Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
plumboz
0 Kudos

Re: More nice reviews for Boomerang

Boomerang 

"Ted Hogwood's beloved Sarah, a jazz guitar, is in the window of Topp Dollar Pawn. The only way he can get the money to rescue her is to accept an assignment from the AABC, a not nearly official branch of the United States intelligence community. He is partnered with Jerry Kwiatkowski, master of the Hammond B-3 organ and chronic flatulence sufferer, to steal a boomerang containing secrets that should have died with J. Edgar Hoover over thirty years ago. It would be a simple job if only they knew what they were doing. And if a crossbow wielding assassin, two unemployed Australian women, The Director of Central Intelligence and a clothing optional former onion festival queen were not also hot on the boomerang's trail."

What some reviewers at Amazon US and Smashwords have said about Boomerang:

"From its great characters to its twisted plot, Boomerang is lots of fun. The humor and quirky characters are reminiscent of "The Big Lebowski" while the frenetic pacing brings to mind "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.""

"This book was a really fun read and Alan's writing style reminded me at times of the late Douglas Adams. The deeper into the plot you get, the more you can tell the characters are in a situation that's way over their heads. It's quirky, funny and really hard to put down."

"At the price it was the best bargain ever but, even if it was full-price, I would still be counting myself lucky that I stumbled on it.

Pure gold. Thank you Mr Hutcheson for the hours of sheer reading enjoyment I got from your book."

"One of the best novels that I have read in recent times- suspenseful, witty and racy. I look forward to more such writings from Mr. Hutcheson."

"Loved this book! Hutcheson does a great job creating a host of wacky characters all after the same object. I really enjoyed seeing all of the different plot lines and watching them all converge. I will definitely be recommending this one!"

Thanks,
Alan 

Best,
Alan Hutcheson (aka Plumboz)

author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue, with music
Contributor
JaneGeorge
0 Kudos

Re: Mumbo Jumbo Circus by Jane George

Thanks for the interest, Walter.

Demands on my time being what they are, I mostly illustrate my own work.

Best,

Jane George

Frequent Contributor
SorrowHeart
0 Kudos

Lies the Heart Tells by Jenna Storm

Lies the Heart Tells  by Jenna Storm

Contemporary Romance - 165,000 words - .99 nook book

Hired by newspaper owner Laura Danilov to run a project aimed at reintroducing wolves into the wilds of Montana, Drew Allison has had little success signing on local ranchers to her cause. Instead, the ranch where she’s headquartered has suffered a string of malicious pranks she suspects is aimed at shutting her project down. When Mackenzie Sawyer falls out of a tree and into a job taking care of the ranch, Drew thinks her luck has changed for the better.

Things soon go from bad to worse, however, and Drew realizes nothing is as it seems – especially Mackenzie Sawyer.

When her quest for answers turns up a most unexpected one, she isn’t sure what to believe. She must then decide whether to listen to reason or to follow her heart as she attempts to discover what lies the heart tells and why.

~ Previously published by All Romance Books.

Author
mikebefeler
0 Kudos

Retirement Homes Are Murder and Living With Your Kids Is Murder by Mike Befeler

I'm the author of the Paul Jacobson Geezer-lit Mystery series, which includes Retirement Homes Are Murder

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/retirement-homes-are-murder-mike-befeler/1008243972?itm=1&fmt=200&us...

and Living With Your Kids Is Murder

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/living-with-your-kids-is-murder-mike-befeler/1015818371

I write humorous mysteries, and my protagonist, Paul Jacobson, is a crotchety gentleman in his mid 80s with short-term memory loss. Although he can't remember the day before, he becomes an amateur sleuth and even has a romance with a young chick in her 70s.

Mike Befeler

http://www.mikebefeler.com

Mike Befeler
Author of Retirement Homes Are Murder and Living With Your Kids Is Murder
Contributor
RobertLCollins
0 Kudos

Re: Stories by Robert Collins

I just put up for sale a third science fiction short story at Smashwords. It's available in all formats, including for the Nook, and it's just 99¢.

Stories (short story, 6700 words): Daniel and Tamara were supposed to be part of humanity’s effort to settle distant planets. Instead they spend their lives going forward in time, passing along news and entertaining colonists. They wonder if they’re making a difference. Then they come to a colony that’s taking a dark turn. Will their skills help or hurt their effort at change?

First published in “Hadrosaur Tales,” Volume 6, 1999.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/71622

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

A New Look at Vegetarianism: Its Positive Effects on Health and Disease Control

A New Look at Vegetarianism  

“A New Look at Vegetarianism” contains various aspects of plant-based, or meatless, diets. It provides not only economical, cultural, biological and evolutionary viewpoints of vegetarian diets but also modern perspectives on health promotion and disease prevention.

The material is presented succinctly, with good use of tables and pictures, and is referenced appropriately. In Chapter-1, vegetarian diets are classified as lacto-vegetarian, ovo-vegetarian, lacto-ovo-vegetarian, or vegan, respectively, if they include dairy products, eggs, both dairy products and eggs, or no animal products at all. Lacto-ovo- or lacto-vegetarians, diets can be followed without much concern about nutrition even in growing children, whereas children who are vegans may require special attention and may have slower growth even if they are in good health.

Vegetarians in general and vegans in particular should be concerned about nutrients in vegetarian diets. However, appropriately planned vegan or lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets can be nutritionally adequate. There is concern about the adequacy of vitamin B12 and D in vegans in general, but these needs can be met by food fortification. This book helps with all the concerns vegetarians have about balanced nutrition.

In Chapter-4 health-promoting phytochemicals (beyond the traditional nutrients) provide information about the food and herbal sources that can be used against cancer, heart problems, and even to live-longer. Whether phytochemicals or otherwise, the book recommends that whole foods rather than juices and supplements be consumed for the best protection against disease or even irregularity.

The discussion of vegetarian diets in relation to the U.S. Dietary Guidelines and disease-specific guidelines show overlap with vegetarian eating patterns. For heart disease, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and cancer both of these recommend eating unrefined grains, fruits, and vegetables and the reduction of the intake of saturated fat and cholesterol (present in all animal products but not in plants). “The current dietary guidelines suggest that diets rich in plant foods with small or minimal amounts of animal foods may be the remedy for diseases related to modern life-style.'' Dietary guidelines for vegetarians could be developed with the aim of promoting the consumption of a wide variety and abundance of plant foods; primarily unrefined and minimally processed plant foods; optional dairy products, eggs, or both; and a generous amount of water and other fluids.

There are historical references to “vegetarianism” as a religious practice in the East and John Harvey Kellogg in the West, a 20th-century Seventh-Day Adventist, who was trained as a physician and operated a Seventh-Day Adventist Sanitarium in Battle Creek, Michigan. He developed meat substitutes and other vegetarian health foods, including the breakfast cereals that have immortalized the family name worldwide.

The book includes appendices: Quiz on myth and reality of vegetarianism, Nutritionally balanced vegetarian menus, and Vegetarian diet recipes.

The author of over dozen books, Dr. Dhillon’s unique qualifications include advanced degree in life sciences and molecular biology from Yale University in the West, and his earlier education and experience with vegetarianism as a part of culture, yoga, breathing and spirituality from the East. He uses his knowledge to the fullest and truly presents a synthesis of Eastern and Western approaches to diet and nutrition. The overall impression the book leaves is that vegetarian diets are safe, palatable, healthy, and nutritionally sound.

Contributor
AliciaDean_1835
0 Kudos

Death Notice by Alicia Dean

Death Notice is a suspense with romantic elements. My progatonist writes obituaries for a Kansas City newspaper and learns that a killer is using her obituary column to forecast his kills.

Visit my website at: AliciaDean.com

Nook url: (Only $2.99!)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/death-notice-alicia-dean/1104170533?ean=2940012841773&itm=2&usri=dea...

I was recently the Free Friday read with my novel, Heart of the Witch. I was amazed at the responses generated and at the reviews, (some good, some bad), but it meant people were reading my stuff. :-) I'm very proud of this latest novel and hope readers will enjoy it. It's quite different from Heart of the Witch--no paranormal and not as much romance. If you read it and wish to post a review, or drop me an email...I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you for reading...keep it up! :-)

Alicia

Alicia Dean
Author of Suspense and Paranormal
aka Winter Frost - Lady in the Mist, a Gothic Mystery Novella
New User
Originsean
0 Kudos

Origin: The Hidden Prophecy by Sean Ross

Hi everyone!

Just released a new book for nook entitled Origin: The Hidden Prophecy for only $.99.  Here's a quick description:

When sixteen-year-old Darren awakes in the middle of nowhere, he has no memory. Quickly, he is whisked away from a war-torn Earth to an epic space metropolis called Origin. But beneath the gleaming towers and trappings of wealth festers a plot to overthrow the King and spread darkness across the Universe. All that stands between the Kingdom of Origin and disaster is Darren and a mysterious relic known as the Prophecy.

Check out the sample and see what you think!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/origin-sean-ross/1104139442?ean=2940012822031&itm=1&usri=origin%2bth...

Frequent Contributor
WalterParks
0 Kudos

Aging is a Treatable Disease

Aging Is a Treatable Disease

Aging is a Treatable Disease by Walter Parks

Health and Longevity - 15,772 words - $2.99 Nook Book, also in paperback.

New advances in medical science and the unraveling of the human genome have provided us with great insights into the aging process.

We can now significantly increase our healthy longevity and survive long enough to take advantages of the even newer technologies being developed.

The overall deterioration of the body that comes with growing old is not inevitable.  The causes of aging are finally being understood.  Aging is a treatable disease.

So if you want to increase your chances of living a long and healthy life, maybe even becoming immortal, you need to learn what you can do today.  It is not very hard.  You do not have to go to the extremes to get great benefits.

But you do need to learn and take action.

This book describes 7 programs that you can begin today to dramatically improve your health and longevity.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/aging-is-a-treatable-disease

Walter Parks
UnknownTruths Publishing Co.
http://UnknownTruths.com
Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Re: Aging is a Treatable Disease

I like your title Walter and may check into this. We have quite similar interests as you see in this title. Wish you all the best.
FOREVER YOUNG  
WalterParks wrote:

The overall deterioration of the body that comes with growing old is not inevitable.  The causes of aging are finally being understood.  Aging is a treatable disease.

So if you want to increase your chances of living a long and healthy life, maybe even becoming immortal, you need to learn what you can do today.  It is not very hard.  You do not have to go to the extremes to get great benefits.

But you do need to learn and take action.

This book describes 7 programs that you can begin today to dramatically improve your health and longevity.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/aging-is-a-treatable-disease