Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
timetravel

Re: Phrases or expressions we could do without.

ynot22 wrote:

timetravel wrote:

Don't "disrespect" me. 

Sorry. My bad.

Ummm. actually I was answering the subject question.  I hate the term disrespect used incorrectly.  I think I will just tiptoe out of the crazy room and find another discussion.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

I am having a lot of trouble understanding how/why this thead has turned into a thread bashing others.  The only error the OP may have made in their original post is to not label it OT in the subject line.  Users were very quick to attack the OP for making an OT post and not any other reason.  Yes, the OP starting attacking right back when needed.  I do know that the OP will not hesitate to attack anyone if he/she feels as though he/she is being attacked in any way. There is also a user who feels as though the post is attacking her and I don't see where she is getting that impression from.

Over the last few months it seems that these boards are turning into a place to go when you want to start an argument with someone instead of getting or sharing pertinent information.  A lot of the newer users have been extremely anal about any OT posts and feel the need to start stuff up (yes, the majority of the offenders are the newer users per their post counts).  I can understand getting annoyed when a thread goes very OT or is hijacked but see no reason for there to not be the occasional OT thread.

I am done with my rant.  All of you can go ahead and attack me now because that is the way these boards work these days...

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

OT: and there were 3+ threads from whiny whiners about the battery running down to 97% after hours of use and that the first bits of frost from hell freezing over were visible on their front lawns.

There isn't enough road in my skull for my eyes to roll.

ty.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:
Well, I guess at the end of the day, it is what it is, right?  :smileywink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM0dbwDc2FE

Well played!

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

Nevermore1 wrote:

Over the last few months it seems that these boards are turning into a place to go when you want to start an argument with someone instead of getting or sharing pertinent information.  A lot of the newer users have been extremely anal about any OT posts and feel the need to start stuff up (yes, the majority of the offenders are the newer users per their post counts).  I can understand getting annoyed when a thread goes very OT or is hijacked but see no reason for there to not be the occasional OT thread.

I am done with my rant.  All of you can go ahead and attack me now because that is the way these boards work these days...

I totally agree. I read the first post and it seemed as if OP was just talking about things he is tired of hearing/ reading. He mentioned a bunch of phrases that are overused to the point of being cliched. Not sure why everyone got themselves all worked up over it; if you didn't like what he said then don't keep reading. Even more importantly don't respond.

Its pointless to come here and post if you can't even say anything that deviates from what everyone else is talking about out of fear of being flamed.

I suppose if you want to get on here and complain for the millionth time about the minutae that bothers you about the Nook you'll fit right in.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

Nevermore1 wrote:

I am having a lot of trouble understanding how/why this thead has turned into a thread bashing others.  The only error the OP may have made in their original post is to not label it OT in the subject line.  Users were very quick to attack the OP for making an OT post and not any other reason.  Yes, the OP starting attacking right back when needed.  I do know that the OP will not hesitate to attack anyone if he/she feels as though he/she is being attacked in any way. There is also a user who feels as though the post is attacking her and I don't see where she is getting that impression from.

The OP is not being attacked because of this thread specifically, but because he/she has been insulting many others across many other threads.  he/she is intent in talking down to everyone on this board and acting quite superior to all and again, insulting everyone they can. 

you are seeing the reaction to the OP's poor treatment of others in other threads spilling into this one.

he.she is a troll looking for attention and to generate as many responses as they can to ramblings and insults.  and we take it hook line and sinker

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

Nevermore1 wrote:

I am having a lot of trouble understanding how/why this ahead has turned into a thread bashing others.  The only error the OP may have made in their original post is to not label it OT in the subject line.  Users were very quick to attack the OP for making an OT post and not any other reason.  Yes, the OP starting attacking right back when needed.  I do know that the OP will not hesitate to attack anyone if he/she feels as though he/she is being attacked in any way. There is also a user who feels as though the post is attacking her and I don't see where she is getting that impression from.

Finally. Thank you.

I started this post in an attempt to discover what commonly used words or phrases people find trite or used so much that they become virtually meaningless.

And maybe, just maybe, have a little fun with it.

Yes, in a way it is OT. And in a way it isn't.

I have to assume the board is composed primarily of people who enjoy reading books. And, in my experience, most people who enjoy reading books care at least a little bit about words, the meaning of words and how they are used or misused.

Words are precious to me.

I mentioned the word "icon" and words which are derived from it in an earlier post.

This word, and its derivatives, were once powerful, expressive words.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. Overuse and misuse have watered down "icon" and sucked the life out of it and it's derivatives. It'll only make a comeback after people cease to sling it around like cheap hash.

Liz Taylor was an icon. She can justifiably be called an icon or an iconic actor

Angeline Jolie and Julia Roberts are good actors. They are not icons.

I pray you good people can see the difference. if you can't, you have fallen victim to those who misuse the word. And more's the pity.

This is what I was getting at with the OP.

Take the word "awesome," for example. It's tossed around like Kleenex into a wastebasket these days.

The Grand Canyon is awesome. A new sandwich offering from McDonalds is not.

But due to overuse and misuse of the word, some people no longer see the difference

Words, their meaning and how people use them are fascinating to me. I think we should be careful how we use our words. We shouldn't waste or squander them.

Yes, the OP was OT.

My mistake, I guess.

Let's just keep our single topic, the Nook, narrowed down to a laser like focus.

It's looking like no further deviation from the Nook will be tolerated by the self-appointed guardians of this board.

Is this the direction in which this board is devolving? From here on in, it's Nook or nothing? Is that it?

Bring back the Dark Ages. Here here. They were a blast.

WE   WILL   HAVE   ORDER   HERE.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RSC_Nook wrote:

The OP is not being attacked because of this thread specifically, but because he/she has been insulting many others across many other threads.  he/she is intent in talking down to everyone on this board and acting quite superior to all and again, insulting everyone they can. 

you are seeing the reaction to the OP's poor treatment of others in other threads spilling into this one.

he.she is a troll looking for attention and to generate as many responses as they can to ramblings and insults.  and we take it hook line and sinker

Most of what you had to say above is pure, unadulterated bullshite.

And the most troubling aspect of this is you know it. You are intentionally trying to mislead people.

But that's OK. Your intentional misrepresentation of the facts is overshadowed by your introduction of a single, crucial element of truth.

What you're saying here, ADMITTING here is:

"Oh, but WE feel he has started some other stuff in some other posts, so WE are now taking the opportunity to jump all over him for posting something WE feel is/was OT.

I think I will get my licks in now along with the rest of the lynch mob."

I thank you for your honesty, inadvertent though it may have been.

What did that truly iconic author say? Oh yes, "The truth will out." Hee hee.

Hoist on your own petard, my dear.

I salute you anyway, though you deserve it not.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Wordsmith
Sardonicus

Faux-righteous indignation we could do without.

[ Edited ]

shadowcat80 wrote:

There's no worth to continue this thread.  . . .no reason to continue this pointless banter.  

:smileysurprised:And yet, you [and others] have responded to this thread several times.

By now, you're able to identify this thread by its title and consequently can avoid what you/they  [pretend to] abhor if you wish. :smileyindifferent:  Why not do so?

Only curious . . . :smileyindifferent:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

[ Edited ]

I am occasionally puzzled when TV media folks warn viewers, "The following images may be graphic."

Aren't all images graphic?:smileysurprised:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell