Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
iheartmacs
0 Kudos

Return to the 70's with me

About the author:

I went into a deep depression after my mother died. I was lost and felt there was no way back. I began writing First Trip, my first book, and it became an obsession. I was totally engulfed in the whole process of bringing my character to life and researching facts for the book and incidents that happened within the book's time frame. Writing this book helped me back out of my depression. Now I would greatly appreciate having people read it and would love to get feedback, either good or bad, on my labor of love.

About the book:

Go on an adventure with Dawn, a 14-year-old runaway, as she hitch-hikes her way up and down the west coast in the 1970's. Dawn meets cannibals, bikers, drug dealers, warlocks and more. This book will keep you turning the pages to find out what will happen next. A simple tale of a young girl trying to survive growing up in California.

First Trip 

Frequent Contributor
j.cafesin
0 Kudos

Re: REVERB coming out June 30th

I think I've made my position clear on how and why I feel the way I do about mega-publishers. I do welcome every opinion and point of view, and invite open discussion about it, hopefully without a lot of name-calling. This thread seems to have already sparked discussion. I'll look for posts and look forward to hearing opinions. I can say that those who support mine will now be hard-pressed to be open to sharing them, possibly put off by the slings and arrows of my replies.

And I'll be happy to post links with a detailed explanation of the content in the link per your request. In every subject line of past posting here I've always put the title which is the crux of that blog. I figured the people who were curious would click on it, and those with no interest wouldn't. I DO and will in the future invite people to comment on the B&N thread. I have hundreds of comments on my blogs that were not written on the blog itself but posted to the original site of the link, as I've already mentioned. 

www.jcafesin.com
Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

Re: REVERB coming out June 30th

wow that was intense...

j.cafesin - i realize your frustration with the big retailers offering mostly big publisher names.  HOWEVER, to be fair to them, they really are starting to put out more indie works and paying attentio to the next generation of authors out there.

I own an online bookstore that ONLY lists indie and very small published books, www.indiependentbooks.com, and whileI wish I were the only place to find these books, the reality is that BN has certainly started stepping up and carrying more new talent. 

You have to be fair and give them a chance.  BN is a huge company and they can't just start carrying thousands of indie books overnight. 

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Independent Book Sellers/Specialized Books

[ Edited ]

Josie -- It was a delight to learn about your innovative online business.  I just spent a little time perusing your site.  Although I didn't find something I wanted to order, I did find several of the book descriptions well done and inviting.  I hope the choices you are able to offer profitably will be able to continue to expand.  Good luck!

I also skipped over to your blog and did find a book that I shall be watching for (I did not see it among the offerings of your on-line store, so hope you won't be offended by this B&N link):

One Hundred Great French Books  by Lance Donaldson-Evans

Review in The Book Journal

JosieKramer wrote:

wow that was intense...

j.cafesin - i realize your frustration with the big retailers offering mostly big publisher names.  HOWEVER, to be fair to them, they really are starting to put out more indie works and paying attentio to the next generation of authors out there.

I own an online bookstore that ONLY lists indie and very small published books, www.indiependentbooks.com, and whileI wish I were the only place to find these books, the reality is that BN has certainly started stepping up and carrying more new talent. 

You have to be fair and give them a chance.  BN is a huge company and they can't just start carrying thousands of indie books overnight. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

Re: Independent Book Sellers/Specialized Books

[ Edited ]

nope, not offended. 

Thank you for visiting both the sites :smileyhappy:

We are always looking for new authors, so our shelves have been increasing weekly.

Hope you will visit again!

Melissa (josie is nickname)

Owner

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
New User
The_Constant_OutsiderTC
0 Kudos

Book Club Challenge! "The Constant Outsider, Memoirs of a South Boston Mechanic" by Tom C,

Adventurous Book Club Wanted!

While my book “The Constant Outsider, Memoirs of a South Boston Mechanic.” examines the years I spent living and working in South Boston and Dorchester, Massachusetts, during their most tumultuous and dangerous decades in recent history, it does much more that that.

It’s a revealing example of how environment, the influence of a few individuals, and the decisions a person makes, actually form who we end up being, and drastically effect the outcome of our life.

Now to the point:

I am searching for a book club whose members are adventurous, and willing to go through a process similar to what I went through while writing my book. As I state in that memoir, I truly believe “Each person is a book waiting to be written, and that book, if written, results in a person explained.”

I’m not suggesting that each club member will write an entire book, but at several points within “The Constant Outsider,” I included a few blank pages that are reserved for “Reader’s Notes.”  Those pages are there to be used by each reader to examine and document his or her own past. I ask that readers look back at the things that heavily impacted their lives.

Everyone has had a person, or people in their past that has had great influence over the outcomes of their life. I ask readers to write about those people, both good and bad, and to look back at the choices and decisions that changed the direction of their lives.

I found the results of doing so to be very enlightening. I gained an understanding of why and how I became the person that I am. This is a worthwhile endeavor, and something I want to share with others.

Whether or not the participants decide to share their results with anyone will be totally up to them. I chose to share my story with the world.

If you know of a book club that might find this experiment interesting, please have them email me at ConstantOutsider@aol.com. I will see that any clubs wishing to give this a try will get a discount on their books. Also, I would love to sit in on the “Results Meeting” as club members who wish to, share their thoughts, insights, and experiences. I could either do that in person, or over the internet on Skype video.

So, please spread the word to anyone belonging to a book club of adults. (Mine is not a kid’s book.)

To read excerpts and see if “The Constant Outsider, Memoirs of a South Boston Mechanic,” is a good fit for your club, use the “Search Inside” feature at the book’s www.Amazon.com  page, or click on “Read Excerpt” at my site, www.TheConstantOutsider.com. You may also preview segments at www.Books.Google.com  Barnes & Noble:The Constant Outsider

Just search the title “The Constant Outsider” on those sites. Thanks, Tom Cirignano.   

Frequent Contributor
Jess25
0 Kudos

Re: Coming soon - Hot New Gothic Suspense - www.houseonblacklake.com

Is this book fantasy

Frequent Contributor
yellowstone
0 Kudos

Chrysalis - Tribulations by M.L.Lacy

Chrysalis - Tribulations As the exciting Chrysalis saga continues, Bree’s eyes are opening to unimagined possibilities. Reunited with her soul mate, Steven, and her protectors Bradley, Bill and Rick, she journey’s through a world she is only now beginning to comprehend.

Challenges abound as she contends with the jealousies of her new status from Madelyn and the two newest members of her clan. As tensions escalate, the dynamics within her new family are enough to rock her world. And if that wasn’t enough to contend with, Esmeralda, her arch nemesis who desires nothing more than to wipe Bree from the face of the earth, holds nothing back as she strikes out at Bree’s family and friends.

As the prophecy told at her birth continues to unfold, Bree and those around her are only beginning to truly understand the danger’s she will face and the strength required to endure. But her transformation as a Magical has only just begun and her abilities grow much too rapidly, draining her to the point of complete exhaustion. Her clan fears that too much has been demanded of her and they continue to tighten their circle of protection around her, preventing her from following her true path. Bree must find a way to convince them that she is capable of prevailing while she searches for a way to save both human and Magical worlds - before it’s too late.

Chrysalis - Tribulations

New User
KIARREA-DOUGLAS_LADYKI_
0 Kudos

Re: New book coming out

Hi, my name is Kiarrea Douglas the author of "There Is Life After This." A lot of times we go through so much in life and we need to know that we're not alone, although it seems that way. No one to tell us that it's going to be alright and that there is life after this meaning your pain and storms. I was in a season where I felt like I'd been forsaken and everyone turned their backs(but God hadn't). In a matter of 1-2 years time, I lost 5 family members including a miscarriage. Growing up as a child dealing with domestic violence, rejection, bulimia,

and fear. Not to mention, the spiritual attacks in my life that I could not at the time understand. Being tormented by the spirits that made their presence known through dreams and through my daily life. They made it known that their goal was to take me out. Today I stand as a survivor and I come to let others know that they can make it too, by sharing my life story and showing them how they can get free by powerful chapters like "FEAR DOUBT AND DOUBT FEAR", L.I.D which deals with and sands for (L.ow Self esteem, I.nsecurities, and D.epression) Other chapters like "Who Am I?" and more. As a special bonus I have also included a special poem that I had also written entitled "I'm going In" which was during one of the hardest times in my life where I jus wanted to throw in the towel and my declaration was "I couldn't go no further" and God changed that to "I’m going In." In other words, fight the good fight of faith. To go through, and hold on. When he enemy spoke death my God spoke destiny. So I stand today with this book that was written by me and inspired by God to stand as Moses did to lead the people out of Egypt (their pain) to the promise land flowing with milk and honey. How many of you know that being free in your mind, heart and health is God's Promise? God wants to bring you from your pit of pain to your palace of promise! Love you, and above all be blessed and be free!

Kiarrea Douglas
New User
DrJohnGibson
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book! WEALTHY SECRETS BY DR. JOHN GIBSON

Dr. John Gibson.
Financial Advisor, Entrepreneur, Author, Public Speaker and Self Made Millionaire.

Dr. John Gibson has always possessed a passion for business. He was raised by a single parent his mom. Life growing up was very tough financially. His father was addicted to cocaine and all odds said John would be another African American statistic. He did not allow his circumstances or environment keep him down. Against all odds at the age of 18 he opened his first business. Since then he has added several very successful businesses to his belt. Such as a chain of T-Mobile stores, a new restaurant concept franchise. He also operates one of the most successful Insurance Agencies' in Louisiana. He also holds an Associate, 2 Bachelors, a Master and a Doctorate degree . He is constantly searching for a good opportunity and loves inspiring others to do the same.

He prides himself in striving for success in each and everything he does. His new Book WEALTHY SECRETS  If you desire to be successful in any area of your life Dr. John Gibson encourages you to get this book.

Excerpt WEALTHY SECRETS

People often search for get rich quick schemes or magic investments that will catapult them into success. In preparing for this book I examined my success as well as the success of many people I know. I found success had less to do with the “What” and more to do with the “Who”. Let me explain. People often search for what will cause them to be successful. If you look at successful people you will find there is no magic investment. I know millionaires who became successful through real estate; others who became successful through the web; others through starting their own business. The list can go on forever and ever.

I did not see a common element in “What” they did but I did see a common element in “Who” they were. I realized success had more to do with the qualities they possessed and exhibited than what they did to become successful. This discovery is what motivated me to write this book.

Excerpt from a Chapter "I CAN'T"

In life there is one word that has been uttered out of the mouth of every individual millions of times. That is the word “I cant”. This word is like an infectious disease because it spreads very rapidly and is very contagious. It causes individuals to not try. I can remember going to school in junior high and high school and my teacher would always say I was not allowed to use the word can’t. At that time I just thought she was wacky and just wasting her breath. The truth of the matter is those words are the most profound words she ever imparted into my life. She would always say Can’t stands for “Certainly Am Not Trying”.

I want you to ask yourself how many times you are faced with a decision and how quickly you use the word I can’t. You want to open a business but begin to think about financing and can’t slips out your mouth or you desire to buy a house and the word cant slips out or you want a successful marriage and the word can’t slips out. Can’t starts out very small but if it is not monitored it can easily become a scapegoat for you not reaching for your dreams. When you begin to look at the word can’t as “I certainly am not trying”, you will find situations that seemed to be impossible are not so impossible. 

ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY. GO TO AUTHORHOUSE.COM CLICK ON BOOKSTORE LINK, TYPE IN WEALTHY SECRETS AND ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!!!!!!