Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

MQW
New User
MQW
0 Kudos

Sailor by Michael L. Goines

Sailor: an urban fictional period piece set in the early seventies. A young sailor’s tour of duty and his pursuit of fast money set the stage for a humorous journey into the dark world of sex, drugs and violence. It’s often said that sailors have a woman in every port and a hustle in all  the bars. Some would say it’s just an old cliché, but one sailor actually lived the life. As with all things, “nothing for nothing” there’s always a price to be paid and some price tags are steeper than others. It wasn’t the job, but the adventure of fast money and beautiful women that lead to the doorsteps of death. Now at the hour of dust before dawn the last grain of sand was about to fall.

www.myquietword.blogspot.com  provides book reviews with an easy and free outlet for independent and self-published authors to list their books with direct links to their own sales channel.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sailor/Michael-L-Goines/e/9781453760444/?itm=1&USRI=michael+l+goine...

Contributor
Jennifer_Malin
0 Kudos

Re: As You Wish by Jennifer Malin

As You Wish 

While touring an English estate, American Leah Cantrell finds an antique coin in a spring and tosses it back, casually wishing she knew who originally made a wish with it. The next thing she knows, she slips into the water and finds herself drowning in an abyss. In 1815, David Traymore, illegitimate son of the Marquess of Solebury, saves Leah from drowning on his father’s property. In his view, she’s dressed scantily, speaks with a strange accent and talks a lot of nonsense. Is this mysterious woman a madwoman, a French spy, the victim of a crime … or the answer to his wish?

Sample chapters on my blog here: http://www.jenmalin.com/as-you-wish

Thanks so much for considering my books!

Jen

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

A Simple Solution to America's Weight Problem:

[ Edited ]

New & natural way to weight loss. Not another diet and vigorous exercise or some nutrient, vitamin, hormone, and drug that I am promoting. With child obesity at national emergency levels (that has involved first lady Michelle Obama now); it is time to treat those fat, unhealthy, undisciplined, drug infested bodies with a technique that works. This book is here to help you with that. Good Luck!

A SIMPLE SOLUTION TO AMERICA'S WEIGHT PROBLEM  

Frequent Contributor
cebj25
0 Kudos

My novels on sale for $.99

Hey all. For two more weeks, my novels are on sale for $.99 on the Nook, and then they'll return to their regular price of $2.99. All of them available in paperback form too.

The Usurper  a political thriller, paperback available for $9.99

Ever wonder what would happen if our worst fears were realized, and we elected someone who was willing to destroy the USA no matter the cost to him, his fellow countrymen, or the rest of the world? The Usurper is that novel. Gary Jackson is raised to hate. Hate the United States, its people, and everything they have ever stood for. His mission is to destroy the country from within, allying himself with the worst of America's enemies, and one very powerful and malevolent billionaire, to accomplish the deed. Once elected to the highest position in the land, Gary puts his lifelong goals to work, and puts the USA onto the path of ultimate destruction. He stops at nothing to rid the USA of his political and spiritual enemies, until a small group decide they've had enough, and they want to stop him. Will they succeed or will the United States be relegated to the dustbin of history

Out of Time   time travel novella, $6.99 for paperback
In the 2150's, Dr. John Hawking, who is an almost exact clone of the famous 20th/21st century scientist, Stephen Hawking, discovers time is actually fluid; past, present, and future all exist at the same time. What he doesn't know, is if the current timeline can change when something is changed in the past. The US government wants him to find out. The theme being to make right what once went wrong.

Hawking's invention only works with a spaceship, so one is renamed the USS Albert Einstein, and he goes on time travel adventures with military members assigned to the ship. They go back to Wounded Knee in 1890,  the Titanic in 1912, Anne Frank and her family in 1940, President Kennedy in 1963, and various NASA spacecraft from 1970 to 1986.

Unfortunately, a group of time travelers from 50 years in the future are determined to stop Hawking from changing the past. So, they steal the Einstein, causing them to end up in 1947 Roswell, which sets up a time loop until Hawking and his group break it by beginning their missions. When they end up back in their present time, they find things have changed, but not necessarily for the better. Will they return to the point in time where everything changed, or will they decide they've messed with history too much? Find out in this time travel novella.

Don't Mess With Earth    science fiction, paperback available, and is sitting in the top 10-15 of high tech science fiction novels.

Humans discover that two groups of aliens have been manipulating human history since the pre-historic days. One group does this by posing as historical figures such as King Arthur, Galileo, Amelia Earhart, among others. The other group causes all sorts of historical anomalies such as the Salem Witch Trials and the disappearance of the Roanoke colonists. Centuries later, when the humans from the country called the United States get a chance to study the technology of a downed alien ship in Roswell, they decide to do something about both groups of aliens. Once the scientists of Earth start reverse engineering the downed spacecraft, President Truman issues an executive order that will forever change Earth history.

Shattered Earth  science fiction, paperback is $12.99

Advanced humans, called Terrans, leave Earth when its threatened by a massive meteor. The remaining humans on Earth fall back into primitiveness. The advanced humans, and a group of aliens, the Ragnor, involve Earth in an interstellar war. Thousands of years later, the humans of Earth decide to do something about this. Interstellar politics will never be the same again once Earth is done with their revenge. These Terrans involve themselves throughout human history. Some play as King Arthur and Merlin. Another is a scientist, whose name is Galileo, and he gets into all sorts of trouble for challenging official orthodoxy about the sun, the Earth, and which one is revolving around the other. Then, we have Amelia Earhart, who has a very valid reason for disappearing.

When an alien spaceship gets shot down over Roswell in 1947, President Truman orders the creation of Area 51, Project Blue Book and Sign, and has the United States embark on a plan that will culminate 60 years in the future. Nothing will ever be the same again when the United States gets involved in interstellar politics. But, the whole plan backfires when Earth ends up the worse for wear over it. Other species find out what Earth did, since no one else was bold enough to even try, so they want to help bring down the Ragnor once and for all. The new President of the United States imagines a galactic federation or a republic, but, none of the other species wants anything to do with it. With the help of the Terran who is known to Earth as Amelia Earhart, they plot to destroy the Ragnor once and for all. Will Earth learn never to interfere in interstellar politics or will the humans finally succeed in getting all the aliens in the universe to leave them alone?

Contributor
SusanHatler
0 Kudos

The Boyfriend Bylaws - a chick lit / contemporary romance

The Boyfriend Bylaws  

Melanie Porter has been dumped—again. When others accuse her of “being in love with being in love,” she agrees to let her best friend, Patti, step in and direct her dating life with The Boyfriend Bylaws.

EXCERPT

Rule #1: No giving out your phone number until approved to do so.

Rule #2: Must obtain permission to accept any date invitation.

Rule #3: No bringing up marriage, kids or the future.

Rule #4: No going to first base without authorization.

Amended Rule #4: No going to first base, or any other base, without authorization.

Rule #5: No scribbling your first name with some guy’s last name. Ever.

Rule #6: New rules may be added as Patti Hartley deems necessary.

Memorize it, live by it, and happy dating!

. . . .

“His name is Nick,” I said. “He seems like a total gentleman, not to mention he’s insanely gorgeous. Can I get permission to go on a date with him before he asks me out?”

Patti scoffed, stretched her leg out, and reached for her right foot. “No way.”

Why did she have to be so difficult? I was playing by her rules. “What’s the point of waiting until he asks me out, and then calling you? That’s just stupid.”

“Why should you wait? Let’s see. Brad. Paul. Mike. Marcus. And don’t think I didn’t see the wink your co-worker, Matt, gave you at lunch today.”

New User
Elijah_Joon
0 Kudos

THE ELIJAH JOON E-LIBRARY

[ Edited ]

ALL TITLES ARE $ 0.99

TEMPORAL   

TEMPORAL: a Novel of Consciousness and Time is a post-modern literary comedic drama about the relationships between life and art, memory and dreams, and temporal as well as eternal concerns in the increasingly alienated (and alienating) 21st-century youth culture.

Suggested for readers who enjoy Haruki Murakami crossed with Chuck Palahniuk, David Chase, and Brian Greene or Michio Kaku with a touch of Sylvia Plath's "Johnny Panic" and Christopher Nolan's Memento.

Psalms Amidst Lamentations   “All poems are love poems.”
— John Ashbery, Raymond Carver, May Sarton

PSALMS AMIDST LAMENTATIONS originated as a series of poems written by the protagonist in an unfinished novel by author and filmmaker, ELIJAH JOON. The author has since decided to isolate a portion of the poems and present them in this collection as a singular work able to stand on its own merit.

Provoking and enigmatic, the collection is thematically bonded to THE MASTER LETTERS of Emily Dickinson and LETTERS TO FELICIAN by Austrian poet Ingeborg Bachmann.

Though written for another novel, these intense yet serene poems beat in synch as an emotional companion piece to the young author’s debut novel, TEMPORAL: a Novel of Consciousness and Time.

Presented as part of the ART HOUSE ESSENTIAL READING Series of outstanding contemporary literary works.

AUSTRIAN-ACCENTED ACTION GUY    Introducing a new satirical Action/Adventure series chronicling the exploits of an AUSTRIAN-ACCENTED ACTION GUY... ARHNULD BRAWNSWAGGER stars in this short story about a crew of gangsters who rough up a detective causing their boss trouble.
The problem is, the detective is friends with THE AUSTRIAN-ACCENTED ACTION GUY, and right now, he and his trusty Desert Eagle are very angry.

Action-packed with pitch-black humor, this is an introduction to the RED BAND: Extreme Content Series from Joon Bug Media.

Reader
0 Kudos

The Guardians by Christopher Williams

I'm pleased to announce that The Guardians is available. For a limited time, I am selling it for only $0.99.

Flare is a young half elf who has been raised by the elves. Despite having spent his entire life with the elves, he has never really been accepted and lives the life of an outcast.

As his thirtieth birthday approaches, Flare makes a momentous decision. He decides to travel to the Southern city of Telur to join the Guardians. The Guardians are the elite part of the Telurian army, and anyone can join; even foreigners.

The elves are outraged, and Flare is forced to flee the elven forest and travel alone to the human city of Telur, where he joins the Guardians and begins his military training.

Flare is assigned to the western Fort of Mul-Dune, where he continues traveling the path of prophecy. Unknowingly, Flare has began down the path of an ancient and cryptic prophecy. A prophecy that the church of Adel will do anything to keep from being fulfilled. Anything, including murder.

Please visit my website http://www.BooksbyChristopherWilliams.com for details on my other books. I also have a picture of the map that I used in the writing of this book.

Thanks,

Christopher

Frequent Contributor
plumboz
0 Kudos

Re: More nice reviews for Boomerang

It keeps on coming back to me...., 15 Mar 2011

This review is from: Boomerang (Kindle Edition)

This was a great book and full of fun. It took a little while to gel for me, but once it did I was hooked. At first it seemed to be very bitty - it skipped from one set of characters to the next without letting me get them sorted in my head. Once I had them all straight, and the threads started to come together, I realised just how well it was done.

There were so many brilliant characters and memorable scenes, as I said in my title, they keep on coming back. I think that the slapstick humour at first masks the quality of the writing. When I tried to come up with a couple of quotes that stood out, it wasn't the funny stuff, but the more quiet and reflective bits that came to mind.

I thought the ending was lovely, and unexpectedly moving. It made the characters feel more real and not just figures of fun. I do hope there will be more books about them all.

Yep, folks in the UK have discovered Boomerang and taken it to their hearts in a pretty big way. Would love to introduce more B&N readers to Ted Hogwood, Jerry Kwiatkowski, Doreen Lush, Leslie the assassin, Bethie the clothing optional ex-Onion Festival Queen, Oz the airedale, and the mysterious "&".

Boomerang

Best,
Alan Hutcheson (aka Plumboz)

author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue, with music
Frequent Contributor
John_Gaffield
0 Kudos

Re: Ghost Stories for the Nook (Some Free!)

[ Edited ]

Here are my two free short ghost stories:

Slow Down (Free)

A short story about a careless driver, named Scott, who causes a tragedy. Scott is haunted by his actions. Will it cause him to change his ways?

The Ghost of Birch River Cabin (Free)

Staying at a dark secluded cabin along the Birch River that his uncle owns seems like the perfect fly fishing weekend getaway for Paul. Strange occurrences begin happening. Will it be enough to prevent the unknown history of the cabin from being repeated? (about 5500 words).

NOTE: A third free short horror story will be available at B & N in a few weeks (via Smashwords). It is called "Winter Visitor."

And here are my two full length ghost story novels available for the Nook:

Heir to Winston Manor is available for $2.99:

Tim Weir is stunned to learn that he is included in the will of his great aunt and uncle. He inherits the house that he had visited a few times in his youth. Wanting to see what needs to be done in order to sell the house and the property, he takes time off from work to visit the large estate on the coast of Lake Michigan. Strange things begin happening which he struggles to explain. He comes to realize that he may not be alone in the vacant house. With restless spirits remaining around the estate, Tim searches for answers to understand why the ghosts linger and why he was chosen to inherit the manor. (about 44,000 words).

The Wahl House Curse is available for $2.99:

Peter Corbin is in need of a change in his job as a realtor in a busy suburban community. A chance to transfer to a small town seems to be what he and his wife Sarah need. They purchase an old house for a bargain price without much regard for the troubled past. This proves to be something he will soon regret. The restless ghosts quickly make their presence known. (about 60,000 words). Note: this is now being featured at Spalding's Racket this week!

I am working on my third full length ghost story novel with the working title of "Alone Again," and plan on publishing it within a few months.

Inspired Contributor
drdln
0 Kudos

In Search of God: The God of Spirituality

This guide provides fresh insight into the mysteries about God; and leaves us wiser, peaceful, and enlightened. God and spirit is no more another worldly belief in fate, luck, chance, or coincidence. The God is not in church, mosque or temple only that appears every Sunday. The God is in us 24-hours a day; and we’re capable of achieving union with God in this life by realizing the Divine within.

In Search of God