Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: "Angle of attack" is not a Karate move

Because of the inherent dangers resulting from booms, many small sailboats are boomless.  They are safer and easier for beginners to sail.

Boomless-Sailboat.jpg

I guess I should have been more specific with my use of the word "small."  :smileyembarrassed:

I have a SMEL-IA.  I completed the airwork and passed the written for my commercial, but I sold my airplanes before I got it, so I am a Private Pilot.

I took a demo flight in a sailplane one time in Ohio (Schweizer).  I loved it, but moved away before I was able to take lessons.  It probably would not have taken me very long to obtain a sailplane rating because I already had my pilot's license. 

You are correct that the incident in the AC races occurred during the upwind leg, so it was while the boats were tacking, and not jibing.  My mistake.

If I had lived in a location where water was readily available, I would probably have learned to sail.  No such luck, however, so I learned to fly, instead. 

I have been a visitor/passenger aboard a 19' Flying Scot daysailer on Lake Michigan in a heavy swell, and on a 40'+ Bermuda-rigged Ketch on a harbor on the Pacific in flat water.  Other than that, I have never been on a sailboat.  I was always fascinated, however, with the similarities between sailing and flying, especially the way that the sails on a sailboat work like the wing on an airplane. 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Peace and quiet is fun

deesy58 wrote:

I took a demo flight in a sailplane one time in Ohio (Schweizer).  I loved it, but moved away before I was able to take lessons.  It probably would not have taken me very long to obtain a sailplane rating because I already had my pilot's license. 

....  Other than that, I have never been on a sailboat.  I was always fascinated, however, with the similarities between sailing and flying, especially the way that the sails on a sailboat work like the wing on an airplane. 

Six to ten hours is usually what it takes for a Private Pilot Glider add-on rating to a Private Pilot Airplane certificate.  If you are still in Nevada, given the good soaring conditions there, I would think there are a number of opportunities to do the add-on.

I've been on a sailboat three times, and enjoyed every minute of it.

The first time I was in junior high school, and my mother's best friend invited me to spend the weekend at her family's lakeside home.  She had three sons, three small speedboats built by their father, and one small sailboat.  It didn't take much mathematics to figure out that I was probably only going to get token access to the speedboats, so I went to the school's library and devoured a book on sailing.  I then spent the entire weekend sailing on the small lake, and had a blast (there was no competition for the use of the sailboat).

I turned down opportunites to try out the powerboats.  I guess there is something missing in my genetic makeup that most other males have, that makes them thrilled with anything that goes "vroom, vroom, VROOM."  I've used electric mowers and chainsaws for decades.  Of necessity, I do have a gasoline-powered generator for power outages, and boy is it noisy.

So, I think that's one reason that I like sailboats and sailplanes.  Another reason just might be that I enjoy a vehicle that takes some brains to operate, not one that is intended to thrill just by going to full throttle.  Ever notice how most motorcycles seem to have such "ineffective" mufflers?  QED

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: Peace and quiet is fun

I stopped flying after I sold my planes. 

The soaring opportunities are clearly here, but, sadly, my health no longer permits me to take advantage of them.

My first ride on a sailboat was on Lake Michigan in a 6-10 foot cross-chop.  It was an adventure, to say the least.  The boat's owner was an expert sailor and member of the local racing fleet who also competed in regional events.  He had a large number of trophies that attested to his abilities, and when we returned to the harbor, he sailed the boat right up to the mooring buoy and stopped.  The boat had no motor, but the sailor's skill in maneuvering the boat was something to behold.

How long did it take you to get the hang of sailing that small sailboat?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:...

How long did it take you to get the hang of sailing that small sailboat?

Sorry for the late response (been busy).

Well, it was only 55 years ago, but I remember learning quickly, so it probably just took a couple hours.  Remember, this was on a small lake, with probably not much of a breeze, so that probably made everything work in slow-motion, which was probably a help.

So far, I've watched the final AC race 13 times, but part of that was getting YouTube working correctly on my TV, Nook HD+, and BluRay player.  The latter I returned to Costco because of problems connecting reliably to YouTube, and bought another.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I picked up a chromecast on day 1, for a net of 12 with the 3 months of netflix. great for youtube and for music streaming - if the browser can see it, the tv can, too.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Suddenly Chromecast

[ Edited ]

Not sure I followed the shift in topic Roust, but I've snagged a couple of Chromecasts as well. There's not a lot that works with it yet, but if HBO Go and others come on board, it'll be great. Already well worth the money just for Netflix. I stuck one in my road bag. I believe they've discontinued the Netflix offer though.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Suddenly Chromecast

Sorry, it was my one-finger response to Dean's headache with getting DVD players to stream Youtube properly.   Thus, no pesky transition element. 

While there are very few apps that can talk to 'em yet, Youtube is one of them (Netflix and I think the tv streaming company being the others) and Chrome tab streaming of embedded video is great. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Sorry for the late response (been busy).

Well, it was only 55 years ago, but I remember learning quickly, so it probably just took a couple hours.  Remember, this was on a small lake, with probably not much of a breeze, so that probably made everything work in slow-motion, which was probably a help.

So far, I've watched the final AC race 13 times, but part of that was getting YouTube working correctly on my TV, Nook HD+, and BluRay player.  The latter I returned to Costco because of problems connecting reliably to YouTube, and bought another.

I recorded all of the races on my DVR, but have since deleted them.  I did, however, find them to be quite entertaining -- as entertaining as any other sporting event I have ever watched. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Suddenly Chromecast

roustabout wrote:
[...] While there are very few apps that can talk to 'em yet, Youtube is one of them (Netflix and I think the tv streaming company being the others) and Chrome tab streaming of embedded video is great.
I believe Hulu is supporting Chromecast now. If you're having issues getting other streaming solutions working with your TV, and if what you want to view is available on Netflix, YouTube or a Chrome desktop browser, the C'Cast is definitely worth $35 to try out!