Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Nookbook more expensive than actual book????

Let me start by saying, "I love my Nook and I have been very happy with Barnes and Noble. I love Free Fridays and the books I have ordered have been wonderful." HOWEVER, today I tried to purchase several books, only to discover the Nookbook version cost more than the book!! Explain this to me? How could a digital copy EVER cost more ? It does not require paper, binding, shipping etc. The nookbooks were on average less than 1.00 more and since I cannot enjoy a Barnes and Noble discount on eBooks this price difference makes me hoppin' mad. I have ordered these particular books through my library. Barnes and Noble needs to fix this... Agreed?

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Re: Nookbook more expensive than actual book????

hardback version 14.77 ebook 14.99

hardback 12.10 ebook 13.80

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

E-books are priced according to what people will pay for them. People are paying those prices.

Many Big Name e-novels are being initially released at $14.99. When they slide off of the best-seller lists, usually in a few days or a couple of weeks, they're repriced at $12.99. When sales drop off even more, they're repriced to $9.99.

If price matters to you, then patience is a virtue. Also being flexible about which e-books you buy. Only the e-books that people "have to have" can get away with high prices; there are hundreds of thousands of other e-books available. B&N is currently showing 266,152 of their 337,708 non-classic NOOKbook titles as being priced at $9.99 or below. That's over 3/4 of them.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Thanks for letting me know the price does drop Doug. I will keep an eye on that. It still irks me that an eBook would ever be priced more than a hardback book. Regardless of what people are willing to pay the cost factor in producing and selling these products is drastically different. I would certainly pay more for a new release eBook as opposed to an older eBook..I just don't want to EVER pay more for a digital copy than an actual book.

Frequent Contributor
tjatkins
0 Kudos

The price always drops.  They are just trying to maximize their profit.  Still hard to believe they would have the nerve to charge more for the e-book though.  Not sure what the justification would be.

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

E-books are priced according to what people will pay for them. People are paying those prices.

If price matters to you, then patience is a virtue.

While it must be true that SOME people are paying those prices, you and B&N should understand that some of us will not.   If we're really eager to read the book soon, we'll turn to our library (most of us are experts at getting in early on the waiting lists) or pay the higher amount for a regular book -  one which we may pass on, unlimited, to others, trade,  keep for our own libraries, or donate to veterans, shelters, or other underserved populations.

My nook is a convenience for me, and I love it for traveling, but I will not be gamed into paying more than a thing is really worth.  B&N clearly makes a profit when the book's price point is $9.99.  You will never make ANY profit on that same book, from many of us who acquire it in an alternative way during the time you offer it at an unjustifiable price.   Furthermore, you erode customer loyalty.   I think if you offer a new, highly desirable book at the "under ten dollars"  price point that many of us were attracted to, you will sell a volume that will make up for the higher margin on fewer sales at the higher price.  And you'll make your customers happier.  That sounds to me like a win-win marketing strategy.  As you no doubt know, book buyers have lots of choices these days,

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

kimba88, I understand your point about paying more for an eBook vs. the hardcover edition.  Regarding "A Discovery of Witches," I just checked the NY Times Best Seller List and that book isn't listed under the category of Hardcover Fiction, yet, the $14.99 Nookbook price still exists.

Also, another piece to the puzzle is the date listed for publishing.  Feb 2011 is listed, however, there is a customer review that goes back to November 23, 2010. 

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

tjatkins wrote:

They are just trying to maximize their profit.  Still hard to believe they would have the nerve to charge more for the e-book though.  Not sure what the justification would be.

You already stated the justification: "to maximize their profit." The book industry is not in business to provide inexpensive books to the masses as a benevolent calling. They're in business to make money. The 'Big 6' American publishing houses are all multi-national conglomerates, and a company doesn't become a multi-national conglomerate by being nice. They do it by maximizing profit.

BookWoman718 wrote:

B&N clearly makes a profit when the book's price point is $9.99.

Not so clearly at all. There are two bookseller contract models for e-books: agency and retail.

Five of the 'Big 6' publishing houses use the agency model. They set the minimum selling price for the e-book, and the seller is not allowed to do any discounting, couponing, or any other price reductions. In this model, B&N gets a commission on each sale, reportedly 30%. So on these e-books, they're probably making a profit. But they also have no control over the prices. Almost all of the prices that people complain about are Agency Model prices, set by the publisher, and blaming B&N for the prices is pointless. Of the two books that kimba88 specifically complained about, A Discovery of Witches is an Agency Model e-book that B&N can't reduce the price on.

Random House and most of the smaller publishers use the same retail model that they use for printed books. The seller buys the e-book at a discount off of the cover price, then resells it for whatever they want. Typical discounts for e-books are reportedly around 50%. Of the two books that kimba88 specifically complained about, A Red Herring Without Mustard is a Random House e-book sold on the retail model. The list price is $23.00, so B&N probably pays RH a wholesale price of about $11.50 for each one they sell. Clearly, selling it at $9.99 does not result in a profit for B&N.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote: Also, another piece to the puzzle is the date listed for publishing.  Feb. 2011 is listed, however, there is a customer review that goes back to November 23, 2010

CasperAZ the release date is Feb 2011. A review prior to that was done by someone who received an advanced copy in order to post a review.  I am glad I am not the only one upset by the pricing of new eBooks vs. hardcover editions :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

A Red Herring Without Mustard is $9.99 as a KIndle book. 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert