Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Sally_Royer_Derr
0 Kudos

OBSESSION by Sally Royer-Derr

Evil can be closer than you think.

After her husband’s  tragic accident, Joanna Dresden seeks to rebuild her life. She finds  love again in the arms of a much younger man and feels her life moving  forward again. She didn’t realize her husband’s death wasn’t an accident, but rather a calculated murder, by a man willing to do anything to be with her. A man she thought she knew well…

Excerpt:

A slow drizzle of rain pelted the freshly mowed grass of the cemetery. Wet blades of green clung to Joanna’s black pumps as she solemnly walked to the burial plot. Simon held a large black umbrella over her and Jilly as they walked in silence.

The funeral service had been well attended. Most of the town was there to extend their condolences. But Joanna had insisted on a private burial. Family and close friends only.

She sat on the hard folding chair in front of the flower-adorned closed casket. Despite the humidity, she shivered, thinking of her hand touching Jared’s for the last time. In her heart, she knew his soul, his spirit, lived on. His earthly body was only a casing for his true soul, which now looked down from Heaven at her. I know he’s in a better place. A place without hurt or death. But what about me and Jilly? How are we going to live without him?

Jilly looked unusually small today in her dark funeral dress. She gripped Joanna’s hand and sat hunched over, staring at her father’s casket. She hasn’t said a word since finding out he was killed. Will she ever find her voice again? Joanna’s head hurt with all the troubling thoughts. I can’t think about that now.

The pastor said words, but she could not understand them. The words, like the murmuring of condolences spoken to her at the funeral, jumbled together into an unrecognizable blend of sounds. I can’t do this. This can’t be happening to me.

She felt tears welling and pressed her eyes closed for a moment, hoping to shut out the scene in front of her. Opening her eyes again, she watched as Jared was slowly lowered into the ground, and tears stung her face. Don’t leave me, Jared. Her silent pleas were unheard. The only man she’d ever loved was gone.

She looks so beautiful in black. His gaze traveled over her appealing form draped by the dark material. He liked how pale her face looked today, almost ethereal, like an angel from Heaven. Her hair was pulled away from her face in a brown tortoiseshell clip, revealing the delicate bone structure of her face. He watched her sit on the sofa, picking at her full plate of food. She lifted her head, her sad blue eyes looking expectantly around the room, and then suddenly clouding over as she looked back to her plate of untouched food.

He longed to go to her, to touch her, to tell her everything would be okay. He would glide his hand over her silken hair and whisper softly in her ear, to reassure her and to make her know that he would always be there for her. Her blue eyes would gaze into his, the sadness starting to melt away, and she would see him, the real him, for the first time. And she would know in that moment they were meant to be together.

He shook his head, feeling slightly unsettled about his fantasy—the fantasy he so desperately wanted to become a reality. One day it will be my reality. One day very soon. Now that Jared was out of the picture, thanks to him, there were no more obstacles deterring him from her.

As it should be. Jared had stood in the way of his happiness for too long. From the moment he knew Joanna was destined to be his, Jared was an obstacle for him. A smile spread across his face. Not anymore.

He gripped his cup of coffee tightly and it spilled over his hand. Grabbing a napkin from a nearby table, he wiped the liquid away. He glanced back to the couch where Joanna had been sitting, but it was now unoccupied. He quickly put his cup down and went off in search of her.

Available Now in Print and Ebook ~ www.sallyroyer-derr.weebly.com

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/obsession-sally-royer-derr/1104130636?ean=9781927085097&itm=35&usri=...

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: OBSESSION by Sally Royer-Derr

Sally_Royer_Derr wrote:

Evil can be closer than you think.

After her husband’s  tragic accident, Joanna Dresden seeks to rebuild her life. She finds  love again in the arms of a much younger man and feels her life moving  forward again. She didn’t realize her husband’s death wasn’t an accident, but rather a calculated murder, by a man willing to do anything to be with her. A man she thought she knew well…

Excerpt:

A slow drizzle of rain pelted the freshly mowed grass of the cemetery. Wet blades of green clung to Joanna’s black pumps as she solemnly walked to the burial plot. Simon held a large black umbrella over her and Jilly as they walked in silence.

The funeral service had been well attended. Most of the town was there to extend their condolences. But Joanna had insisted on a private burial. Family and close friends only.

She sat on the hard folding chair in front of the flower-adorned closed casket. Despite the humidity, she shivered, thinking of her hand touching Jared’s for the last time. In her heart, she knew his soul, his spirit, lived on. His earthly body was only a casing for his true soul, which now looked down from Heaven at her. I know he’s in a better place. A place without hurt or death. But what about me and Jilly? How are we going to live without him?

Jilly looked unusually small today in her dark funeral dress. She gripped Joanna’s hand and sat hunched over, staring at her father’s casket. She hasn’t said a word since finding out he was killed. Will she ever find her voice again? Joanna’s head hurt with all the troubling thoughts. I can’t think about that now.

The pastor said words, but she could not understand them. The words, like the murmuring of condolences spoken to her at the funeral, jumbled together into an unrecognizable blend of sounds. I can’t do this. This can’t be happening to me.

She felt tears welling and pressed her eyes closed for a moment, hoping to shut out the scene in front of her. Opening her eyes again, she watched as Jared was slowly lowered into the ground, and tears stung her face. Don’t leave me, Jared. Her silent pleas were unheard. The only man she’d ever loved was gone.

She looks so beautiful in black. His gaze traveled over her appealing form draped by the dark material. He liked how pale her face looked today, almost ethereal, like an angel from Heaven. Her hair was pulled away from her face in a brown tortoiseshell clip, revealing the delicate bone structure of her face. He watched her sit on the sofa, picking at her full plate of food. She lifted her head, her sad blue eyes looking expectantly around the room, and then suddenly clouding over as she looked back to her plate of untouched food.

He longed to go to her, to touch her, to tell her everything would be okay. He would glide his hand over her silken hair and whisper softly in her ear, to reassure her and to make her know that he would always be there for her. Her blue eyes would gaze into his, the sadness starting to melt away, and she would see him, the real him, for the first time. And she would know in that moment they were meant to be together.

He shook his head, feeling slightly unsettled about his fantasy—the fantasy he so desperately wanted to become a reality. One day it will be my reality. One day very soon. Now that Jared was out of the picture, thanks to him, there were no more obstacles deterring him from her.

As it should be. Jared had stood in the way of his happiness for too long. From the moment he knew Joanna was destined to be his, Jared was an obstacle for him. A smile spread across his face. Not anymore.

He gripped his cup of coffee tightly and it spilled over his hand. Grabbing a napkin from a nearby table, he wiped the liquid away. He glanced back to the couch where Joanna had been sitting, but it was now unoccupied. He quickly put his cup down and went off in search of her.

Available Now in Print and Ebook ~ www.sallyroyer-derr.weebly.com

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/obsession-sally-royer-derr/1104130636?ean=9781927085097&itm=35&usri=...

Wow, Sally this looks good, thanks for the heads up

New User
Sally_Royer_Derr
0 Kudos

Re: OBSESSION by Sally Royer-Derr

Thank you, Debbie! :smileyhappy:

Reader
plblair
0 Kudos

Re: Shadow Path by P.L. Blair

Shadow Path is the first book in my Portals fantasy/detective series - and it's now available on Nook:

An ogre murdered with a rune-inscribed sword is just the beginning as Corpus Christi, Texas, police detective Kat Morales and her elven partner Tevis MacLeod follow a blood trail that leads to pixies, necromancy and magic of the blackest kind ... to its climax in a stronghold Between worlds where Tevis must duel spell-for-spell with a former lover who wants to see her old flame extinguished permanently.

Shadow Path has received several favorable reviews. Some excerpts:

"This story proved to be a lot of fun to read. While it certainly has fantasy elements, I loved that the author put the setting in the modern world. Not only that, but she managed to conduct her world-building in a way that felt very believable. All the necessary explanations are given, but done in a way that doesn't bog the reader down in details. Instead it came in bursts as the information was needed. That allowed the story to keep moving quickly so people can stay engaged in the tale."

- mistressofthedarkpath.wordpress.com

"The author has an artistic flair for mixing the realities of this world with the magical world of the Otherside. With each page I was left desiring to know more about Tevis, the quiet, level-headed Elf, and Kat, the gutsy, more impulsive detective. P.L. Blair excels at providing detailed background information while introducing new characters at just the right pace!

- Armchair Interviews

Shadow Path and the other three books published to date - Stormcaller, Deathtalker and Sister Hoods - are also available in print version from BN online.

I'm a native of Texas, with more than 30 years experience writing for newspapers - including court and crime coverage - and an avid fan of science fiction, fantasy and detective and mystery novels.

You can visit me and my blog at http://www.plblairportals.com

Contributor
fwells3
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book! Enchanted by Rachel Wells

Enchanted is my first book and consequently my first attempt at formatting an epub file...I found it very confusing to say the least.  I'll be honest, there probably are some errors with formatting, but I'm asking you all, or anyone at all, to look past that and give my story a try!  It's only $1.99 and I'm hoping you'll feel it's money well spent as I feel it's an entertaining read! 

Mandy is a quiet teenager who just wants to blend in with the crowd rather than stand out as anything or anybody.  Mandy's pretty successful at this until her parents decide it's time to move from Boston to the quiet seaside town of York Beach, Maine, to "be closer to Nana".  Alhtough Mandy has been vacationing in York every summer since she was a child, she has no desire to live there and is worried about fitting in and finding friends during her senior year of high school. 

Nana owns a flower shop in town and while working alongside her, Mandy makes a few friends and observes the oddities of the little town and its inhabitants.  When she finds some old correspondance hidden inside an antique trunk handed down from her Nana, the "oddities" turn into full fledged mysteries.  As she unravels the forgotten and hidden history of the town, she simultaneously unravels her own family's past and current secrets while writing her future.  With bits of romance and paranormal along the way, she is able to figure out the puzzle of the correspondance, the magic she never realized was surrounding her, and visions of the past and future.  Will she walk away from her personal history and her future or will she realize it's ok to be somebody, even if that somebody is nothing like everybody else?
Contributor
SandyHarper
0 Kudos

EBook Publishing and Marketing Guide

EBook Publishing and Marketing Guide  

There are radical changes in landscape of book publishing. If you’re a writer who have published a book or not yet, consider creating ebooks, because ebooks and the devices that read them are the fastest growing sectors in the publishing industry. Amazon has the Kindle, Barnes & Noble the Nook, Sony's got the Reader, Apple has the iPad and Google Ebooks has recently been released. People even read on their cell phones. And this is just the beginning. Ebook sales are soaring and are surpassing paper book sales. Amazon and Barnes & Noble, biggest book sellers, are making more money publishing and selling eBooks than regular printed books.

You will learn how to publish your books on various digital platforms, especially Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Apple iBooks store, and Smashwords. How to convert your document into any eBook format; and what file types to upload. You will learn how to prepare the cover and where to get the free images for covers; and how to price your book to name a few. If you want to make, market and sell ebooks and do it all for free, then this is a must read and the one source for everything it takes to succeed at this. New as well as published authors will realize how much time and frustration these formatting tips can save; and put you on the fast track to selling ebooks.

You will learn how to do effective marketing and use various social networks to promote your books. It explains how to prepare blogs; build and Maximize Social Media and Online Platform. With this guide you can turn your idea into an eBook and start collecting royalties in a matter of days not weeks and months. 

Reader
KFerguson
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

99-cent novelettes....yes they're short but they are entertaining. If you don't laugh once while reading these books, then you're not human (seriously).  The first book does an excellent job of setting up the second one.

New User
TeresaMorganAuthor
0 Kudos

Cinderella and the Sheikh by Teresa Morgan

[ Edited ]

Five star, Top Pick at The Romance Reviews

She's about to get charmed...

Libby Fay's safe little life as a waitress at a posh New York boutique hotel implodes when Sheikh Rasyn Al Jabar, black-eyed and seductive, crashes into her world and swears that he loves her.

The powerful sheikh will do anything to prevent becoming the ruler of his North African homeland, including marrying a woman who is inappropriate to be queen. When he sees the beautiful, bubbly waitress, he knows that she is the perfect wife to help him avoid the throne—all he has to do is make her fall in love with him.

All her life, Libby has longed for the same loving, equal partnership her parents had—something she couldn't possibly have with a forceful sheikh who ignores all her objections. But Rasyn seems to be able to charm her into anything, including his bed. Soon, she finds herself on a plane to Abbas, transported into a fairy tale come true.

Unfortunately for Libby, a Cinderella is the last thing this Prince Charming wants.

------------------
Handcuffed to the Sheikh (novella): Best. Abduction. Ever. 99 cents http://bit.ly/q6nOS7
Cinderella and the Sheikh: Prince Charming isn't always what he seems... http://bit.ly/r9qq3R
Contributor
Doug_DePew
0 Kudos

Recall! Return of the IRR

[ Edited ]

Recall! Return of the IRR 

Hi, everybody! I'm proud to announce the release of my new book. This one is only $.99 on Nookbooks and it's available right now. The paperback is coming soon.

There hadn't been a full-scale recall of the Individual Ready Reserves since the Korean War. In January of 1991, with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union, many people believed it would take World War III to trigger a recall of the IRR. Many people were wrong.

They came from cities and farms and towns in every corner of the country. With only a few days' notice, they quit their jobs, dropped out of college, kissed their girlfriends or wives, and got on planes to Atlanta, Georgia with nothing but the clothes on their backs. They had long hair, beards, and bad attitudes. They descended by the thousands on Fort Benning, Georgia, and they were not happy about it at all.

In this entertaining, true story, the author relates his own experiences as one of the twenty-thousand IRR recalls who were ordered back to active duty in support of Operation Desert Storm. In a story reminiscent of "The Dirty Dozen" times ten thousand, the author takes you through the entire experience from beginning to end. He carries you along for the ride and explains exactly what it was like to be a recall. With the many IRR recalls over the last ten years of warfare, this first hand account could shed some light on how the current era of recalls began. (29,000 words +/-)

Thanks,

Doug DePew

Doug DePew
Author of SAT & BAF! Memories of a Tower Rat

Contributor
mhgerber
0 Kudos

Should Night Come

[ Edited ]

Just published!  The sequel to Night Walks Softly.   Should Night Come is the second Yellow River Novel.  This is a regional mystery/suspense novel.  This is Sherry's story.  

Sherry thinks she has the perfect life, handsome husband, beautiful children, financial security, until one day she gets the call that changes everything.  Sherry learns to manage change and to live with danger until danger finally catches up with her too.   Should Night Come, a mystery/suspense novel, tells of Sherry’s struggle to save her business, her company and her sense of self.  This is the sequel to Night Walks Softly.

2.99 on Barnes and Noble nook and at Amazon.

Here is a link to my blog with the first chapter.  Please become a member of my blog and/ or leave a comment.  I would love to hear from you!

Sherry thinks she has the perfect life, handsome husband, beautiful children, financial security, until one day she gets the call that changes everything. Sherry learns to manage change and to live with danger until danger finally catches up with her. Should Night Come, a mystery/suspense novel, tells of Sherry’s struggle to save her business, her company and her sense of self. This is the sequel to Night Walks Softly.

Sherry thinks she has the perfect life, handsome husband, beautiful children, financial security, until one day she gets the call that changes everything. Sherry learns to manage change and to live with danger until danger finally catches up with her. Should Night Come, a mystery/suspense novel, tells of Sherry’s struggle to save her business, her company and her sense of self. This is the sequel to Night Walks Softly.

Here is the link to my book on Barnes and Noble:

Should Night Come