Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
snedelton
0 Kudos

New Spy-Thriller CROSSROADS

My new thriller with spy action, and international in character, was recently released by Asylett Press.  The novel is available in paperback and eBook formats. Please visit www.snedelton.com for details. I have two recent reviews as follows:

"Reminiscent of John Le Carre with a dash of Ian Flemming, Steven Nedelton's Crossroads plunges us deep into the complicated and not yet thawed Cold War mind-power experimentations and its dubious dark characters that once inhabited that volatile underworld. Written with an uncanny knack for plot and time-shifting, this 21st century thriller also introduces us to 20 th century CIA Agent David Tallman, the main character who possesses depth, passion and, in the grand tradition of Hemingway at his best, more than his fair share of tragedy and wickedness. An unusually multi-layered and absorbing novel, Crossroads will be and should be read by thriller and spy novel enthusiasts all over the globe."
--Vincent Zandri, author of As Catch Can and the forthcoming Moonlight Falls

“Crossroads is an international spy thriller with an intriguing plot that twists and turns thus engaging the interest of the reader till the final page. It contains an array of interesting characters ranging from the bottom of the food chain like Mme Benoit, an ex-cop turned killer for hire Hans Polf to the top Russian Special Operations boss Sergey Sokolov. In this spy game no one is spared, no one is indispensable. It’s how each character meets his/her end that makes the plot suspenseful and satisfying as a spy thriller. The plot flirts back and forth, from the United States, to Russia and to France giving it an international flair.

Steven Nedelton has a flair for details – a good example is how the fallen Volkov stalked Solkolov to have his revenge. Time and time again, Nedelton painstakingly builds up a scene before the violence erupted, giving the plot suspense and visual detail. He has a keen eye for details.

A good read for a lazy day at home.”

--Mei L, a reader

New User
EDC_Creations
0 Kudos

In the Land of Cotton by Martha A. Taylor

In the Land of Cotton by Martha A. Taylor 

SLAVERY IS MORE THAN CHAINS AND SHACKLES
SLAVERY IS A STATE OF MIND

Immerse yourself in this highly anticipated political docu-drama set in the Deep South amidst the backdrop of the Civil Rights Movement.

Martha was a young white girl living in the Deep South, inundated with the racist sentiments of the times. But Martha's natural curiosity and generous heart led her to question this racial divide. When she discovered a primitive Negro family living deep in the woods near her house, everyone's life changed forever. (Book info: ISBN-10:  ; ISBN-13: 978-1432734718)

Take the journey of a lifetime alongside Martha as she forges relationships that lead to self discovery and a clearer understanding of the world around her. In the Land of Cotton provides an outstanding snapshot of life in the South during those troubled times - a snapshot everyone should take a close look at, regardless of era or color.
  The year was 1956. 

Important Excerpt from Chapter 1
The time is 1956. The main character, Martha, is speaking as a young child about her environment and daily life. She is a young girl living a relatively sheltered life with her grandparents in Memphis, Tennessee. 

"In East Memphis , there were no colored folks. I didn’t go to school with any; I didn’t go to church with any. If I did see one it was only because they were working for a white person; pretty much like my grandmother had said. They were confined by unnatural zoning to their own sections of town. If a new subdivision went in it was most likely advertised as ‘No homes sold to coloreds.’

Every morning when I rode my bike from my grandparent’s house to school, I would pass the uniformed maids who had exited the city buses on Walnut Grove or White Station. They were walking to their various places in our neighborhood; to their places of employment. It was like they all knew each other. They would be laughing and talking when they got off the bus but, the minute I approached them, their heads would bow and their eyes would be clearly focused on the ground beneath their feet.

My grandmother’s highest compliment of a Negro was to say ‘they were clean.’ She had employed maids from time to time. It was a beloved maid in Michigan , when she and Papaw began enjoying life on a different rung of the ladder that had taught her some of the social graces she would need to survive in an elitist world.

Neither of my grandparents were bigots. I never heard either of them say anything demeaning about the Negroes. It was just the way of the South. It had begun long before the Civil War and had continued for ninety plus years past. If you moved from the North to the South it didn’t take you long to learn the ways of the South.  The Negroes had their own schools, they had their own churches and they had their own commercial businesses. They had a place. They knew their place; and that was that. They were taught as small children to respect a white person and fear their power over them. There was no need to feel sorry for them after all, they weren’t slaves anymore." -- from In the Land of Cotton 

BOOK  REVIEW

"To be part of history is a wonderful experience but, to stand perfectly still holding your breath those precious few seconds when you know history is imminent but before it is written; before it actually becomes history, that is overwhelming." ~ Silas Boyd 

In The Land of Cotton is a poignant and emotional chronicle of a young, unpretentious white girl coming to age in the color divided world of the fifties and sixties. Martha's story places the reader smack in the middle of the civil rights war; a beautiful and heart wrenching journey through history that weaves a tale of forbidden friendships, misconceptions and human nature, at both its best and worst. 

Martha's passionate desire to break through the prejudice and learn for herself the truth, submerses the readers into the tumultuous, discriminatory world of soul mates kept apart by skin color and social stigma. 

In The Land of Cotton is a prodigious must read for any generation. For those who experienced the world divided by flesh tone, Martha's take will bring them back to an all too familiar, and perhaps even uncomfortable, territory. For others, it will be a heart and eye opening rendition of history, and the long, hard fought battle of equal opportunity and universal acceptance, not just between colors, but people. 

Martha's weaving of history and personal experience give readers a start to finish, can't put down narrative, offering a singular panorama of an ever changing, ever adapting world and the people caught in the maelstrom of it all. It is a seamlessly written tale of love, moral dilemma, honor, political uprising, conviction and self evolvement. 

In light of this year's Presidential Election, In The Land of Cotton can't help but assume the form of a beacon of hope for any individual who has ever felt different and longed for more. 

Well written, beautifully depicted and stirring, In The Land of Cotton is sure to present old and new reader alike with a unique perspective in to a part of history that shaped and molded past generations and formed the future as well as to serve as a reminder that true love is, and always has been, colorblind. --  5/5 stars. Reviewed by Claudia Robinson, Amazon review

Purchase In the Land of Cotton here at B&N.

In The Land Of Cotton 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: New Spy-Thriller CROSSROADS

Crossroads  by Steven Nedelton

Good luck with your new novel,  Steve.

(I used the "Add Product" feature to do this.)

snedelton wrote:

My new thriller with spy action, and international in character, was recently released by Asylett Press.  The novel is available in paperback and eBook formats. Please visit www.snedelton.com for details. I have two recent reviews as follows:

"Reminiscent of John Le Carre with a dash of Ian Flemming, Steven Nedelton's Crossroads plunges us deep into the complicated and not yet thawed Cold War mind-power experimentations and its dubious dark characters that once inhabited that volatile underworld. Written with an uncanny knack for plot and time-shifting, this 21st century thriller also introduces us to 20 th century CIA Agent David Tallman, the main character who possesses depth, passion and, in the grand tradition of Hemingway at his best, more than his fair share of tragedy and wickedness. An unusually multi-layered and absorbing novel, Crossroads will be and should be read by thriller and spy novel enthusiasts all over the globe."
--Vincent Zandri, author of As Catch Can and the forthcoming Moonlight Falls

“Crossroads is an international spy thriller with an intriguing plot that twists and turns thus engaging the interest of the reader till the final page. It contains an array of interesting characters ranging from the bottom of the food chain like Mme Benoit, an ex-cop turned killer for hire Hans Polf to the top Russian Special Operations boss Sergey Sokolov. In this spy game no one is spared, no one is indispensable. It’s how each character meets his/her end that makes the plot suspenseful and satisfying as a spy thriller. The plot flirts back and forth, from the United States, to Russia and to France giving it an international flair.

Steven Nedelton has a flair for details – a good example is how the fallen Volkov stalked Solkolov to have his revenge. Time and time again, Nedelton painstakingly builds up a scene before the violence erupted, giving the plot suspense and visual detail. He has a keen eye for details.

A good read for a lazy day at home.”

--Mei L, a reader

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
lanspeaks
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself in The Family Room Here!

Hi!  Check out Call of the Tree and The Sacrificial Wood ( Books 1 and 2) of the faithwalker series by Darryl Markowitz and you'll probably get hooked. See reader reviews and excerpts at www.thefaithwalkerseries.com if you want to know more. Teens are writing at The Faithwalker Series website that the books are deep. make them think and positively affecting their lives. The books are available at b&n.com and please post if you agree. thanks!  happy reading!

New User
striver1
0 Kudos

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!

Tragic Love is a suspenseful and electrifying story about a forbidden relationship between a young man and woman.  The relationship is tumultuous from the beginning and eventually leads to a tragic ending.  The police and investigators are quick to rule the death a suicide; overlooking many details.  A mother and daughter team up to do their own investigation and discover the truth behind the death of the young man.

This story will keep you on the edge of your chair; it will make you laugh and cry!

Tragic Love is a work of fiction.  It was written through a collaborative effort by a mother and daughter. 

We look forward to the release of our first piece of work Tragic Love and hope the readers will enjoy it.  We will keep you informed as to where the book can be purchased; as well as future books from us. 

Thank you,

Tammy Rockett-Box and Mary J. Rockett

New User
striver1
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

Hi Debbie,

congratulations on your first book, It's very exciting.  I am also in the process of having my first book published through Publish America, it is called Tragic Love.  I received the cover design proof today and am eagerly waiting for the printed book to be complete.

I wish you much success and again congratulations!

Tammy Rockett-Box

New User
CollinsSilo
0 Kudos

Brand new and original sci fi experience

You .need to check this out:

Its the year 2922, humankind has been forced of her planet by a devastating meteor strike.

But in anticipation of it, a colony was set up on neighboring planet Mars. Even at two thousand years and counting, the deadly fumes have not cleared from Earth's atmosphere, but the Martian colony thrives nevertheless.

And while in the search of a more habitable planet than Mars, a deadly Martian virus emerges and threatens to drive humankind into extinction.

Desperate for survival, humanity heightens its search by assigning a task force of the Spacing Union into more aggressive ransacking of the galaxy.

Hope becomes reality when planet K-C56 is discovered by a Captain of the United Martian Navy. Humankind must make immediate migration to this newly found habitable heaven.

But unknown to her a mysterious alien race resides on K-c56. An eventual realization. Pushed to the edge of extinction and desperate for survival, humanity has no choice but to make claim of K-C56.

What happens next?

Is the inhabiting alien race hostile?

Is it more technologically advanced?

Will it choose to share its planet with humankind?

Or will it stand its ground and defend against this unknown race called the human race?

Get a preview to the Prologue and First Chapter@:

http://collinsokonkwo.blogspot.com/

New User
CollinsSilo
0 Kudos

Re: Brand new and original sci fi experience

you can get a copy here on Barns.

New User
gregpas
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book! It Only Takes A Second By Gregory W. Cunningham ISBN 1-4241-7836-3

Writing a book was a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I did it! I just didn't give up even though I wanted to many times, since I am disabled it would have be very easy to give up and no one would have thought twice about it,  (besides me!) People that have read it say that it is very good.  I myself think it is wonderful! :0)  Please give it a read and let me know what you think, . . . if you like it!

It Only Takes A Second

Jill Markum learns that her eight-year-old son has been rushed to the emergency room from his grade school. Not knowing if her son will live or die, Jill starts down a road that no parent in the world should have to travel yet many must With Jill, the reader will question, What happened? Will her little boy live, or will he die? And how much sorrow can a mother take before her heart is crushed under the strain of the trials and tribulations associated with a parents undying love for her child? It Only Takes a Second contains all of the elements of lifes journey gut-wrenching tears and sorrow, injury, death, fear, happiness, love and laughter.
New User
gregpas
0 Kudos

Re: Please Read My Book! It only takes a second by Gregory W. Cunningham

I have gotten very good feed back on this book I wrote.  this is my first book and I am very proud of it.     Thank you for your time and consideration.

Greg

It Only Takes A Second

Jill Markum learns that her eight-year-old son has been rushed to the emergency room from his grade school. Not knowing if her son will live or die, Jill starts down a road that no parent in the world should have to travelyet many must With Jill, the reader will question, What happened? Will her little boy live, or will he die? And how much sorrow can a mother take before her heart is crushed under the strain of the trials and tribulations associated with a parents undying love for her child? It Only Takes a Second contains all of the elements of lifes journeygut-wrenching tears and sorrow, injury, death, fear, happiness, love and laughter.
Gregory W. Cunningham