Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Edison43
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

Price $9.95 - Encounter at North Road House  on B&N NOOKbook

A masked, invicible psychopath Jason-type enters a house looking for another life to take, but the house is empty and haunted.  The doors of the haunted house then lock shut and entrap the masked-killer - instantly, a war breaks out between the haunted elements of the house and the masked psychopath.

New User
YurvaBoston
0 Kudos

Finding the Civil War in Your Family Album

ABOUT THE BOOK

Maureen Taylor, the Photo Detective, turns her attention to portraits and pictures taken in the Civil War era to help you find wartime stories in your family photo collection. These images, whether it's a man in uniform or a woman posing with her children, tell the story of your family's involvement in a critical period of history. If you're not sure if your photo dates from that timeframe, this book will help you determine when it was taken.

About the author:
Maureen Taylor is an internationally known expert on photo identification. She travels extensively giving presentations on photo identification, photo preservation and family history. She has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, and on NBC's Today Show, ABC's The View and NPR

civil war book

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

The Power of Breathing

The most powerful book on breathing that not only explains what many people learn in expensive workshops and remote retreats but very personal routine the author follows. Several independent studies on breathing are given that confirm the practitioners of breathing techniques not only experience physical and mental comfort, but discover cures for illnesses such as asthma.

The Power of Breathing  

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Re: 50 to 75% sale

<<

Dr Din, I hope you don't mind I call you that because your handle reads that way in my little mind and it fits with the type of work you write (at least, in my little mind). When I submitted my books at Smash, it took 5 days for approval to the main catalog on the first ones, and only 3 on the last batch I submitted. It does say that it can take up to 2 weeks, so unless you had a formatting problem, I wouldn't be too concerned. If you haven't tried it, try the 3press epub checker by downloading your converted epub file. My first file failed through an oversight on my part, but after that, everything went smooth.

PS-I think once your books hit the main retailers, you'll be surprised at the sales, what you're writing is relevant, unlike my escapism fiction. Good luck, Will>>

I don't know how to add the posted text in the message, so I just copied and pasted.

Will I do appreciate your reply and advice. Yes, it is formatting problem that is delaying. Because most of my nonfiction books require Tables and that's the main problem. But I have finally started to understand smashwords format and have now 6 books already approved.

As far retailers and sale, I have no clue how do customers find about my books that are selling.

Any marketing tips will be helpful but I am not good at that. Thanks and wish you all the best.

sukhraj dhillon

Reader
joycedebacco
0 Kudos

Where Dreams are Born by Joyce DeBacco

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce my novel Where Dreams are Born. Dreams is currently available as an e-book or print book on many online bookstores. At B & N, however, only the print book is available. B & N is taking their good, sweet time putting up the Nookbook version.

Here is a little info about my book as well as clips of two reviews from reputable review sites. Please check it out when you get a chance.

Where Dreams Are Born

It was supposed to be a win-win situation—a safe environment in which to raise a son for single mom Vicky, housekeeping and childcare for widowed Jack. Neither one wants or expects anything more. Then Jack learns his best friend fathered Vicky’s son and now wants partial custody, and he feels threatened. He’s come to care deeply for both, and doesn’t want to lose the family they’ve become. In desperation he offers a radical solution—marriage. Vicky knows she can do worse than marry Jack, but wonders how successful their marriage would be when its only reason for being was to keep from losing her son. Add to this a troubled child with a secret about her dead mother and a vindictive ex bent on revenge and complications abound.

S. Wurman of Night Owl Reviews says, “there is a rather intriguing story involving a cast of characters that have very real problems. Life isn’t neat and predictable and neither is this story. DeBacco does a really good job of getting the reader invested in the outcome of this unusual pairing. Enjoy.”

Judith of The Book Binge says, “This is truly a compelling novel of real life and one that I think will stay with me a long time.  I will probably go and re-read it one day soon--way too much here to grasp just one time through. It is entertaining as well as deeply emotional, and it was remarkably free of those "dead spots" that seem to be in some stories--flat places where I find myself reading a sentence or two on one page before going on to the next. I think you will like this book if you like a good contemporary love story populated with vibrant characters mixed in with some mystery and suspense.”

First two chapters on http://www.joycedebacco.com. Thanks for reading.

Joyce

visit http://www.joycedebacco.com for the first two chapters of all my books.
Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

A Treasure of Great Spiritual Stories: Spirituality in Everyday Living

This collection of spiritual stories and precepts supplement and buttress our moral sense, which is conscience or the spark within that tells us to do good. Learning spirituality is not simply philosophy and drama. It teaches us everyday behavior, whether controlling our tempers or appetites, or just watch TV. We learn spirituality the same way we learn math or play baseball -- through practice.

A TREASURE OF GREAT SPIRITUAL STORIES  

Contributor
BigBus
0 Kudos

Sukhraj, even though I have been in sales most of my life, I find it very difficult to sell my own product. Marketing is a science and a learned expertise, but a few things that I've found to work for me include using social sites like facebook. My personal secret weapon is also one of my hobbies. I like printing and binding my own books. I have an eBook titled 'Simply Perfect Binding' that is available in Nook or as a printed book at: www.Lulu.com/bookworm  I bind the first in the series as a paperback and then sign them and give them to special people that I meet if they're into reading. This will generate both word of mouth in markets that I normally couldn't reach, and because the printed book gets passed around, it also generates sales for the rest of the books in the series.

Because we travel alot, I have opportunities to meet many different people in many different places and the free/autographed paperbacks leave a lasting impression that spreads. There is a work by Mark Coker on selling yourself also. It's available at the Smashwords site.

Hope this helps a little and good luck, Will

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

Re: Under Witch Moon: Urban fantasy giveaway on LibraryThing

I'm doing a giveway of Under Witch Moon over on Librarything:

http://www.librarything.com/er/giveaway/list

You'll need to search by title to find the book.  You also have to be a member of LibraryThing and a member of the group of readers who are signed up for giveaways. 

The giveway is for Ebook copy only!

Under Witch Moon

Thanks,

Maria

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

Will, I do appreciate your response. I admit I am not good at marketing of any kind.  I think reading and doing are different things.  I have read almost everything about marketing, and am member of every social group. But I never got a grasp on marketing. Perhaps that is out of my league. Because of lack of interest, I just post and sometimes over do it and all I get are warnings.

I enjoy writing. So let it sell at its own. Or find some partner who can handle marketing.

Thanks Will for the pointers.  Wish you all the best.

Contributor
SJWrightAuthor
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

“Refreshing and engaging, I blasted right through to the end. And this is her only novel? Can't wait to see what she comes up with next!” S.E. Gordon

“Can't wait for the second book to come out.” – Barnes & Noble Review by Anonymous customer

“I lost some sleep over this book, preferring to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to find out what happened. I can't recommend it enough!” – Barnes & Noble Review by Elizabeth Sharp

“To say I liked this book would be an understatement! I loved this book! Not only is it suspenseful, it is romantic with a dark twist. Comparable to the Twilight series, Vampire's Warden is a must read! An explicit start to an exciting series. 
Can't wait for the next book to come out!” – Kindle Review by Star

The Vampire's Warden  $0.99

What do you do when you find out the people you trust have been hiding a terrible secret?  When Sarah’s father passes away and hands over to her the responsibility of running the family’s inn, she finds out that things are far more complicated than she first imagined.  She not just responsible for running the inn.  She’s become the Vampire’s Warden.

Author of The Vampire's Warden, available on the Nook and the soon-to-be-released The Vampire's Curse: Book Two of the Undead in Brown County series.