Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
sarahg908
0 Kudos

Question for parents - from an author

Parents - my first children's book, "Michael's New Neighbor" was just published by Guardian Angel Publishing, and is available for purchase online.  My question to you is - when purchasing books for your children, how do you typically find these books?  (Do you go into the store knowing what you are looking for, or do you typically browse the bookstore and just discover a book?)  I'd like to promote my book in the best way possible to reach the most people, but I'd just like some opinions on how you purchase.

Thanks!

Sarah Gasparetti

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Michaels-New-Neighbor/Sarah-Gasparetti/e/9781933090412/?itm=1

Sarah
http://www.guardianangelpublishing.com/michaels-new-neighbor.htm
MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

Re: Question for parents - from an author

[ Edited ]

Hi Sarah.  I am a grandmother of 17 and have purchased many children's books in my lifetime.  I usually buy books that have been recommended in a magazine or maybe when I see the author on television.  I like to read a review before I buy as the content of many books would not agree with my value system.  You must be very proud of your achievement...good luck!  Mary     (Just your thread encourages me to check out your book online... and I may just buy it for my "live-in" grandson who is five.)

Message Edited by MLS on 08-13-2008 09:52 PM
Contributor
sarahg908
0 Kudos

Mary - thank you for sharing your thoughts!  I'm working on getting some reviews now, professional and from customers.  (I know reviews are important to me as a reader.)  I never thought of targeting magazines for reviews/promotions though - good idea!

Thanks again!

Sarah
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

We buy a lot of classic books we've known about for years (decades, really) for the grandkids.  For current books, we rely heavily on the Horn Book Guide.  We also check the library's new childrens books (our small local bookstores don't carry very many new children's titles.)

sarahg908 wrote:

Parents - my first children's book, "Michael's New Neighbor" was just published by Guardian Angel Publishing, and is available for purchase online.  My question to you is - when purchasing books for your children, how do you typically find these books?  (Do you go into the store knowing what you are looking for, or do you typically browse the bookstore and just discover a book?)  I'd like to promote my book in the best way possible to reach the most people, but I'd just like some opinions on how you purchase.

Thanks!

Sarah Gasparetti

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Michaels-New-Neighbor/Sarah-Gasparetti/e/9781933090412/?itm=1

0 Kudos

When we select books for our library we often use professional journals. I also look at B&N new books & read the reviews listed for the books.

You may want to see if you could join up with a local public library to get the word out. When kids get excited about a book, it carries over to the parents. When my son wants a book I'll always get it for him, unlike the latest video game :-)

Good luck with your book!

Patty
Contributor
sarahg908
0 Kudos

I am speaking with the libraries in my former elementary schools, and other local school's libraries - maybe do an author visit with the younger grades.  It definitely seems like reviews are the way to go...from various outlets.  I have to look into all these things!

Thank you all for your advice so far - keep it coming!

Sarah
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

I usually browse in the book stores, with the child, and see what appeals to him/her.  After the age of 6 or so the child generally chooses.  
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

My daughter is only 6 months old but I've been reading to her since s born because I want to teach her to love to read. She already loves story time. When I'm selecting books for her, I look for bright illustrations and rhyming words if possible. Although she can't understand a story line yet, she loves pictures, rhythmic sounds, and the time we spend together while reading. Right now, Dr. Seuss keeps her entertained.