Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22

Phrases or expressions we could do without.

[ Edited ]

Do any of you cringe when you read certain phrases or expressions which have invaded our common language and are either way overused or just don't make much sense?

This one really gets to me:

"It is what it is."

Is it? Yeah, I guess it is, isn't it"

Another annoying, cloying phrase:

"At the end of the day."

Please add to this list. I'm interested to see which phrases you folks recognize as useless due to overuse or plain senselessness.

Oh yeah. Another one.

Anything having to do with the word "Icon."  Remember when the word had some power, some meaning, some thrust to it?

Sorry, it's gone. It's been used to death.

I read recently that Lady GaGa is an icon. She's a lot of things, including an interesting entertainer, but an icon she ain't.

Last one:

"price point"

This little gem is just popping up all over.

Now maybe there is a place where it is proper to use it and it has a different meaning than just the word "price" standing alone. But if there is, I haven't seen it.

"B&N has introduced a new e-reader at a price point of $139."

I mean, what's the point? (pun intended) Why not say, "... at a price of $139."

I think people use "price point" in an attempt to sound cool or something.

Please add to this list. Tell us the words or phrases that are raising your linguistic/literary hackles and why.

Thank you.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Contributor
Bookends67

Re: Phrases or expressions we could do without.

Can't stand all the "my bad, we bad, you bad," etc....

Also "Baby Daddy" and "Baby Momma"

Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens
0 Kudos

Sorry, I must have missed something: is this about the N1E or N2E? Because otherwise it seems completely off-topic.

Contributor
M_E_G
0 Kudos

ynot22 wrote:

Do any of you cringe when you read certain phrases or expressions which have invaded our common language and are either way overused or just don't make much sense?

No. I tend to cringe when someone (other than the site owner) tries to dictate how I (or others) post on a public forum.

If it's not obscene or deliberately inflammatory why bother with how other people choose to express themselves?

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22

mpclemens wrote:

Sorry, I must have missed something: is this about the N1E or N2E? Because otherwise it seems completely off-topic.

Yes, you're missing something.

But thanks for your revealing input anyway.

Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens

[ Edited ]

This is a product-specific forum, intended for discussion of the N1E and N2E. Perhaps you were aiming for another forum and missed?

[Edited for spelling snafu]

Correspondent
timetravel

Don't "disrespect" me. 

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

M_E_G wrote:

No. I tend to cringe when someone (other than the site owner) tries to dictate how I (or others) post on a public forum.

"... tries to dictate ... ."

Uh, where is this "attempted dictation" to which you refer?

God, some of you people seem to have lost what little minds you had.

A number of you seem to have taken a personal dislike for me and therefore tend to jump on anything and everything i write.

I can accept valid criticism of what I write, of course,  But I can't and will not accept spurious, misleading crap like this.

Again, where is anyone attempting to dictate what anyone else writes?

This was a simple query asking people what overused or trite phrases they found annoying.

And that's all it was.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

Let me ask you this ynot22, why does how other people post bug you so much?  If you don't like the post you don't have to read it you can skip over to the next post.  Most people's posts reflect the way they speak in person.  If a person uses cliches in their speech that's the way they post as well.  You don't have to talk the same or post the same but, to be critical about other people's posting style is just mean spirited.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

shadowcat80 wrote:

Let me ask you this ynot22, why does how other people post bug you so much?  If you don't like the post you don't have to read it you can skip over to the next post.  Most people's posts reflect the way they speak in person.  If a person uses cliches in their speech that's the way they post as well.  You don't have to talk the same or post the same but, to be critical about other people's posting style is just mean spirited.

Well, I guess at the end of the day, it is what it is, right?  :smileywink: