Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
bookk
0 Kudos

RFI - audio books for elderly parent

Hello everyone, I have an elderly (80+) mother who cannot read or watch TV any longer. But she has developed an interest in listening to audio books. Her most recent interest has been the "The Cat Who..." series and is quickly going through them all. I suspect she likes them, in part, because they are not very demanding - just simple pleasant stories. She also likes heavier fiction such as "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" but, not having read this book, I'm not sure why she liked it. She just said there was something captivating about how it was written and read. The book that started her listening was "The Great Train Robbery". And she also liked the Miss Marple mysteries. I was surprised that she also like Sherlock Holmes - it sounded more like a play to her with different characters interacting rather than a story presented from one persons perspective. She no longer likes heavy romances or gory crime stories. I was hoping someone could suggest some other stories similar to the Cat Who and Miss Marple series. Or even more substantial fiction as long as it is pleasant and not very complicated. Thank you.
New User
effluvium
0 Kudos

Re: RFI - audio books for elderly parent

Hi book Can I ask you what kind of audio book player your mom uses? I am in the market to buy one for my mom (74) , but it must be easy to operate - and easy to start from the last place stopped. If there was a "mechanical" player (much like a cassette tape player) that would play MP3 just as easy as cassette , now that would be perfect! Greetings
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi if your Mom likes The Cat Who or Agatha Christie,it sounds like she likes mysteries and particularly cozy ones. If you can get M.C.Beaton in audio version, she might like either of her series. She writes Agatha Raisin, mid 50 ish retired publicist amateur sleuth in the Cotswolds who gets up to the craziest antics. Hamish McBeth is a very laid back police officer in the wilds of Scotland. There are some really terrific characters in that series. Comical, not complicated plots and no gory scenes or nasty language.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
New User
effluvium
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I am sure I will find many nice titles once I have bought her an   _Audio Book Player_.   You see, what I wanted to ask in the first place was what kind of hardware (MP3 player) to buy.  It must be easy to operate, etc. for an elderly (not so technically inclined) person. If you know of other threads in this forum that has covered this matter ,I am thankful if someone could direct me.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My mom and her friends (all in their 70s) really enjoy Andrew McCall Smiths Ladie's No. 1 Dectective series. One will buy the book and then pass it around to all the others. They get quite excited when they get a new one. I don't know how the audio versions are though and I've been told you should get them in the order they were written (there are some continuing story lines). You also might try the Dorothy Gillman Mrs. Pollifax series although I'm not sure if they are on audio. I would recommend them in order if possible but if not make sure she starts out with the first one.

I also suggest A Thousand Splendid Suns for something a little more serious. I've heard the audio version is also excellent. This story has been a big hit with all my friends.

I know there are some websites where you can rent audio books if you can't find them in your library but I can't remember the names of the sites. Sorry!

Message Edited by pjpick on 01-09-2009 08:00 PM
New User
michelle_herrera
0 Kudos

That is wonderful that your mom likes to listen to audio books.  I wanted to ask you, what type of device does she listen to them on?  My mom is in her late 70s and is in physical therapy which she finds quite boring and I thought if I could get her a device to listen to books on tape she might be happier.  I'm not technologically up to date, and I don't think a cd player would work because she would need to hold it, so I was wondering what your mom uses to listen to the books?  Is there anything out there that is smaller and more portable than a cd player, yet not as expensive and complicated as an iPod?

Thanks!

michelle

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

No suggestions, but just wanted to say I loved the Edward Swatelle book, it is the middle book, the author is now writing the 1st book to it and then will write a follow up book.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

michelle_herrera wrote:

That is wonderful that your mom likes to listen to audio books.  I wanted to ask you, what type of device does she listen to them on?  My mom is in her late 70s and is in physical therapy which she finds quite boring and I thought if I could get her a device to listen to books on tape she might be happier.  I'm not technologically up to date, and I don't think a cd player would work because she would need to hold it, so I was wondering what your mom uses to listen to the books?  Is there anything out there that is smaller and more portable than a cd player, yet not as expensive and complicated as an iPod?

Thanks!

michelle

You can get an mp3 player for as little as $20 at Best Buy, probably Walmart and Target as well.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

You can get an mp3 player for as little as $20 at Best Buy, probably Walmart and Target as well.

Try cowboom dot com.  It's Best Buy's daily deal site.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

A Super-Simple audiobook player

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately it's only available as a do-it-yourself project, but one thoughtful developer put together a one-button audiobook player designed for his 90 year old vision-impaired  grandmother. He put a lot of thinking into achieving simplicity, but unlike Apple, managed to pull it off with a $35 computer and some creativity, achieving a simple to use and affordable device (key criteria for those on fixed income).

The approach does require someone assisting by copying the audiobook files to an SD card for the end user. Unfortunately, DRM will probably cause problems for using a lot of audiobooks. Still, it's a very thoughtful approach that won't require learning a whole new skill set for the end user.

Unfortunately, most MP3 players tend to be display intensive, often hard to read, and use small, multi-function buttons. There's no reason someone couldn't put together a simple one-button MP3 player interface on an Android device, however. Make it a prominent item on the home screen, or better yet, code it as the home screen, and you could achieve some of the same simplicity, with the added benefit of being able to handle proprietary or DRM'ed formats.