Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
crabsomatic
0 Kudos

:Publishers not adhering to $9.99 pricing

I know I'm not the only one who feels suckered.  I bought the nook expecting ebooks to be $9.99 or less. I've seen ebooks that are being priced over $20 dollars - but the new trend seems to $12.99. This is NOT the fault of Barnes & Noble, but it's the fault the publishers, as they are setting the pricing structure.

I have reviewed books and urged publishers to go back to the $9.99 or less pricing model.  I explained that what happened to the music industry is going to also happen to the ebook industry - Piracy.  When piracy happens, Barnes & Nobel lose money, the publishers lose money, and most importantly, the authors themselves lose money.  Many times, the paperback version is cheaper than the ebook version!!  Explain that one!

Therefore, I urge everyone to only purchase ebooks that are 1.) Lendable and 2.) priced at $9.99 or less.  The link below will take you to over 73,000 titles that fit both criteria.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?FMT=LEND&SRT=R&STORE=EBOOK&SZE=10&AREF=1...

If many consumers do this, hopefully it will force the publishers to reexamine their pricing model and keep digital ebooks at a more reasonable price.

Feel free to leave your comments here, pro or con, as I'd love to hear other views on this.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
MichelleWachbrit
0 Kudos

Re: :Publishers not adhering to $9.99 pricing

Ebooks are seriously being sold for that much? Why would I pay that much for an ebook when I could spend the same thing on an actual physical copy? That makes no sense to me. I can't imagine what these publishers are thinking.

Check my website (http://thelastguardianbook.com/) to buy my YA book, read the first chapter, look over character bios, and much more!
B&N: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/e/9780984154364/
Contributor
CeCeSG
0 Kudos

I'm on board.  I refuse to by an e-book of $9.99.  There are too many books on my too read list to read a book that's costs that much.

~CeCe
Correspondent
meg820
0 Kudos

I try to only buy books that are less than $5. I prefer free but sometimes it's just not there. I'm pretty new at the whole ebook thing, but I think it's ridiculous that an ebook would cost more than a physical copy. I definitely won't be spending over $9.99 now. Thanks for the info!

Meghan

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater
0 Kudos

I have had that policy for a while now.  I keep a spreadsheet of books I want to read, and their prices.  Every week or so I check to see if the prices on the more expensive ones have dropped.  If they have, especially if they are below $9.99 (an arbitrary price), I "reward" the publisher by buying to book.  I am hoping their "numbers" will then reflect that pricing at or below $9.99 is their sweet spot.

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

See, this is why, me personally, think that eReaders are not worth it. Soon, it's all going to be come just a money spree and they are going to forget about the readers themselves. Better yet, stop buying the books and go exclusively through your library.. free and ereading is offered in ALOT of libraries!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Frequent Contributor
Flyweight
0 Kudos

@OP

Why do you think $9.99 is a fair price for an ebook?   Why not $8.99 or $7.99?  What's your rationale for $9.99?

Are you saying that if you found a book you really wanted to read and it were priced at $10.00 you wouldn't buy it?

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@OP

Why would the publishers stick to a $9.99 pricing model?  That was not an industry standard, that was an Amazon standard.  And in many ways it was a bad business move for them to make.  Amazon just woke up one day and decided that it was going to guarantee $9.99 or less on ebooks....no one else ever had anything to do with that so there's no reason for the publishers to stick to that.  I agree that some of the pricing from the publishers is a little outrageous, just don't buy those books.  If there's a book that I really want and the ebook is $12.99, I will pay it....if I can live without it then I'll get it from the library.  Either way, I win.  But pricing works in much the same way as actual books.  If only the hardcover is available, the ebook will be more expensive.  If a paperback is available, most times the ebook will be slightly cheaper than that.  There are cases where the paperback is more expensive and I agree that is ridiculous, but I just don't buy those books.  But I personally feel that demanding a $9.99 price point isn't going to happen at this point since it was a flawed notion to begin with, and if I want a book badly enough I will pay the $12.99 that seems to be most common now. 

With all that said....I have about 150 ebooks at the moment.  Only about 10 of those have a paid more than about $8 for, and a majority of them were free. 

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Frequent Contributor
Flyweight
0 Kudos

Agreed, Steffie. $9.99 is arbitrary and there's no way Amazon could have maintained that pricing in the long run. One of the advantages of agency pricing is that it levels the playing field for companies like BN. People..we are talking about ebooks here. Are you telling me that you couldn't forego a $3 purchase of, say, a cup of coffee to put the money towards an ebook priced at $12.99? These are not huge amounts of money. I've enjoyed some books so much that I would happily pay more than what I did. Others, like a lot of the free indy stuff, were so bad I'm glad I didn't pay anything!
Contributor
crabsomatic
0 Kudos

To me $9.99 seems like a fair price.  CDs used to be $14.99 and $15.99 - now over the last several years (since right after the Napster era) - they came down to around $10.00. Which seems to me to be a fair price.  Yes, $9.99 is just a number Amazon pulled out of the sky but it's a good number, all 3 entities (B&N, the publisher & the author) can make great revenue on that model based on volume. And yes, I just bought Stephen Hawking's new book and gladly paid $13.61 for it because his facts need to be supported.