept coming up, ad nauseam, with e-book offerings, and I don't have or don't currently want a nookbook. I really got sick of wading through nookbook offerings. Furthermore, if you are a nookbook person, I'm unaware of any option which just lets you key in on nookbooks when looking under a particular author or subject matter. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: NookBook Filter Option Needed

dalnewt wrote:

My recent perusal of B&N offerings written by Edgar Allen Poe alerted me to a problem of no filter to weed out e-books (or, if you have a nookbook, no e-book only option). Maybe I'm missing something when looking at books offered for sale but I kept coming up, ad nauseam, with e-book offerings, and I don't have or don't currently want a nookbook. I really got sick of wading through nookbook offerings. Furthermore, if you are a nookbook person, I'm unaware of any option which just lets you key in on nookbooks when looking under a particular author or subject matter. 

The advanced search option lets you specify a format.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

I just used the Advanced Search Option to check it out. I typed in Edgar Allen Poe in the author slot, left everything else undefined except for Format which I specified hardback. Well, it only came up with one hardback edition of a book authored by Edgar Allen Poe, and that's just ludicrous. (Note, I just purchased another hard-bound edition that didn't even come up.)

The Advanced Search Option doesn't appear to be a very good option. 

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Use the "NOOKbooks" tab at the top then search or use the drop down next to the search box and chnge the field to NOOKbooks.  I've never had any issues searching this way before.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Nevermore1 wrote:

Use the "NOOKbooks" tab at the top then search or use the drop down next to the search box and chnge the field to NOOKbooks.  I've never had any issues searching this way before.

Yeah, but I'm looking for non-NOOKbooks. You know, just paperbacks and hardbacks. I want some option so I won't have to wade through scores of e-books under a renowned author's name.  And the Advanced Search doesn't really work as demonstrated in my post above. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Have you tried just clicking on "Books" rather than "Nookbooks"?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

I just go to "nookbooks" and then my search is restricted to Nook.  If I click "Books" I get Books.

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

I just used the Advanced Search Option to check it out. I typed in Edgar Allen Poe in the author slot, left everything else undefined except for Format which I specified hardback. Well, it only came up with one hardback edition of a book authored by Edgar Allen Poe, and that's just ludicrous. (Note, I just purchased another hard-bound edition that didn't even come up.)

The Advanced Search Option doesn't appear to be a very good option. 

It is possible that you only found one book because you spelled his name wrong.  Allen should be "Allan."  :smileyhappy:

I have both NOOKs, and agree with you that it's really annoying not being able to weed the ebooks out of a search.  I still buy a lot of paper books and don't like having to scroll through the many listings and formats when I'm looking for something specific.  I've taken to clicking on a book, no matter the format, and finding the format I want through its page. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896

dalnewt wrote:

Nevermore1 wrote:

Yeah, but I'm looking for non-NOOKbooks. You know, just paperbacks and hardbacks. I want some option so I won't have to wade through scores of e-books under a renowned author's name.  And the Advanced Search doesn't really work as demonstrated in my post above. 

Search for the book or author.  On the left it says Refine.  Scroll down, and under 

Format select hardcover, paperback, etc to refine your search

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

dalnewt wrote:

Nevermore1 wrote:

Search for the book or author.  On the left it says Refine.  Scroll down, and under 

Format select hardcover, paperback, etc to refine your search

That sorta works! But I didn't come up with the actual bound edition I ended up buying  from B&N when I searched under the name of Edgar Allen Poe and hit 'Hardcover' listed on the left under Refine. It came up with 15 choices, but didn't pick up the hard-bound edition I purchased,

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics). It's strange that nothing seems to really pick up all the hard-bound editions. Plus, there's no one step option to hit if you just want to peruse all B&N non-nookbook offerings. You have to hit Hardcover, Paperback, Large Print separately, and that's a bit wearisome for those who have no interest in e-books. There's a definite need for an e-book filter, and some obvious glitches in the Hardcover filter.