Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

RIP, Google Reader

Google's announced it's pulling the plug on Reader on July 1, on account of Google+ has zero reason to subscribe not enough users. 

There are a number of maybe-promising alternatives;  I'm unable to test any of them, because both of the other Greader users and I constitute too much load. 

Granted, the writing has been on the wall since Google killed the social features to try and force us to use Google+ but it seems petty to kill Reader out of spite for + being such a huge tower of fail.  It's not like us Reader users made a lousy product.

It's possible to export your reader feeds as an xml file via Google Takeout (https://www.google.com/takeout.)  I'm still looking to see if other greader-targeting tools (my favorite being Newsrob) will be updated to use other rss services' APIs - certainly there are good odds that they will. 

If the most-recommended alternatives weren't buckling under load just now, I might even know already. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Re: RIP, Google Reader

According to a few friends on Twitter there's FeedDemon currently available - and it seems to be easy to use (and might port over the feeds easily enough). And a service called Feedy (of which I know nothing about) is going start as a clone of GR. I never quite got how G+ was "better" than GR - I didn't need another social hub, I just needed a place to organize the blogs I read. GR did that just fine. *sigh*
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
roustabout

Yeah, I can grab rss ledes with a ton of tools. 

Newsrob is the only one I've come across (so far) that goes the extra step and downloads the entire article if you ask it to, for offline use. 

Lots of my gear is wifi only and although I can hand off signal from my phone if needed, it swills phone battery, so I'd prefer something like newsrob. 

I'm disappointed; after Avantgo shut down its service (which was live for a fairly long time, I think 6 or more years) I did a lot of kludge things to get equivalent functionality on the Palm - but the fact that Avantgo kept the feeds alive for so long shows pretty clearly how cheap they were to keep lit.

This move by Google does a lot to make RSS less useable going forward, just because there are so many tools that depend on the Google RSS API.

I think google underestimates the extent to which heavy google reader users and devs contribute to the overall mood toward Google. Google reader is very popular with journalists and early adopters.  Making those folks much more lukewarm  at best just isn't a great idea - it forces them to look for other things to recommend and begin using and that alone pushes your product suite out of their heads.

Compound that by doing something which looks bloody mean-spirited for a hugely successful company with a gynormous pile of cash, and the own goal is quite possibly something you've underestimated. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

The FeedDemon guy wrote he's going to shut down.

I'm with roustabout on this. Google scored a huge own goal.

This: Google's announced it's pulling the plug on Reader on July 1, on account of Google+ has zero reason to subscribe

Google trying to do social networking type sites makes no sense. Why would they want to leave a business that makes them a ton of money (I mean profits) (search, algorithms) for businesses that make next to no money (Twitter, Facebook, social).

It's like someone poisoned their mind.

Are you sure you want tens of billions of dollars a year in profits with search? Don't you want this shiny happy people business that makes no money at all?

All the stuff that they think is 'we're focusing' 'we're focusing' stuff is actually damaging all the good feelings/reputation they were creating.

They cut off the Weather API and upset a lot of people. But those were just developers (not where Google makes its money). Now with RSS DeathAttack they are hurting some of their staunchest supporters.

What happened to Do No Evil. Running a stake through the heart of Reader, and thus, in a way, RSS itself, is at best stupid and at worst evil.

Melissa_W

FeedDemon is shuttering, too?  Ugh, rats.  First Feedburner, then GR, then FeedDemon....  With so many blogs and tumblrs and etc etc etc how does anyone expect to get read without some sort of feed collector/organizer?  In the time before GR I wasted so much time going to through my (very, very long) blogroll and list of bookmarks checking for new posts.  Almost everyone I interact with uses GR in some capacity to organize RSS feeds.  Oy.  What will Google kill off for fun next?  (I signed the Change petition - not that I really think it will influence Google to that extent but just because)

I've seen one post on Feedly being user-friendly and easy to port feeds from GR.  Guess I'll be exploring that. 

5ivedom wrote:

The FeedDemon guy wrote he's going to shut down.

I'm with roustabout on this. Google scored a huge own goal.

This: Google's announced it's pulling the plug on Reader on July 1, on account of Google+ has zero reason to subscribe

Google trying to do social networking type sites makes no sense. Why would they want to leave a business that makes them a ton of money (I mean profits) (search, algorithms) for businesses that make next to no money (Twitter, Facebook, social).

It's like someone poisoned their mind.

Are you sure you want tens of billions of dollars a year in profits with search? Don't you want this shiny happy people business that makes no money at all?

All the stuff that they think is 'we're focusing' 'we're focusing' stuff is actually damaging all the good feelings/reputation they were creating.

They cut off the Weather API and upset a lot of people. But those were just developers (not where Google makes its money). Now with RSS DeathAttack they are hurting some of their staunchest supporters.

What happened to Do No Evil. Running a stake through the heart of Reader, and thus, in a way, RSS itself, is at best stupid and at worst evil.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
roustabout

I'm looking into TinyTinyRSS, which apparently I can install on my NAS at the house, and which has an Android client.  

The key for me is support for viewing of articles offline, we'll see how that works.  The firewall rules for when I travel will get interesting, too.  

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki

for info on the tool.  

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

I have no idea what Google Reader is or why one would use it, but for those of you that do use it you should ask yourself this question - How would keeping this alive generate any revenue for Google?

It sounds like it was a tech that may have been one of those "let's throw things at the wall and see what sticks" ideas.  If they've come to the realization that there's no business reason to keep it active, then why would you expect them to continue to support it?

keriflur

doncr wrote:

I have no idea what Google Reader is or why one would use it, but for those of you that do use it you should ask yourself this question - How would keeping this alive generate any revenue for Google?

It sounds like it was a tech that may have been one of those "let's throw things at the wall and see what sticks" ideas.  If they've come to the realization that there's no business reason to keep it active, then why would you expect them to continue to support it?

If you don't know what it is, how can you speculate on what kind of idea it was?  Just sayin', if you don't know what the convo is about, it's better to ask questions rather than pass judgment.

Melissa_W

Lifehacker posted an article about GR alternatives

Lifehacker put up an article (and updated, according to ongoing into) about various alternatives to GR and how to port the RSS feeds for anyone needing to know.

http://lifehacker.com/5990456/google-reader-is-getting-shut-down-here-are-the-best-alternatives

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

doncr wrote:

If you don't know what it is, how can you speculate on what kind of idea it was?  Just sayin', if you don't know what the convo is about, it's better to ask questions rather than pass judgment.

LOL.  I *did* ask questions!  Sheesh. <rolls eyes>

I wanted to get the opinions of people that use the tech and are miffed that it's going away to help me undesrtand why Google should keep it.  All I've seen all over the Internet lately is bloggers whining about losing something that was apparently as important as their right arm and Google stating that they are dropping it because of a lack of users. 

Having been in the software development business for 25 years I've seen plenty of projects discontinued from lack of user adoption so I think I'm not too far off when I speculate that this is what happened with Google Reader, especially after what Google stated.  I'd be interested to hear why you think Google killed it.

So again, why should Google keep Google Reader? (<-- question here)

How could Google (or anyone else) have made a product like this profitable? (<-- question here)