Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MartiTalbott
0 Kudos

Re: Seattle Quake 9.2

This book is now on sale for only $.99. Price going back up to $3.99 the first of June.

Seattle Quake 9.2  

Contributor
SJWrightAuthor
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book! - Paranormal Romance - 99 cents!

It was a flash in the moonlight, a blur of motion like I’d never witnessed before. No human had the capacity to move like that. When I found myself face-to-face with him there in the meadow, I knew without a doubt that the journal was authentic. I knew that my grandfather hadn’t been crazy at all. 

Because a foot away from me stood a vampire.

Sarah Wood reads her grandfather's journal in stunned disbelief. What was once her grandfather's responsibility has passed to her father and now to her. She has become the Warden. Her life will never be the same.

The Vampire's Warden  

Author of The Vampire's Warden, available on the Nook and the soon-to-be-released The Vampire's Curse: Book Two of the Undead in Brown County series.
Contributor
Bryan_Healey
0 Kudos

Shattered Wings by Bryan Healey

I have recently published my second novel, entitled “Shattered Wings,” that chronicles a man named John, the primary breadwinner in a household consisting of his husband Charlie and their adoptive daughter Cassie. When faced with an unexpected layoff that he is financially unprepared for, John finds himself desperate for new employment before his savings dries up, reminiscing on a past of addiction, discrimination and family struggle as he slowly descends into alcoholism.

The story deals frankly with issues of economic instability and individual consequences of job loss, including loss of a sense of purpose, identity and struggle for stability. It also approaches concerns of addiction and alcoholism, and the powerful influence it can have on behavior and depression. And finally, it frames these issues around a concern for issues of the LGBT community, gay marriage and same-sex adoption.

Just today, I received a 5-star review from Bastion of Books:

I was struck by the stark cover of Healey's book--always a promising sign. I was not disappointed. Healey has written a very timely novel that literally moved me to tears--which is hard to do and to me, signifies a book that not only satisfies but lingers in my head. His style of writing is lyrical but not overdone.

One sign of his brilliant talent is that when I began reading, I envisioned the narrator to be a woman. It's only a few pages in do I realize that this is a gay couple. I went back to the beginning to re-read so that I had the right picture in my head. But truly, aside from a few places in the book, John and Charlie are "every family" and quite accessible to any reader. I find it wonderful, as a bisexual woman, to find a novel that is modern and mainstream and doesn't need to feel like it has to be different because it features a gay couple.

A bit of a tongue-in-cheek warning: there are no chapters. So if you're a voracious reader like I am, you may find yourself devouring this book far too quickly or staying up into the wee hours of the morning. It's nearly impossible to pace yourself with such a wonderful book in hand.

I heartily recommend Shattered Wings, *need* to find Healy's other work, and cannot wait for more to come. I think his literary voice will go far!

It is available on the nook for $2.99:http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Shattered-Wings/Bryan-Healey/e/2940012583260

The book also has it's own website: http://www.shatteredwingsbook.com

Thank you everyone! I'm happy to have joined this community!

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

A New Look at Vegetarianism: Its Positive Effects on Health and Disease Control

[ Edited ]

A New Look at Vegetarianism  

“A New Look at Vegetarianism” contains various aspects of plant-based, or meatless, diets. It provides not only economical, cultural, biological and evolutionary viewpoints of vegetarian diets but also modern perspectives on health promotion and disease prevention.

The material is presented succinctly, with good use of tables and pictures, and is referenced appropriately. In Chapter-1, vegetarian diets are classified as lacto-vegetarian, ovo-vegetarian, lacto-ovo-vegetarian, or vegan, respectively, if they include dairy products, eggs, both dairy products and eggs, or no animal products at all. Lacto-ovo- or lacto-vegetarians, diets can be followed without much concern about nutrition even in growing children, whereas children who are vegans may require special attention and may have slower growth even if they are in good health.

Vegetarians in general and vegans in particular should be concerned about nutrients in vegetarian diets. However, appropriately planned vegan or lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets can be nutritionally adequate. There is concern about the adequacy of vitamin B12 and D in vegans in general, but these needs can be met by food fortification. This book helps with all the concerns vegetarians have about balanced nutrition.

In Chapter-4 health-promoting phytochemicals (beyond the traditional nutrients) provide information about the food and herbal sources that can be used against cancer, heart problems, and even to live-longer. Whether phytochemicals or otherwise, the book recommends that whole foods rather than juices and supplements be consumed for the best protection against disease or even irregularity.

The discussion of vegetarian diets in relation to the U.S. Dietary Guidelines and disease-specific guidelines show overlap with vegetarian eating patterns. For heart disease, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and cancer both of these recommend eating unrefined grains, fruits, and vegetables and the reduction of the intake of saturated fat and cholesterol (present in all animal products but not in plants). “The current dietary guidelines suggest that diets rich in plant foods with small or minimal amounts of animal foods may be the remedy for diseases related to modern life-style.'' Dietary guidelines for vegetarians could be developed with the aim of promoting the consumption of a wide variety and abundance of plant foods; primarily unrefined and minimally processed plant foods; optional dairy products, eggs, or both; and a generous amount of water and other fluids.

There are historical references to “vegetarianism” as a religious practice in the East and John Harvey Kellogg in the West, a 20th-century Seventh-Day Adventist, who was trained as a physician and operated a Seventh-Day Adventist Sanitarium in Battle Creek, Michigan. He developed meat substitutes and other vegetarian health foods, including the breakfast cereals that have immortalized the family name worldwide.

The book includes appendices: Quiz on myth and reality of vegetarianism, Nutritionally balanced vegetarian menus, and Vegetarian diet recipes.

The author of over dozen books, Dr. Dhillon’s unique qualifications include advanced degree in life sciences and molecular biology from Yale University in the West, and his earlier education and experience with vegetarianism as a part of culture, yoga, breathing and spirituality from the East. He uses his knowledge to the fullest and truly presents a synthesis of Eastern and Western approaches to diet and nutrition. The overall impression the book leaves is that vegetarian diets are safe, palatable, healthy, and nutritionally sound.

Frequent Contributor
ManleyPeterson
0 Kudos

Bloated Goat - Middle Grade Children's Book

Bloated Goat  - new cover art and updated storyline adding over 2000 words.

Manley Peterson

Manley's Bookshelf
manleypeterson.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Soul and Reincarnation: What Happens to Soul at the Time of Death

Soul and Reincarnation  

The views on soul and reincarnation vary from no such thing as a ‘soul’ to only humans possess a soul, to both humans and animals possess a soul, and that soul likewise dies when the physical body dies or that soul is immortal and never dies. All religions believe in the existence of SOUL in human body, but they differ in what happens after death. This manuscript searches for the truth. It provides alternate views using science and logic to questions that were perceived to be confusing and contradictory varying from faith to faith. We hope these will be more acceptable to our next generation of science and technology. It is written for those curious minds that like to explore the mystery of soul and reincarnation.

Dr. Dhillon has used the best of Eastern traditions and Western Scientific knowledge to expose the mystery of soul and reincarnation.

“There are many religions, but only
One Morality, One Truth, and One God.
The only Heaven is one of Conscious Life
And Fellowship with God.”

Contributor
Mister_Teacher
0 Kudos

Re: Learn Me Good, only 99 cents

Hello,

From now until June 2 (our last day of school), my humor novel, Learn Me Good, is on sale for only 99 cents!

Jack Woodson was a thermal design engineer for four years until he was laid off from his job. Now, as a teacher, he faces new challenges. Conference calls have been replaced with parent conferences. Product testing has given way to standardized testing. Instead of business cards, Jack now passes out report cards. The only thing that hasn't changed noticeably is the maturity level of the people surrounding him all day.

Learn Me Good is a hilarious first-person account, inspired by real life experiences. Through a series of emails to Fred Bommerson, his buddy who still works at Heat Pumps Unlimited, Jack chronicles a year-in-the-life of a brand new teacher. With subject lines such as "Irritable Vowel Syndrome," "In math class, no one can hear you scream," and "I love the smell of Lysol in the morning," Jack writes each email with a dash of sarcasm and plenty of irreverent wit.

Thanks!

John Pearson

Reader
KFerguson
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

About my book (in one sentence)

Fergyville  - We make plans and they don't always come through, but is it bad luck or is it sabotage?  Find out for just $1.49

To read an excerpt visit my site:

http://www.katinaferguson.com/2011/05/fergyville-episode-1/

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Re: Soul and Reincarnation: A Book Review

Soul and Reincarnation: A Book Review

Here's a review by an author named Valentina Cano. There is no info if
she is a fiction or nonfiction author or where is she from. She decided
to review this book. Here's the review and her impartial
observations on: "Soul and Reincarnation."

The full review info is at amazon/B&N site but here is a part of it:

V. Cano -
What I found most surprising was the balance of ideas, the back and
forth of science and religion. The author does a commendable job of
stating both sides clearly and with as much impartiality as humanly
possible. I have to say the chapter on transmigration of DNA was my
favorite, very interesting take on the idea of reincarnation. Even if
you don't agree with it, you can see the validity of the theory. I also
enjoyed the last section, which listed the many issues that exist when
trying to prove the existence of souls and reincarnation. Again, very
balanced overview.

As with any book that deals with religion, it might not be for everyone.
Although it would be wonderful if very religious people would read it, I
doubt they'd find it half as informative as it's meant to be. I can only
hope that some of the spiritual people out there will pick it up. It's
well worth the attention.

Soul and Reincarnation  

Contributor
JJBrighton
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book! When Death Died Down by J Jay Brighton