Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
scott88

Re: Nookbook more expensive than actual book????

[ Edited ]

kimba88 wrote:

Let me start by saying, "I love my Nook and I have been very happy with Barnes and Noble. I love Free Fridays and the books I have ordered have been wonderful." HOWEVER, today I tried to purchase several books, only to discover the Nookbook version cost more than the book!! Explain this to me? How could a digital copy EVER cost more ? It does not require paper, binding, shipping etc. The nookbooks were on average less than 1.00 more and since I cannot enjoy a Barnes and Noble discount on eBooks this price difference makes me hoppin' mad. I have ordered these particular books through my library. Barnes and Noble needs to fix this... Agreed?

A ebook has The cost of the servers, bandwith, tech support....
It is not a question of what B&N gets from selling a book but what you get. You pay X for a ebook (same cost as the DTB) do you not get a book that is more convenient to carry around, to bookmark (no looking around for scrap paper), highlighting? If you like the ebook format then what is the problem with paying the same price (and if you do not like ebooks what are you doing with a nook)? As long as the book is worth more then X to you then what is the problem?

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

scott88 wrote:
A ebook has The cost of the servers, bandwith, tech support....
It is not a question of what B&N gets from selling a book but what you get. You pay X for a ebook (same cost as the DTB) do you not get a book that is more convenient to carry around, to bookmark (no looking around for scrap paper), highlighting? If you like the ebook format then what is the problem with paying the same price (and if you do not like ebooks what are you doing with a nook)? As long as the book is worth more then X to you then what is the problem?

Scott don't get me wrong. I love my nook. One of the many reasons I have a nook is because the cost of eBooks are cheaper and when you read on average 3-5 books a week, this tends to be a big deal. If a new eBook was priced the same as its hardcover version and I could enjoy the same Barnes and Noble members discount I wouldn't be complaining. Yes there are costs to produce and distribute eBooks, but the cost is far less than that of a hardcover. My Biggest complaint is that I shouldn't have to pay MORE for an eBook. If you look at my original post you will see that I was aggravated by the eBook costing more than the hardcover edition.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

The 'Big 6' American publishing houses are all multi-national conglomerates, and a company doesn't become a multi-national conglomerate by being nice. They do it by maximizing profit.

This sparks my curiosity in light of nook users not able to purchase books outside the U.S.

Amazon sells books outside the U.S. Is it because the have an international online presence and B&N is only U.S.? It would seem that these multi-national companies would allow sales when outside the U.S. Or is this something limited by our own copyright laws?

Wouldn't this go further in maximizing their profit?

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

If the publishers continue to gauge the consumers with higher prices for eBooks vs. the hardcover editions, I can only deduct that their greediness will lead toward more piracy. Apple learned their lesson because I don't see any iTunes that are more expensive than their CD equivalents.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Multi-nationalism

Desert_Brat wrote:

Amazon sells books outside the U.S. Is it because the have an international online presence and B&N is only U.S.?

Essentially, yes, but it's not just an international online presence. Amazon is a multi-national corporation comprising multiple business operating in a number of countries. They have a physical presence as well as an online presence, and use local publishers, distributors, warehouses, shippers, banks, and such; they operate under the local laws and collect and pay the appropriate sales/VAT taxes. Sometimes Amazon's online presence is from the US while the physical presence is in the associated countries; I believe this is the case for Canada at least.

B&N isn't multi-national; it doesn't have any presence outside of the US. They've talked about maybe doing something about that in maybe three years or so. They've mentioned maybe working some partnership deals with e-book sellers in other countries (Waterstones UK was specifically mentioned) in the interim, if they can work it out. There's a bunch of maybes in there.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

avid_reader1590 wrote:

A Red Herring Without Mustard is $9.99 as a KIndle book. 

Amazon has long been known for selling eBooks at $9.99 and reportedly taking up to a $3 loss per book.  Since Amazon sells everything under the sun, they can put new books out as loss leaders and make up the price somewhere else. 

IMHO this was part of the decision by the publishers to go to Agency Pricing as they didn't like Amazon's pricing structure and decided this was a  way to combat it.  As much as I don't particularly like the concept of agency pricing, I also wonder how B&N would have kept up with Amazon pricing, if, as the articles have stated, the $9.99 price point results in a loss on each book sold. 

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble should buck the system and pull the rug underneath Amazon by offering all NY Times Best Sellers for a flat price of $7.99.  Saturate the airwaves and the Internet with this price slash and have a TV ad where a group of people holding Kindles have a bonfire and shout, "We made the switch." Have billboard advertisements and flood E-mail with this price slash.  Sure, Barnes and Noble will have to face the music with the publishers for orchestrating such a bold move but the generation of sales will in the long run make those publishers eat their words.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Contributor
witnwool
0 Kudos

I, too, am very frustrated by this.  I wanted to buy 2 books today and both hardcover books were cheaper than the Nook ebooks.  To add to my frustration, I went to Amazon to check the prices there and their ebook of A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley was almost $4.00 cheaper than the B&N ebook!  How can that be? 

This price difference can't be blamed on publishers.  I feel like I am trapped because I want to use my Nook but I have to pay more than I would for a hardcover copy of the book.

I also resent that I get the B&N newsletter eacn week with discount coupons which aren't good for ebooks.  Yesterday I got a request to do a survey from B&N on the Nook and the future Nook versions.  The "reward" for my time was a coupon from B&N which wasn't good for ebooks!!  That's ironically ridiculous!!

I may just download the Amazon Kindle app so I can buy the above book.  I refuse to pay that much more for the same ebook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

Barnes and Noble should buck the system and pull the rug underneath Amazon by offering all NY Times Best Sellers for a flat price of $7.99.  Saturate the airwaves and the Internet with this price slash and have a TV ad where a group of people holding Kindles have a bonfire and shout, "We made the switch." Have billboard advertisements and flood E-mail with this price slash.  Sure, Barnes and Noble will have to face the music with the publishers for orchestrating such a bold move but the generation of sales will in the long run make those publishers eat their words.

They can't just do that, because they have a contract with the publishers, they wont' be facing the music, they'd be facing a breach of contract lawsuit.  And, $7.99 is pretty much their profit on the book, so not only would they get hit with a lawsuit, they'd also lose money.  

Look at the top 20-30 selling eBooks on both B&N at any given time, there's always several books

at $12.99 or higher.  Donald Rumsfeld's new book, Known and Unknown is $19.99 and it's number 20.  The higher priced eBooks are selling, it appears that most consumers are not put off by the prices, so what is the incentive to lower them.  People who post on these boards probably represent less than 1% of the total eBook owners/buyers. 

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

CasperAZ  wrote: 

CasperAZ you are a Hoot.. I so enjoy reading your comments! Hopefully our comments will be heard. I myself requested these items from my local library. If B&N wants to blame the publishing house than neither of them will benefit from the sale of these books .