Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
0 Kudos

IMMORTALLY ROMAN

[ Edited ]
Immortally Roman, the Korean-Saigon Adventure: From the journals of an Italian-American patriot.

New Book Takes an Inside Look at the Italian Cultural Concept of Power

La Jolla, CA – (October 18, 2006) – Writers, filmmakers have immortalized the Sicilian crime family’s concept of power for decades to a world audience intrigued with Italian culture. Join author J.B. Austin as she takes you inside that fascinating culture and exposes for the first time a different traditional Italian cultural concept of power in her intriguing novel Immortally Roman.

Political, military, intelligence, and social concepts of power secretly practiced by Roman Legion Commanders are passed down from father to son thru a Calabrian family’s tradition of the Black Knight (a family code passed from one generation to another). In Immortally Roman, Marcos Capodante is groomed by his father Rocco to become a powerful player on high-level circles of international power. Following in the illustrious footsteps of his father’s brilliant Intelligence career in WWII, Marcos emerges onto the world theater as a US Navy Pilot towards the end of the Korean War. Under Rocco’s masterful guidance, he begins his own transformation into the extension of his historical contemporaries.

This story was born out of the author’s desire to create an unforgettable American hero – our very own version of Her Majesty’s James Bond. Although this story takes place during the collapse of French Colonial Indochina, the precursor to the Vietnam War, it relates to current events and America’s search to find a solution to world leadership in terms of wanting to be everybody’s friend rather than a responsible leader. Every military conflict we have had since 1945 has trapped us into war, which in each case could have been avoided. This story explains history in laymen’s terms through the fascinating perspective of a father-son intelligence mastermind team.

Full of high intrigue factors along with never before told intelligence stories from WWII, readers will get to view history from a different perspective and become more diligent about discerning the realities of truth from deception through this book. The pure dedication of duty, honor, and family, and the scope of the young man’s aspirations and efforts to avert a war that should not have been will inspire anyone who reads it. This novel takes us deep inside the workings of an Intelligence Master Mind and proves that being young doesn’t mean you are out of The Game.

Be sure to buy a copy of this captivating book at your local bookstore or online at Xlibris.com, Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com and Borders.com today!

About the Author
Jacqueline Bacich Austin is a creator. Classically trained in the theater arts and world traveled with a career spanning theater, film, and television production to business research and development; a far cry from the world of power and ploitics but not out of reach.

Immortally Roman, the Korean-Saigon Adventure: From the journals of an Italian-American patriot.
Publication Date: August 24, 2006
Trade Paperback; $26.99; 566 pages; 1-4134-8821-8; 978-1-413488-21-0
Cloth Hardback; $36.99; 566 pages; 1-4134-8822-6; 978-1-413488-22-7

To request a complimentary paperback review copy, contact the publisher at (888) 795-4274 x. 472. Tearsheets may be sent by regular or electronic mail to Marketing Services. To purchase copies of the book for resale, please fax Xlibris at (610) 915-0294 or call (888) 795-4274 x.876.

Edited by Admin. for formatting only.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:49 AM
MJH
Contributor
MJH
0 Kudos

Author would welcome some feedback

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover (mine can be found at this link:
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnhockley/myhomepage/mywork.html
) or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Contributor
achillxs
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book! Brutal Honesty

[ Edited ]
Thank you for the chance to share my book with you all, My name is Leonard Chivers I hope you enjoy my book.

Does life have you down? Need common sense back in your life?

Brutal Honesty can help you. Brutal Honesty is a collection of short essays that touch on multiple life issues. These are presented in the author's opinion, challenging people who read this work to give second thought to everyday situations, reactions and outcomes. Some of the topics covered are love, family, racism, sex, violence, religion and economy. These writings are delivered in a straight forward, in your face manner. The author has no fear of describing the world and its problems directly and harshly. He also offers what he feels are simple, common sense solutions to the issues that ail teens, family, communities and society. This book is guaranteed to make readers laugh, agree whole-heartedly or cry in outrage.

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Edited by Admin. for formatting and links.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:52 AM
MJH
Contributor
MJH
0 Kudos

Re: Author would welcome some feedback

I thought I would post a short excerpt from my book The Magic Lands and would really appreciate some feedback on it. Thanks for your support :smileyhappy:

It was only an old dream.
Mo was looking at him with a terribly sad, perturbed expression, the animal's tired face regarding him with deep concern.
Jack just remained slumped on the ground where he was. It was all right though, he knew. He had experienced this kind of dream before. It would go away soon and he would be able to stay in the warm haven he had discovered where softness and tranquillity held him close. Now there was nothing to be afraid of.
He waited, yet still the badger watched him silently and doubts began to prey upon him.
No, he told himself. I won‘t go back. I hate it there. I hate it!
“Jack,” the badger urged him gently.
"No, no," he moaned, reaching up and forcing his hands over his ears.
“Jack,“ Mo said firmly, coming in even closer, seeking the boy‘s face.
“Leave me alone. I don’t want this, I don’t want it! I’ve had enough, can’t you see that, I’ve just had enough.“
Mo brushed his cheek with his warm, smooth fur. "Be still, be still," the badger said with tenderness, "everything will be all right."
Very slowly, despite his efforts to hold onto the sanctuary he believed he had found within his dreams, his thoughts became to take shape.
“There is no refuge for you in dreams,“ the badger uttered softly, “I know it’s hard but you have to understand that we cannot hide from our own existence. You cannot run from yourself. Whatever choices we are offered must be met with our minds our own. Now stand up and let us face what will come.”
Realising that the dream was past and there was no refuge to be found there, Jack cupped his face in his hands. “Why does it have to be like this?”
Mo regarded him with a steady gaze. “Because a greater will than yours or mine sees all that must come, all that has been. It is a choice. No-one can be forced. Each must choose their own path. It is a personal test of our character.”
Very hesitantly Jack looked into the dark eyes of the animal. “But I always fail.“
“No,” said Mo definitely, “mistakes are not failure. No-one really fails until they give up their soul at the very last breath of their life. And that will not be you, Jack. You will stand.”
And hearing this, the boy made a half-hearted effort to do just that. He pulled himself up onto his knees and then made a tentative attempt to get up onto his feet. “Who am I?” he asked in a wavering voice.
Mo looked at Jack for a long moment. “My kin,” he breathed, “my brother.” The badger pushed himself against the boy’s side for support. “And we will stand together.”
Contributor
COA_BookclubP
0 Kudos

From what I read it sounds like a pretty great book! I caught a few typos which do sometimes throw the reader off for a moment but other than that, it had a very strong message to it. I can only imagine that there were other great messages to back that one up as well. I think you have a unique style and you should do well for yourself with this one.
MJH
Contributor
MJH
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've noticed those typos myself, so apologies. And thanks for the positive feedback. My intention was to have a moral centre to the story so I'm pleased you mentioned that. But most of all I want it to be a fast moving adventure. Admittedly, it is dark at times though. Someone who read it has posted a nice review on Amazon US and that gives a good impression of what the book is really like. Now all I need is a few more people to read it and review it :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
skipster56
0 Kudos

I like your cover as it shows one could use their imagination in the read. As far as a synopsis, I wouldn't go there. A synopsis of only for a publisher to see where the story is going and how it ends. Putting a synopsis out there would only hurt the sales, as people could arrive at the ending in a fairly short time. You may have mixed up the term which should be the " prologue"
View the new web page for Dangerous Love at www.skipstover.com
MJH
Contributor
MJH
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I think there must have been some confusion though. It really is the synopsis, as it reads on the back of the book.
The two short excerpts that I've posted from the book appear about a third into the story (first one) and around half way though (the second one). They are just to give a general idea of the style and tone of the writing. Sorry it wasn't clear.
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

That actually was all pretty cool. The cover art definitely captured my attention and the synopsis raised my curiosity and made me want to find out what happens. In my opinion, you accomplished your goal with that. That is a book a would pick up.
Reader 4
greatgrannyc
0 Kudos

MJH wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I think there must have been some confusion though. It really is the synopsis, as it reads on the back of the book.
The two short excerpts that I've posted from the book appear about a third into the story (first one) and around half way though (the second one). They are just to give a general idea of the style and tone of the writing. Sorry it wasn't clear.

The quote I read has several principles that I have been trying to explain to a grandchild. Would this book be suitable for a child 11-12 years old?
As to the cover -- It caught my eye and my interest, but it is really too busy for my taste. With a cover like this, I read the publishers blurbs on the back and often the first page or two to see if the author's style will hold my interest or if the writing is too pedestrian to be endured.
Carrie H.