Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

MJH
Contributor
MJH
0 Kudos

Re: Author would welcome some feedback

Hi,

Thanks for your very encouraging replies. To answer the question regarding what would be a suitable age to read the book, I have always said that I would not let anyone under around eleven read it. It's quite dark and intense, although I'm delighted that you picked up on the values and issues that the story is attempting to explore. Although I'm the writer so I'm slightly biased (!), I do feel that my book has something worthwhile to say. I don't know if you've checked out the excerpts, but that should give you a good sense of whether it would be acceptable or not.

I do hope that some of you will get an opportunity to read the book and it would be great to hear what you think. And I would be more than happy to answer any questions that might arise :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

MJH, just out of curiosity, was there something in particular that inspired you to write this novel? With such emotion and suspense, I can't help but wonder where it comes from. It's really awesome.
MJH
Contributor
MJH
0 Kudos

The question about inspiration is a complicated one and I could probably write a long essay on my influences. But I think maybe I'll save that for another time :smileyhappy: But I grew up with fantasy, everything from Narnia to Hammer horror movies! Most of all though I am interested in the struggle between the darkness and the light and the possiblity of ultimate redemption. These are the themes that really fascinate me and would no doubt feature in some way in anything I write. I hope you get a chance to read The Magic Lands and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.
Frequent Contributor
trumptower
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

[ Edited ]
Thank you Jessica for undertaking a very noble endeavor to assist obscure authors like myself in getting some exposure from your readers. Unfortunately, even this effort probably doesn't help much.

Please indulge me as I relate some of my story as a writer. I just completed my first book, God's Living Postcards. It's a sweet story that eloquently speaks to many of the great issues that we will all deal with sooner or later. Things like meaning in life, love, death and the search for ultimate truth. It's not perfect but it is well written and it presents a consistent storyline that flows at a good pace and offers quite a variety of twists and turns. I employed a fair amount of symbolism to engage the reader with a more aggressive mind. The tale is decidedly multi-level and was written to appeal to everyone from adolescents to 80 year old Ivy Leaguers. Long story short: it is a beautiful little book but sadly nobody is giving it a chance.

I went the self-publishing route with Xlibris for one simple reason. I detest editors. Let me restate that more succinctly. I DETEST editors! If an editor at Random, Knopf, McGraw etc. starts dickering with my book than in truth it is no longer my book. There is something terribly amiss when an editor winds up telling a writer what he can or can't include in his book! And then of course there are the people above the editors, the anointed who really call the shots. Those are the demigods who decide what America and much of the world will read. I have found that the publishing domain is very much the turf of the media conglomerate Pied Piper. For those of us with tales to tell but with no credentials other than perhaps having the stuff to be the next Dickens or Hemingway, it's a stacked deck. There are walls around those proud towers where the fates of authors are decided and they are impregnable to the guy or gal with the next 'Tale of Two Cities' or 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'. It's a high minded enterprising aristocracy that runs things and for better or worse they are focused on two quantities. The first is the next quarter's operating results. The second is the measure and potency of media cred that an author brings. Are you Rosie O'Donnell with a tell all about the inner workings of 'The View'. They want you, they adore you and they will trip all over themselves to share the presumably substantial profit from your book. If you're Mary Nobody from Minnesota or Nebraska with an achingly wonderful, unique and inpsiring story to tell, you're not welcome, thank you very much. There are more important works that need to be fed to the masses. And by and large the masses eat it up even when it's tasteless swill.

What I've just alluded to is an IMMENSE mountain for the aspiring writer to overcome. Almost but not quite impossible. I've learned to never say never but....

So luckily in this great open society in which we dwell, there's the self-publishing option. At least a writer can get his book into the public domain via this avenue. But let's be real. This is not Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue or even Harbor Boulevard is Costa Mesa. This is a kind of alley that leads to dead ends, the kind of place that perpetually exists in the shadows and on the fringe and through which few dare to venture. Remember, it hasn't been anointed by the powers that be so it can't possibly contain anything of value. Do you realize the ignorance that the self-pulished writer is up against?

But I believe, steadfastly do I believe in the good of this country and the wisdom of its people. Mainly because that's all I have. I have my hope and I nurture it every day. I love it the way a father loves a favorite son because I know that if it dies, so will I.

So I ask you Jessica and your readers to give me that chance. Give me a shot and try my book. It's all that I ask. You may not find it to be 'A Tale of Two Cities' or 'Les Miserables' but I'm almost certain that you'll find some level of enjoyment in it and perhaps even a memorable passage or two. 'God's Living Postcards is my baby and I so want her to be loved.

The book's summary, my author bio and a three page book excerpt can be found on the Xlibris website. If you select the 'Bookstore' tab from the home page and then search on my name (David Parks) or the book's title you'll find all of the information regarding it.

Thank you for the opportunity to present my case directly to the people. I'm quite sure thousands of other self-publishing authors would join me in my expression of gratitude. And somewhere I think that Dickens and Hemingway and the great ones departed are smiling on your generosity and the noble spirit of this fine effort.

Edited by Admin. for formatting and links.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:56 AM
New User
Ronlovestoread_7
0 Kudos

End of Daze Novel

[ Edited ]
My name is Ron "Kwiet Storm" Smith and I am the author of End of Daze. End of Daze is a very intriguing novel about main character Solar who has the task of uplifting mankinds spiritual awareness as the shift of the ages is upon us. Solar's wife Sirius becomes intolerant of his platonic relationship with his best friend Robyn, which seems to be developing into something more. Solar's life continues to unravel as he is stalked and kidnapped by by mutant followers of a billionaire geneticist, Nuemann Phater who will stop at nothing to prevent spiritual awareness. Phater has also kidnapped thousands of children for his experiment that he plans to use to take over the world. Join Solar as he struggles to uplift the spiritual awareness of mankind and resist joining forces with the villain who attempts to convert him.

Edited by Admin. for formatting only.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:57 AM
MJH
Contributor
MJH
0 Kudos

For anyone who may be interested I thought I would post a character breakdown from The Magic Lands. As always feedback would be much appreciated.

Tom Lewis.
Jack Barton.
Two boys about to embark on a journey that will take them toward adulthood, a change embracing both enlightenment and loss. Two boys who will discover a place apart from the world we know, a realm where dreams and reality seem to interweave and deception is at the heart of everything.

Mo.
To the boys he is a badger, an animal. But one capable of speech, capable of far more than they suspect. To Tom and Jack he is a mentor, a guide, but as their journey unfolds, they will discover that he holds the key to many mysteries and keeps hidden from them many secrets.

The White Wolf.
A beast, a cruel adversary. But one with a purpose. One who delights in the darkness. One who enjoys the deadliest of games where life and death are but the smallest of wagers.

Dredger.
A warrior from the past, held in limbo for so long his mind may well have become unhinged. A man who holds duty above all things, but who carries a darkness within his soul that may be not only his own undoing, but also bring down those who he has sworn to protect.

Lisa.
The girl of Tom’s dreams. Or his nightmares. Enigmatic, innocent and yet sensual. A mystery.

Ira.
An old man who has travelled further than can be possibly imagined. A man who must send his only son on a quest that may very well lead to death, or perhaps things far worse than death.

Geheimnis.
A man who wears a mask. An enemy or an ally? A dangerous man, if indeed a man he is.

A disparate band brought together to find a solution to a question asked at the dawn of time. To find a reason for both the darkness and the light. To find hope. But also to pay the price.
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

Awesome variety of characters. Just in reading about the characters, my imagination created some really cool pictures of the characters you created. I'm looking forward to getting started on this story.
MJH
Contributor
MJH
0 Kudos

Thanks! Really happy you liked it :smileyhappy:

When you start reading the story let me know and feel free to ask questions if you want to.
div
New User
div
0 Kudos

MAYA by Divya Sood

[ Edited ]
This book is the story of Maya and Arjun. Arjun is a young photographer and Maya is a widow who's husband's memory haunts her. When Arjun and Maya fall in love, their love is challenged by Maya's insanity and Arjun's inability to believe in pasts and ghosts of past lovers. Ultimately, a sage tells them that they must travel through their past lifetimes to discover why they are together in this one. Arjun reluctantly follows Maya through these dreams until the last dream when his faith is failing him and his sense of pride threatens to tear them apart forever. Maya is a work that uses lyricism and descriptive prose to enter the core of what we all question: the power of faith and the possibility of love.

About me: I am currently a Master's student at New York University. I studied creative writing in the English department at Rutgers. I won several awards for fiction during that time including the NJ Chapter of Arts and Letters First Prize for short fiction. I have attended Breadloaf and continue to write. Maya is my first novel.

Link to the book:
Maya

Edited by Admin. for formatting only.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:58 AM
New User
Jimwhite
0 Kudos

Read My Book! America, Wake Up! by me James R White Jr

[ Edited ]
America, Wake Up! You may get a copy by going to the links below!

America, Wake Up!

Edited by Admin. for formatting and links.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 11:01 AM