Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

[ Edited ]

FOREVER YOUNG  

Short Description

“Forever Young’ isn't just about adding years to your life or for seniors only. It's about functioning at peak capacity throughout life, feeling great, and being able to do things that make life worth living. It's about being biologically or functionally young, regardless of your chronological age. You will find not only scientific theories about aging but their safe application to stay young.

Frequent Contributor
Craig_Dressler
0 Kudos

Character Concert Teen Book

[ Edited ]

Character Concert  The nonfiction book for teens entitled Character Concert covers cutting-edge issues using cartoon-like pictures.  One youth chaplain said of the book: "I was very impressed with it."  Character Concert is available from the Barnes and Noble website, amazon.com and from the following link: http://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=1597813206

http://christianbook2.webs.com/
Contributor
AnnieRuthreadinglounge
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book! Out of the Shadow of Poverty

PrincetonUniversityLiterary Review

Congratulations to R. Jenkins Oliver, author of Out of the Shadow of Poverty: Living the American Dream through Faith, for receiving the Princeton Literary Review's Gold Standard for Literary Excellence this April. — with Author R Jenkins-Oliver

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Science, Religion & Spirituality

Science, Religion & Spirituality  
Published: Feb. 05, 2011
Words: 79263 (approximate)
Language:English

Self-help and Spiritual Books

Short description

This guide will teach you to observe your mind, to live in gratitude, and to discard expectations. The benefits of focusing on your spiritual-self include tranquility, increased production, resurgence of vitality, mental clarity and joy of living. An understanding of “Science, Religion & Spirituality” will put you on a road to love and happiness irrespective of your faith.

Contributor
HollyBushBooks
0 Kudos

Historical Romance Train Station Bride

1887 Debutante, Julia Crawford endures a lifetime of subtle ridicule as the plump, silly daughter of a premiere Boston family. Julia strikes out on her own to gain independence, traveling to the Midwest to marry an aging shopkeeper and care for his mother. Julia finds her new home rough and uncivilized after the sophistication of a big city, while closely held secrets threaten to ruin Julia’s one chance at love.

Jake Shelling was sixteen and grew up quick when his parents died from influenza on the North Dakota prairie. Left with a half-cleared farm and two young sisters, he spent little time on his own needs . .  till now. At thirty-five, he figured it was high time to have some sons and a mail order bride would suit him just fine.  No expectations of love, just a helpmate from sturdy stock, ready for farm life.

Will fate and chance play a trick on Julia and Jake?

Visit www.hollybushbooks.com to read an excerpt and sign-up to learn more about Holly Bush Books. Also try Romancing Olive, more historical romance from Holly Bush.

. . . A poignant read, ROMANCING OLIVE is an inspired, emotion-packed historical story that will touch your heart.

Dottie reviewer for Romance Junkies.

Holly Bush
www.hollybushbooks.com
@hollybushbooks
Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

[ Edited ]

Looks interesting.

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

The Power of Breathing-On Sale now

[ Edited ]

The Power of Breathing:smileyfrustrated:urprise. The printed edition is on sale now...

Short description

The most powerful book on breathing that not only explains what many people learn in expensive workshops and remote retreats but very personal routine the author follows. Several independent studies on breathing are given that confirm the practitioners of breathing techniques not only experience physical and mental comfort, but discover cures for illnesses such as asthma.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

The Day the Earth Stood Still - The Real Story by Alexander Aubert

[ Edited ]

The Day The Earth Stood Still - The Real StoryWell folks here's my first attempt!

The Day the Earth Stood Still - The Real Story

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Soul and Reincarnation: What Happens to Soul at the Time of Death

[ Edited ]

Soul and Reincarnation 

Nonfiction > Inspiration > General Self-help
Published: Feb. 07, 2011
Words: 44493 (approximate)
Language:English

Also available in Printed Edition

Short description

The views on soul and reincarnation vary from no such thing as a ‘soul’ to only humans possess a soul, to both humans and animals possess a soul, and that soul likewise dies when the physical body dies or that soul is immortal and never dies. All religions believe in the existence of SOUL in human body, but they differ in what happens after death. This manuscript searches for the truth.

New User
MarionMathis
0 Kudos

The Tear of Ra, The Second Coming of 9/11

It is really strange writing something about a book I wrote.  Since some of the underlying ideas may not be obvious I will try to give you some insight into the thinking that went into the characters and the story.

After I retired I asked what to do with so much time.  After doing a personal inventory of my experiences and background I decided to write a book.  In school I had been told that I should be a writer. My father was a plumber and as the story goes he steered me to a real man’s job.  I didn’t even think about writing as I raised a family and worked.

The book is about a major planned terrorist attack against the United States.  Using something from the back cover: 

“From the drug smugglers of Columbia to the shipyards of North Korea, and from the shores of the free world to the tomb of an Egyptian princess, the chase for freedom is on.”

As most of you know we write based on people that have crossed our lives and things we have done, and lessons learned.  I actually lived the book in my imagination. It became a living thing in my head.  But when it was done I had a lot of trouble turning loose of it. It is scary to put yourself out there. Will it be good? Will I look foolish?  Will anybody buy it?  Every time I read a chapter I found mistakes, or parts I didn’t like.  It was a miracle that I was able to turn it loose to finally be printed.  I don’t read it anymore.

Brad Rominger, the main character, is not set forth as a super hero but he is surrounded by good people.  I tried to elevate the characters around him.  The minor players are important and share much of the glory.  Individual grunts in the government carry a large share of his success, each contributing to the effort with their talent. Even divine providence plays a major role in the successful outcome.   I think that is how it is in real life.

The evil that men do is significant and often ends in their downfall. So it is in the book. It is as though the evil itself has so much sway that the men yielding it cannot help but submit to its siren call.  There is a part in the book that had it not happened the terrorist would have pulled off their endeavor. I think that is life, the way life really is. 

The love angle is again like life in that we are so busy living it that we fail to recognize what we have. How fragile and fleeting the important things are.  The past drives the characters so forcefully that they are like actors on a stage playing out scenes they have no control over with endings not intended.

The exciting part of having written “The Tear of Ra, The Second Coming of 9/11” is not knowing what the outcome will be.  I can truthfully say that selling the book is going to be harder than writing it. But then I am having fun living the experience. As to its success that will depend on whether it is a good read or not.  If you read it I hope you enjoy it.

My web site is www.MarionMathis.com. And the book can be purchased from Barnes and Noble at:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-tear-of-ra-the-second-coming-of-9-11-marion-mathis/1108109466?ea...