Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Re: On This Day in Literary History

May 28th, 1908

Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, is born in London. Chris Blackwell, the founder of Island Records and the man responsible for bringing Bob Marley into the world's spotlight, is currently developing Fleming's Jamaican estate into a world class resort. Incidentally, Blackwell's mother Blanche just may have been the model for Pussy Galore.

Paul_Hochman

May 29th, 1874

G.K. Chesterton, creator of Father Brown and author of The Man Who Was Thursday, is born in London. Renowned for his size -- both vertical and horizontal -- Chesterton had the following exchange with George Bernard Shaw:

Chesterton: "'To look at you, anyone would think there was a famine in England."

Shaw: "'To look at you, anyone would think you caused it."

May 29th, 1906

T.H. White, the author of The Once and Future King, is born in Bombay, India. J.K. Rowling cites White as a major influence on the Harry Potter Series.

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

May 30, 1593

Christopher Marlowe, English Playwright, is murdered in Deptford, England. For more on the mysterious Marlowe, Charles Nicholl's Reckoning is a must read.

May 30, 1960

Boris Pasternak, author Doctor Zhivago, dies in Russia. The great critic, Edmund Wilson, said Zhivago was, "a great act of faith in art and in the human spirit."

Paul_Hochman

May 31, 1819

Walt Whitman, "America's Poet", is born in Long Island, New York.

To A Stranger

Passing stranger! you do not know how longingly I look upon you,

You must be he I was seeking, or she I was seeking, (it comes to me as of a dream,)

I have somewhere surely lived a life of joy with you,

All is recall'd as we flit by each other, fluid, affectionate, chaste, matured,

You grew up with me, were a boy with me or a girl with me,

I ate with you and slept with you, your body has become not yours only nor left my body mine only,

You give me the pleasure of your eyes, face, flesh, as we pass, you take of my beard, breast, hands, in return,

I am not to speak to you, I am to think of you when I sit alone or wake at night alone,

I am to wait, I do not doubt I am to meet you again,

I am to see to it that I do not lose you.

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

June 1st, 1831

John Bell Hood, Confederate General and the author of Advance and Retreat, is born in Owingsville, Kentucky. Robert Hicks, the bestselling author of The Widow of the South, has written a beautifully moving novel about Hood, his wife, and their eleven children entitled A Separate Country. It's due out this September and thus far it's one of my top two favorite books of 2009!

A Separate Country 

Message Edited by PaulH on 06-02-2009 05:11 AM
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

June 2nd, 1740

The Marquis de Sade, author of Justine and Juliette, is born in Paris. Sade spent almost half his life in prisons and asylums for his "libertine" pursuits.

June 2nd, 1962

Vita Sackville-West, the author of All Passion Spent, passes away. Sackville-West's affair with Virginia Woolf is the subject of Karyn Z. Sproles' book, Desiring Women.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

TBR..Fall 2009.Thanks Paul...Southern Writers are decendents of proably some of the best storytellers...Scottish,Irish,..A few yrs ago I came across a new author for me"Silas House"  his books depict the real south at that time,which few have even known(speaking of Northeners like myself),throughly eye opening..and beautifully written...V

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

In the meantime, you should definitely pick up Hick's Widow of the South. The book is so good it inspired me to drive 2000 miles in 3 days to see the actual graveyard at Carnton.

Vermontcozy wrote:

TBR..Fall 2009.Thanks Paul...Southern Writers are decendents of proably some of the best storytellers...Scottish,Irish,..A few yrs ago I came across a new author for me"Silas House"  his books depict the real south at that time,which few have even known(speaking of Northeners like myself),throughly eye opening..and beautifully written...V

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Did you go to any cool' Diners" along the way?The bridge that I purchased from you and having renamed next week,tell me please that's its mine !!! On that note,and your great storytelling abilities,I will,have a look on BN...V
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

No diners, but certainly a bar or five in Nashville. Franklin -- the setting of the story -- is just south of Nashville.

Vermontcozy wrote:
Did you go to any cool' Diners" along the way?The bridge that I purchased from you and having renamed next week,tell me please that's its mine !!! On that note,and your great storytelling abilities,I will,have a look on BN...V