Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Brand new and original sci fi experience

Invader  by U. Collins Okonkwo

Collins -- use "Add Product" to make an entry like this one.

Good luck with your new book.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
PamelaKKinneyPK
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself in The Family Room Here!

I'm a published author/writer, with two nonfiction ghost books I can say kids in third grade on up to teens to adults can read. I might have some fiction stories kids or at least teens can read as much as adults.
As a mother, I, along with my husband,  had my son when he was a kid get books from us every Christmas and his birthday. We wanted to install in him a love of reading as we had.
Pamela K. Kinney
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney
http://PamelaKKinney.blogspot.com

Be prepared to take a journey into Pamela K. Kinney's fantastic dreams of horror, science fiction and fantasy, plus the ghosts and legends of two nonfiction ghost book,  Haunted Richmond, Virginia and Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales.

Watch Haunted Richmond Virginia book video on http://www.blazingtrailers.com/show.php?title=268

Pamela K. Kinney is an author of published horror, science fiction, fantasy, horror, poetry, and the nonfiction book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia, published by Schiffer Publishing, along with Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales coming fall 2009 from Schiffer Publishing, too. Using the pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan, she has published erotic and sweet paranormal/fantasy/science fiction romance, along with poetry and couple of erotic horror stories, one, a Lovecraftian novella, Unwitting Sacrifice, published by Under the Moon, now available. She also has done acting on stage and in films, plus is a costumer. Find out more about her at: http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com or at either of her MySpaces: http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney and http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan.
New User
CollinsSilo
0 Kudos

thanks pepermill, a great lot. 

Now for anyone interested in seeing the Prologue and first chapter of the book,,,,first, the teaser:

Its the year 2922, humankind has been forced of her planet by a devastating meteor strike.

But in anticipation of it, a colony was set up on neighboring planet Mars. Even at two thousand years and counting, the deadly fumes have not cleared from Earth's atmosphere, but the Martian colony thrives nevertheless.

And while in the search of a more habitable planet than Mars, a deadly Martian virus emerges and threatens to drive humankind into extinction.

Desperate for survival, humanity heightens its search by assigning a task force of the Spacing Union into more aggressive ransacking of the galaxy.

Hope becomes reality when planet K-C56 is discovered by a Captain of the United Martian Navy. Humankind must make immediate migration to this newly found habitable heaven.

But unknown to her a mysterious alien race resides on K-c56. An eventual realization. Pushed to the edge of extinction and desperate for survival, humanity has no choice but to make claim of K-C56.

What happens next?

Is the inhabiting alien race hostile?

Is it more technologically advanced?

Will it choose to share its planet with humankind?

Or will it stand its ground and defend against this unknown race called the human race?

Get a preview to the Prologue and First Chapter

http://collinsokonkwo.blogspot.com/

New User
CollinsSilo
0 Kudos

thanks pepermill, a great lot. 

Now for anyone interested in seeing the Prologue and first chapter of the book,,,,first, the teaser:

Its the year 2922, humankind has been forced of her planet by a devastating meteor strike.

But in anticipation of it, a colony was set up on neighboring planet Mars. Even at two thousand years and counting, the deadly fumes have not cleared from Earth's atmosphere, but the Martian colony thrives nevertheless.

And while in the search of a more habitable planet than Mars, a deadly Martian virus emerges and threatens to drive humankind into extinction.

Desperate for survival, humanity heightens its search by assigning a task force of the Spacing Union into more aggressive ransacking of the galaxy.

Hope becomes reality when planet K-C56 is discovered by a Captain of the United Martian Navy. Humankind must make immediate migration to this newly found habitable heaven.

But unknown to her a mysterious alien race resides on K-c56. An eventual realization. Pushed to the edge of extinction and desperate for survival, humanity has no choice but to make claim of K-C56.

What happens next?

Is the inhabiting alien race hostile?

Is it more technologically advanced?

Will it choose to share its planet with humankind?

Or will it stand its ground and defend against this unknown race called the human race?

Get a preview to the Prologue and First Chapter

http://collinsokonkwo.blogspot.com/

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Invader/U-Collins-Okonkwo/e/9781934360743

Contributor
shawnrohrbach
0 Kudos

Re: Feast Days of the Saints

Due to the poor economy, there was a dlay in the relase of "Feast Days of the Saints", but it is available as of November 1, 2009 on Amazon, also at www.cacoethespublishing.com

Shawn Rohrbach MFA
www.shawnrohrbach.com
Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

Updating Profile

Hi all.

Just wanted to update my last posting.

We are now not only reviewing indie books, but we are looking for the next big authors to showcase in an indie online bookstore we are opening in Dec.

Email me at info@thebookjournal.com if you have any questions.

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
New User
GregK
0 Kudos

Little Red Hoodie - New children's book introduces the importance of internet safety to children

I would like to introduce you to a recently published children's picture book written by my wife, Adrianna, and illustrated by my mother, Patricia. The book is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood called Little Red Hoodie. In this modernized version of the classic tale, the Big Bad Wolf plays the role of an internet predator, posing as Granny online in an attempt to lure Little Red into his trap. The goal of the book is to use a child-friendly and humorous format to approach an important and difficult subject that faces today's families.

This book was recently made available for purchase on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com. The following link will allow you to learn more about the author and illustrator: www.pagesofwonder.com/kruse

The following link is to the product page:

Barnes and Noble Link

Also, I am very new to marketing on Barnes and Noble and Amazon.  If anyone has any tips or suggestions on ways to promote awareness of this book and its message I would love to hear them.

New User
GregK
0 Kudos

Little Red Hoodie - New children's book introduces the importance of internet safety to children

I would like to introduce you to a recently published children's picture book written by my wife, Adrianna, and illustrated by my mother, Patricia. The book is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood called Little Red Hoodie. In this modernized version of the classic tale, the Big Bad Wolf plays the role of an internet predator, posing as Granny online in an attempt to lure Little Red into his trap. The goal of the book is to use a child-friendly and humorous format to approach an important and difficult subject that faces today's families.

This book was recently made available for purchase on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com. The following link will allow you to learn more about the author and illustrator: www.pagesofwonder.com/kruse

The following link is to the product page:

Barnes and Noble Link

Also, I am very new to marketing on Barnes and Noble and Amazon.  If anyone has any tips or suggestions on ways to promote awareness of this book and its message I would love to hear them.

New User
Kishinaru
0 Kudos

No title yet but its by Tyron Osuide. Is it good so far?

Chapter 1

The Beginning

Now I know the next words that are going to come out of your mouth are “man this guy is a complete dumass.” Come on, I know this all is going to seem 100% illogical but believe whatever you want to believe. By the way my name is Krispin Resphar. If you want to keep reading then your in for a really bumpy, unbelievable, insane, ride. Its all up to you. Now if you want to keep reading I will get on with the story.

Alright so it all started when I was in my most boring class of all obviously, Poetry. Every time I walk in the classroom door I always think to myself why did I sign up for this class. And I always come up with the 1 and only answer. Ballet was the only class left because I enrolled late. While Mrs. Rhodes was blabbering about Shakespeare I saw a white star just suddenly appeared on the chalk board. I thought to myself what the freak is that? It sparkled and grew and grew and grew until the whole room was white and my classmates and Mrs. Rhodes disappeared.

What the hell is going on! I’m only twelve I can’t be having hallucinations. Then the bell rang and everything went back to normal. Mrs. Rhodes and everyone was back. I kept this to myself well because, No.1 everyone would think I was a freak. No.2 Everyone would think I was on drugs. And lastly No.3 Id probably be put in a “Special” class. As I walked out of my class I did my normal routine. !.Ask my friend Jesse what was for next period since I lost my schedule.. I would get another one but if I went to the front office to get another one they would always start nagging about how damn irresponsible I was about being organized.

I was waiting for Jesse to open his locker and tell me. He opened it and said, “Crap”. What? We got math class! Damn. That’s when it hit me. Oh god I didn’t do my damn homework! C’mon man Jesse let me copy your homework. Sorry man the bell is about to ring in about 2 minutes and I got to get to math class. We both went to math class. While everyone was waiting for the bell to ring me and my buddy David were thinking of good excuses as to why our homework was missing. That’s one thing I liked about Diego he always excuses for his homework. So any good excuses, Diego. Just tell Mr.Golbez that you were to depressed over the car accident your mother was in. But she wasn’t in a car accident. Exactly. But……..oh. I get it. Hey Krispin, you know what the best part is? What? I got backup proof. Oh yeah! Ding! Ding! Ding! The bell rang. Ok class, said Mr.Golbez. Put all your homework in the homework box and if you don’t have your homework come to the front to tell the class your excuse after all the homework has been put in the homework box. Ok, class three students do not have there homework, Krispin, Eric, and Anthony. First up is…… Anthony.

Anthony tell the class why you don’t have your homework. Umm…. Mr.Golbez I have no excuse. That’s a 0 for mister Anthony’s homework grade. Next……. Eric. Eric tell us your excuse. Uhhhhh. My dog ate it. How absurd Eric you will receive a 0 as well. Awww man. And last but not least Krispin. Diego raised his hand. Yes, answered Mr.Golbez. Can I use the restroom? asked Diego. Sure, responded Mr.Golbez. Diego took a hall pass and left the classroom. Now class lets continue on with Krispin’s excuse. Yeah uh Mr.Golbez can I talk to you In private about my excuse. Sure. The rest of the class, read section 1-5 while I talk to Krispin. So we both walked out of the classroom and he asked me, “what is so private that you wanted to talk to me about.” Well, you see my mother was in an accident and.… he interrupted and said, “If that’s true what’s your Mother’s phone number. I answered, “ 554-972-3045.” He called it and I listened to the conversation. Hello how may I help you, Diego said in a woman’s voice. Yes I’m Mr.Golbez Krispins’s teacher is this his mother. I’m sorry sir his mother is hospitalized and cannot be reached.

Well, ok mam I just wanted to confirm the situation. Thank you and goodbye, said Diego in a woman’s voice. After the conversation on the phone with Diego Mr.Golbez said he was sorry for doubting me and asked if I would prefer sitting outside of the classroom for a while. I said yes and he let me stay out of the classroom. Now here’s where it happened again. The wall had a star on it and it turned into a huge white room. Now this time there was a person glowing white. I said, Oh God why is this happening to me again. Maybe I’m going crazy, or maybe I’m going mad. Maybe it’s because of that time I took an Advil liquid gel when I was 4 years old. God please don’t punish me. It looked like candy and I liked candy. Please please don’t punish me over that. I didn’t know any better. Oh stop panicking this happens to everyone like you. It spoke the white human-like figurine spoke. Sweet grandma‘s coffee! Now I’m hallucinating again. Why does this happen to me!?!?!?!? The suddenly the glowing white person slapped me, put his hands on my shoulder and shook me and said calm down man. Calm down? I laughed. Calm down? How can I calm down when I can see things like you? It spoke again, I am….. Well, to put it in simple words I am what you might call truth, or supreme, or even divine. I spoke to my self again, “Ok Krispin this is just a dream. On 3 you need to wake up. 1.… 2.… 3! What it didn’t work?”

It wouldn’t stop talking, Hey Krispin tomorrow is your last day of school and after school I’m going to meet you at home. Nooooo way man I’m never seeing or listening to you again. What will it take you to listen? Then suddenly I got a really great idea that only was made for benefiting me. All right you thing I’ll only listen to you if….. If what? Well, lets just say that you need money. A few moments later it teleported me and to a mall in its world. I almost threw up from being teleported. We were buying pop tarts and honey buns for me. He was disguised as a guy with a hat, kinda hard to explain but he looked like the wrestler MIZ with a shirt on. I sat down on a bench and started eating my honey bun.

Mmmmmmmmmm, this is so good. Now Krispin will you listen next time we meet? You got a deal. Alright, now I’ll teleport you back to your class. Hey, hey no no dude the last time we teleported I almost threw up. I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be a great relationship, it said. Then just like that I was back outside of my classroom. My stomach grumbled, just like last time I almost threw up.

That was my 6th period. Next, and last period was computer science class. We really didn’t need any materials for this class because we always used the computer. So I didn’t have to stop by my locker to get anything. When I entered it was the same everyone sat down at there computer waiting for the bell to ring and the class to start. Once the bell rang Mrs.Garland. The first thing she told us to do was open up Microsoft PowerPoint on our screen and wait till everyone did the same.

Once everyone did the same, it happened again, but different. My whole screen went black, and in green letters it said, remember the deal you made with me Krispin Resphar. I quickly tapped Diego on the shoulder who was sitting next to me. “Do you see what’s on my screen, its like the movie matrix, someone sent me a message in green letters while the screen is black. What are you talking about Krispin I only see PowerPoint on your screen.” That’s weird I was the only one who could see the message on my screen.

New User
Daulton15
0 Kudos

Breaking the Code of Silence in California Prison New Book "The Green Wall"

In my new book just released called, "The Green Wall." For sixteen years, I worked  as a guard in California's highest security prisons. Serving meals to serial killers, gang members in lockdown cells and patrolling exercise yards filled with the world's most violent felons. I belonged to an elite Investigative Services Unit, responsible for solving horrific crimes that took place inside the prison walls. While employed with the orginal supermax prison----a nickname for maximum prisons, Salinas Valley State Prison , I was decorated veteran with senior stripes when I blew the whistle on a secret gang of corrupt, sadistic guards who called themselves, "The Green Wall."

My current website is:  www.greenwall2001.com

Also it is also being sold on www.barnesnoble.com.  

Any help in marketing this compelling story is very much appreciated.