Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
iheartmacs
0 Kudos

First Trip; Sex, Drugz, and Rock & Roll in the 70'z by Cheryl Taylor

First Trip 

1luckydogJM OMG this was a page turner.  Reader Rating See Detailed Ratings

Posted March 21, 2010, 4:53 PM EST: In the editors review, they talk of vicarious enjoyment. This reading was not vicarious to this old man who loved, absolutely loved the seventies. Most of what I have learned in my seventy years on this Earth were from the period. But I was really caught off-guard by Dawn's all too real experience with cannibals and did not realize they existed in this country. This was a terrific book and I would love to sit down with the author to relive some of Dawn's experiences. I feel like a born-again virgin after reading this. 1luckydog in Southern, Illinois

mistyblu04 FIRST TRIP BY CHERYL TAYLOR  Reader Rating See Detailed Ratings

Posted March 15, 2010, 8:43 PM EST: I give thumbs up for this one,about 14 year old runnaway,kept me interested from start to finnish,Made me feel scared for the girl,made me happy when she was alright,kept me on edge of my seat wondering what else was going to happen to this child.cant wait for the next book.this is a must read,wheather you lived during those years or not. easy read not too long ,not too short, chapters just right.very well written.

New User
Mike6
0 Kudos

Shall Never See So Much

Hello!

My name is Gerald Gillis, and my captioned novel has just been released. It is the story of a brother and sister in the epochal year 1968. The brother is a Marine infantry lieutenant in Vietnam at the time of the Tet Offensive; the sister works on the campaign staff of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy in his bid for the presidency. It is a story of heroism, triumph, and tragedy.

I am an Atlanta-based writer, and Shall Never See So Much is my second novel. Here's hoping you'll give it a look.

It is available on bn.com at http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=BOOK&WRD=shall+never+see+so+much

Thanks and best wishes, Gerald

New User
anastasiablackwell
0 Kudos

Hot New Gothic Suspense "The House on Black Lake".

Book is newly released and will be of interest to those with interest in all romance genres.

More info about book, trailer and music videos at www.houseonblacklake.com

Reader 2
Shindaheen
0 Kudos

The Simpering, North Dakota Literary Society is out!

G.F. Skipworth's "The Simpering, North Dakota Literary Society" is finally out this week. A blend of historical fiction and light humor, Simpering centers on the year of 1919, when there wasn't much to laugh about. World War I had ended, fascism was already on the rise in Italy, and American women stood tall in the peak of the suffrage movement. Then along came the Simpering, North Dakota Literary Society. You've never lived in a town like this!

I took a rest from fantasy writing after the four volume "Fables of the Carpailtin Campfire" and "Winterreise - Winter Journey." It's been a lot of fun to work with Mark Twain in "Stormfield - Tales From the Hereafter," although it's difficult to write dialogue for a man that witty. I fell into the same trap in "The Simpering, North Dakota Literary Society" when Dorothy Parker, the greatest swordswoman in all rhetoric enters the story - but what fun it was (except that she said those things on the spot...I had the luxury of staying up all night thinking of them.)

Simpering is about a lot of things - for one, when we exclude any group, we exclude our own strengths. Second, when we become independent and accomplished, we still need the people of our inner circle. Third, great projects can lead us away from our original intention to do the right thing. Fourth - (Wish I'd thought it up, but will at least quote it) "Sits he (or she) on ever so high a throne, a man (or woman) still sits on his (or her) ass."  In short, it's about people - wonderful, flawed, smart, stupid, withdrawn and overt people - as humanity was practiced in 1919.

I hope you'll give "The Simpering, North Dakota Literary Society" a look - and if you do, I hope you'll enjoy it - Many thanks, G.F. Skipworth

Contributor
David_Burrows
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book!

I am the author of the Prophecy of the Kings, a fantasy trilogy comprising:

Book 1 of the Prophecy of the Kings  Legacy of the Eldric

Book 2 of the Prophecy of the Kings  Dragon Rider

Book 3 of the Prophecy of the Kings  Shadow of the Demon

Or save money and buy the trilogy, all three volumes on one: Prophecy of the Kings  

Read the reviews, synopsis and sample chapters from this epic tale at http://prophecyofthekings.com.

The Prophecy of the Kings is a great read, with good characterisation and a complex plot. Check out the book 1 review on http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/David-Burrows/Legacy-of-the-Eldric.html/. "Solid fantasy and definitely recommended."

Good reading

David Burrows

David Burrows
Author of the Prophecy of the Kings
http://davidburrows.org.uk/
New User
sierra_michaels
0 Kudos

Intimate Encounters by Sierra Michaels

Cali is a graduate student paying her way through school giving sensual massages to strange men at an apartment with several other girls, where she leads a double life and internally struggles with the job she has chosen, the friendships she has made, and the lies she must tell.

At the university Cali is a star student trying to finish her master’s thesis on California archaeology. What the other students and professors must not know is that by night she makes money giving massages with a happy ending to strangers. At first, she truly enjoys working at the apartment, since it brings out the sensual side she lacks as a student. She forms a close friendship with two of the girls and a few of her regular customers, but struggles with the fact that she is doing something illegal, dangerous, and looked down upon in American society.

Intimate Encounters (by Sierra Michaels) is a humorous and occasionally serious account of the inner workings of the sensual massage business and the unique and sometimes pathological characters that work at and visit the apartment, as well as Cali’s life and struggles as a graduate student in doubt about her chosen field and her future.

available at:  http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=BOOK&WRD=intimate+encounters

My website and blog at:  www.sierramichaels.com

Thanks, Sierra

New User
WendyWebb
0 Kudos

The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb

The Tale of Halcyon Crane The Tale of Halcyon Crane 

The Tale of Halcyon Crane is the eerie, gothic story of a woman whose life is upended when a mysterious letter arrives in the morning mail. It regrets to inform her of the death of her mother... but she was told her mother died in a fire 30 years earlier. She soon learns that the whole foundation of her life has been a lie — her mother didn't die all those years ago. Instead, her father abducted her as a child, changed their identities and moved across the country. She travels to her mother's home, a beautiful and remote island in the middle of the Great Lakes, to find answers to what happened all those years ago. She finds secrets, betrayal and some otherworldly twists along the way. 

Halcyon has been selected as an IndieNext Pick, a Midwest Connections Pick, a Great Lakes Great Reads pick, and is a finalist for the Michigan Book Award. 

Reviews: 

"I love a good, spooky ghost story that carries you deep into the darkest night and raises goose bumps and neck hair. First-time novelist Wendy Webb’s book, The Tale of Halcyon Crane, does all those things with the seamless intricacy of a clockmaker and the silky smoothness of a baby's cheek. Webb hits every note just right.
It’s hard to read a story like this and not compare the author to Stephen King, so I'm not going to do much of that, other than to say Webb carries a lot of the same power in her words."  — BlogCritic; Seattle Post Intelligencer

New User
jenlovesbooks
0 Kudos

Re: The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb

I love, love, love this book!  It is wonderfully creepy with a love story and ambiance galore.  I want more from Ms. Webb!

New User
Thart1279
0 Kudos

This was such an engrossing read- from the first page until the very last word I was hooked! One of the best books  I have read this year!!

New User
eme2825
0 Kudos

As a New Yorker, I was not prepared to be as engrossed in this ghost story on the Great Lakes as I was!  The Tale of Halcyon Crane is a haunting page-turner that swept me up and kept me riveted throughout.  I will look forward to Wendy Webb's next book!