Frequent Contributor
plumboz
0 Kudos

Re: It's a B&N kind of a book!

Another great review for Boomerang from across the pond.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can soooo see this as a movie!, 15 Jan 2011
By 
This review is from: Boomerang (Kindle Edition)

I had heard that this author's style had been likened to Douglas Adams, add that to the fact it was only 72p and I just had to try it. I was NOT disappointed! Anyone who has read Douglas Adams will be able to see the similar writing style, including a similar sense of humour!

At various points throughout the book I found myself thinking what a great film it would make (or even play!) I can't really explain why without risking ruining the book but I would be interested to see if anyone who has read it agrees with me.

Buy this book, I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

And this one, from right here at B&N

Fun read! Customer Rating See Detailed Ratings

Posted January 11, 2011, 12:35 PM EST: In order to save his pawned guitar, Ted Hogwood accepts an assignment from a branch of the government that isn't even official. His partner on this assignment is Jerry Kwiatkowski and their mission is to steal a boomerang that contains secrets that should have died with J. Edgar Hoover. What stands in their path? A crossbow wielding assassin, two unemployed Australian women, the director of Central Intelligence and an ex-cheerleader! Got your attention yet? Is your eyebrow raised? It should be! This book was a really fun read and Alan's writing style reminded me at times of the late Douglas Adams. The deeper into the plot you get, the more you can tell the characters are in a situation that's way over their heads. It's quirky, funny and really hard to put down. I found myself wondering how this all would come together and then when it did I was highly amused. It was really sad when this fun trip ended and I do hope to see these characters again somewhere down the road.

Boomerang

Best,
Alan Hutcheson (aka Plumboz)

author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue, with music
Frequent Contributor
Edison43
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

Read this book:  Encounter at North Road House, where a masked-unbeatable-psycho like Jason enters a house for another kill, but the house is a haunted house, and the wicked ghosts lock him in and immmediately, a war breaks out between the masked-killer and the elements of the haunted house.

Get it for $9.99 on the B&N NOOKbook.

Inspired Contributor
drdln

Art of Stress-free Living:

[ Edited ]

Art of Stress-free Living  Art of Stress-free Living: Eastern and Western Approach is a practical guide that combines various stress treatment approaches that have been recognized for centuries by faith healers and meditation experts, and are now accepted by modern medical practitioners. This is the first book of its kind, combining ancient Eastern wisdom and modern Western scientific knowledge.

“Art of Stress-free Living” can save you from going to expensive seminars and other programs offered in physicians' offices, spas, schools or retirement centers. You don’t need to go to an ashram in India or University “wellness” centers; because this book provides various relaxation techniques that you will be able to follow yourself.

What is called “Sudarshan Kriya” by new age gurus is a cycle of breaths—long, medium and short. Not only breathing patterns influence our emotions, the breath is in the present and is used to "rope in the wandering mind" that oscillates wildly between the past and the future. Like Zen masters who teach that the present moment is a chink opening into eternity, this guide describes in detail “THE POWER OF NOW- ZEN BUDDHISM APPROACH.”

This guide also takes into account the positive (pre-distress) aspects of stress.

The introduction to “Art of Stress-free Living” starts with a quote by Dr. Redford Williams, Duke University: “Diet and exercise alone are like a two-legged stool. It's more stable with the third leg, stress management.” However, the author goes even further that for healthy heart stress management is even more important than weight control and lower cholesterol. He observes that his stressed friends who were not overweight, had normal cholesterol ended up with bypass surgery, whereas those who are overweight but with low stress level did not need bypass surgery so far (in their mid-sixties now). He provides various studies and statistics on “high cost of stress” in terms of health as well as wealth. The studies show sixty to 90 percent of all doctor visits involve stress-related complaints.

The book consists of six chapters each representing an independent topic: chapter 1, Mind-Body Connection; Chapter 2, Stress Management Approaches; Chapter 3, Mental Relaxation Approaches to Stress; Chapter 4, How Breathing Affects Stress; Chapter 5, The Value of Spiritual Living; Chapter 6, The Power of Now: Zen Buddhism Approach. The chapters precede by introduction, and are followed by Glossary, References, Notes, and Information 'About the Author'.

After establishing mind-body connection in chapter 1, the next chapters 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 cover various approaches to stress management. However, before dealing with purely stress-management approaches, author does discuss in chapter 2 various sources of stress and stress symptoms. This chapter also gives a graph where you can determine your stress-level.

In addition to common sense approaches to routine stress, under specific stress-management approaches are discussed “Medical Approaches” and “Non-Medical alternatives.” Nutritional approach, exercise, sleep, a change of routine, financial planning, and communication are among various other means of handling stress. The relaxation techniques are  followed in detail later in the next chapters.

For Your Nook

drdln-nonfiction

Contributor
LucyKevin
0 Kudos

Seattle Girl by Lucy Kevin

Thanks for the chance to post something about our books, Jessica!

SEATTLE GIRL by Lucy Kevin

(A young adult romance about love, sex...and my really big mouth)

The first time Georgia Fulton gets behind a mic at her college radio station (because of a guy, of course...), she's hooked. (Who would have thought she'd ever find a job where a boss would appreciate her big mouth?) But being a smart-mouth doesn't necessarily keep her from getting hurt by one jerk after another. With help from her friends-and loyal listeners-will Georgia finally figure out the real deal about guys, sex, love...and maybe even herself?

Seattle Girl (A young adult romance about love, sex...and my really big mouth)

Contributor
LucyKevin
0 Kudos

Falling Fast by Lucy Kevin

Falling Fast by Lucy Kevin

(A romantic comedy about friendship, family...and unexpected love)

In Lucy Kevin's latest contemporary romance novel for teens and adult readers, when Alexa is sent by a magazine to be an undercover contestant on the reality TV series "Falling For Mr. Right" she assumes the worst part of the assignment will be having to act like a brainless bimbo to try and win the affection of an arrogant guy who is out looking for his fifteen minutes of fame. Color her shocked when it turns out that not only are several of her fellow contestants intelligent, funny women...but that Brandon – aka Mr. Right - isn't at all the kind of man she thought he'd be.

What's Alexa supposed to do when instead of digging up dirt for her cover story, she finds herself falling way too fast for the man she’s supposed to despise...and tear apart in her first big feature story?

Falling Fast (A romantic comedy about friendship, family...and unexpected love)

Contributor
David_Burrows
0 Kudos

Re: The Prophecy of the Kings

Hello. I am the author of The Prophecy of the Kings, a fantasy trilogy which comprises Legacy of the Eldric, Dragon Rider and Shadow of the Demon. Check it out, it could be just for you.

Sample chapters and reviews are available on my website http://davidburrows.org.uk/.

The books have recently achieved a Gold Award on http://readersfavorite.com/cat-71.htm?review=3451. The Prophecy of the Kings was also July Book of the Month on http://www.sciencefictionandfantasy.co.uk/legacy-of-the-eldric.htm.

This review of book 1 is from Science Fiction and Fantasy Website:

"In the distant past an all but forgotten race called the Eldric fought against the demon hordes in the legendary Krell Wars. In a close fought battle the Eldric became victorious and banished the soul of the Demon Horde's leader, a sorcerer of immense power known as Drachar. After the battle the Eldric disappeared from the land, taking with them the knowledge of sorcery lest another rise up and misuse the power and they, along with the war and knowledge of demons faded into myth and legend.

Recent times have given rise to a prophecy that says the shade of Drachar will rise again and with him the demon hordes.

Kaplyn is a prince of the realm who is desperate to escape the stifling confines of the Royal Court and sneaks away for an adventure. Kaplyn manages to find trouble soon enough in the form of bandits who have captured a stranger to the land. After rescuing this stranger, who goes by the name of Lars and has been shipwrecked on this land after a storm, they soon encounter Vastra, a sorcerer who enlists their help to find a relic of the long dead Eldric. All three soon become embroiled in a quest to discover just what happened to the Legendary Eldric and if possible, bring them back.

Legacy of the Eldric is a classic high fantasy novel, inspired by JRR Tolkien work (as many authors are) the novel manages to pay homage to the Lord of the Rings without any attempts at plagiarism. The central protagonists are rich in character and well fleshed out, Kaplyn the young prince desperate to have some adventure and avoid the drudgery of his high born life, while Lars is the tough but dependable fighter while the sorcerer Vastra is the unknown quantity, somewhat dark and troubled and really only seeming to aid when there is something in it for himself. Vastra shows the weaker elements of the human psyche, greed, selfishness, anger and sometimes even malice but occasionally tempered by more positive character traits.

The plot is quite fast paced with the minimum amount of world building needed to give background to the story while the 3rd person narrative is both clear and easy to read. Although the novel does contain the standard fantasy fair of Dwarves, Elves (at least their equivalent) and evil creatures, we are only really introduced to these as the story requires and nothing feels forced.

Legacy of the Eldric is pure escapism, a high fantasy novel that manages to entertain from beginning to end with an easy to read narrative, interesting characters and intelligent world building, I highly recommend this novel to any fan of fantasy fiction."

For those who have read it - let me know what you think. I would welcome your comments.

Good reading

David

David Burrows
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings
http://davidburrows.org.uk/
Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Re: Forever Young

[ Edited ]

FOREVER YOUNG Forever young isn't just about adding years to your life or for seniors only. It's about helping you function at peak capacity throughout life, feeling great, and being able to do all the things that make life worth living. It's about being biologically or functionally young, regardless of your chronological age.

You will find not only scientific theories about aging and how to apply for keeping young. But common sense tips and lifestyles of centenarians: Adopt the Life Style associated with Longevity--regular exercise, low fat diet, no smoking, moderate drinking, sleeping seven or eight hours-but not less than six or more than nine, using mental abilities, discipline, altruism, optimism, spiritual faith and above all love of life. The list continues to include active life-having a reason for living, an active sex life, controlling stress, good marriage and social life, proper use of lungs, intercostal muscles and diaphragm for specific deep Breathing Exercises to Slow Aging.

Before you can prevent, slow or reverse them--Recognize Signs of Aging that may include: (1) Decreased lung function (2) Change in pupil size-indicated by reduced illumination or decreased ability to focus (3) Bone loss (4) Sleep variations (5) Physiological changes that are mostly familiar to us--wrinkled skin, loss of stature, poor blood circulation, decreased short-term memory and other sensory loss.

The book recommends based on scientific findings: (1) Use antioxidants such as Vitamins E and C, and Selenium (2) Lower polyunsaturated (vegetable oils) fat in diet (3) Diet to slow autoimmune aging (4) Consume Nucleic Acids (DNA, RNA) to repair age-related damage. (5) Use of Melatonin (non-prescription hormone that body produces naturally but its production declines with age) is promising -- but we're not sure about long term effects. (6) Keep Young with Biochemicals that are SAFE and NATURAL such as certain vitamins, and enzymes--many of them are present in natural foods.

This guide also gives some tests of biological or functional age. Do it for fun with your family and see how people of different ages score.

For Your Nook

drdln-nonfiction

Contributor
Donna-Callea
0 Kudos

Re: The Haircut, A New Year's Tale

If you're in the mood for a whimsical, sensual love story, hope you'll try 

The Haircut, A New Year's Tale

Donna Callea
Contributor
DavidDerrico
0 Kudos

Right Ascension by David Derrico

My first novel, Right Ascension, and its sequel, Declination, are space-opera science fiction stories that combine action & adventure with the exploration of serious underlying ethical dilemmas. Set in the year 3040, Right Ascension examines mankind's place in the Universe, how we ascended to that lofty position, and the horrifying price of that ascension. It tells the story of one highly virtuous man who comes face to face with an invincible adversary and is forced to choose between honor ... and humanity's very survival.

My latest novel is The Twiller, a comedic novel that follows Ian, our hapless hero, as he's whisked around the Universe after his abduction from Earth. His companion, the Twiller, is about the only alien being who treats humans better than toenail lint. Ian is faced with a series of humorous and bizarre experiences on the worlds he visits (such as El Leigh, Bez Erkeley, and Huh? Why E?), utterly failing to realize the slight similarities to places here on Earth.

My e-books are just $2.99 each. I hope you enjoy them!

You can find excerpts, reviews, more info about my books, and my "Always Write" Blog over at my website:  www.davidderrico.com

Thanks for looking!

David Derrico, author of:
Right Ascension and Declination: thought-provoking space opera sci-fi
The Twiller: a humorous romp across the galaxy
Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

A New Look at Vegetarianism

A New Look at Vegetarianism  “A New Look at Vegetarianism” contains various aspects of plant-based, or meatless, diets. It provides not only economical, cultural, biological and evolutionary viewpoints of vegetarian diets but also modern perspectives on health promotion and disease prevention.

The material is presented succinctly, with good use of tables and pictures, and is referenced appropriately. In Chapter-1, vegetarian diets are classified as lacto-vegetarian, ovo-vegetarian, lacto-ovo-vegetarian, or vegan, respectively, if they include dairy products, eggs, both dairy products and eggs, or no animal products at all. Lacto-ovo- or lacto-vegetarians, diets can be followed without much concern about nutrition even in growing children, whereas children who are vegans may require special attention and may have slower growth even if they are in good health.

Vegetarians in general and vegans in particular should be concerned about nutrients in vegetarian diets. However, appropriately planned vegan or lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets can be nutritionally adequate. There is concern about the adequacy of vitamin B12 and D in vegans in general, but these needs can be met by food fortification. This book helps with all the concerns vegetarians have about balanced nutrition.

In Chapter-4 health-promoting phytochemicals (beyond the traditional nutrients) provide information about the food and herbal sources that can be used against cancer, heart problems, and even to live-longer. Whether phytochemicals or otherwise, the book recommends that whole foods rather than juices and supplements be consumed for the best protection against disease or even irregularity.

The discussion of vegetarian diets in relation to the U.S. Dietary Guidelines and disease-specific guidelines show overlap with vegetarian eating patterns. For heart disease, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and cancer both of these recommend eating unrefined grains, fruits, and vegetables and the reduction of the intake of saturated fat and cholesterol (present in all animal products but not in plants). “The current dietary guidelines suggest that diets rich in plant foods with small or minimal amounts of animal foods may be the remedy for diseases related to modern life-style.'' Dietary guidelines for vegetarians could be developed with the aim of promoting the consumption of a wide variety and abundance of plant foods; primarily unrefined and minimally processed plant foods; optional dairy products, eggs, or both; and a generous amount of water and other fluids.

There are historical references to “vegetarianism” as a religious practice in the East and John Harvey Kellogg in the West, a 20th-century Seventh-Day Adventist, who was trained as a physician and operated a Seventh-Day Adventist Sanitarium in Battle Creek, Michigan. He developed meat substitutes and other vegetarian health foods, including the breakfast cereals that have immortalized the family name worldwide.

The book includes appendices: Quiz on myth and reality of vegetarianism, Nutritionally balanced vegetarian menus, and Vegetarian diet recipes.

The author of over dozen books, Dr. Dhillon’s unique qualifications include advanced degree in life sciences and molecular biology from Yale University in the West, and his earlier education and experience with vegetarianism as a part of culture, yoga, breathing and spirituality from the East. He uses his knowledge to the fullest and truly presents a synthesis of Eastern and Western approaches to diet and nutrition. The overall impression the book leaves is that vegetarian diets are safe, palatable, healthy, and nutritionally sound.

For Your Nook

drdln-nonfiction