Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica

Read My Book!

[ Edited ]
Calling All Authors!

Anyone who thinks that writing a book is easy has obviously never actually finished one. After months -- or years -- of labor, when you’re looking at the final published product, your work is still only half done. Your next mountain to conquer: getting the word out.

Are you a published author? Would you like to get the word out about your book?

This is your place to post a message, letting your fellow book club participants know about your work.
  • Simply Reply to this message, and change the Subject line to “(Your Book Title) by (Your Name).”

• Include a short description of your book, a bit about yourself, and your Web site* if you have one. If BN.com sells your book, please copy and paste the URL to your product page at the end of the message.

• Don’t forget to check out your fellow authors while you’re here!
And to all the book lovers out there, be sure to have a look at these new authors. There’s nothing like the thrill of discovering a new voice among the millions!

Best of Luck,
Jessica

(*A note about linking to outside Web sites: Our general policy on linking to outside Web sites is that if they link to any booksellers, please make sure that BN.com is one of them. We do reserve the right to review these sites and edit any links you may post. Thanks!)

Message Edited by Jessica on 04-23-2008 11:44 AM
Author
Caridad_Pineiro
0 Kudos

Re: BLOOD CALLS, the next installment in THE CALLING Vampire Novels

[ Edited ]
I'm so excited that BLOOD CALLS will be arriving in May. For those of you who are fans of THE CALLING, this story features Diego Rivera, a former Spanish Lord who was turned into a vampire during the Spanish Inquisition. Diego has had a long and sometimes lonely life . . . until he meets Ramona Escobar.

I'm also pleased to let you know that THE CALLING will continue with another 3 novels in 2008/9. If you haven't had a chance to pick up one of the books in the series, don't worry. Each book stands alone and hopefully, you will soon be sucked into the world of THE CALLING and eager to learn more about all the other characters.

For more information on THE CALLING, you can visit www.thecallingvampirenovels.com..

In the meantime, here's some early reviews for BLOOD CALLS, available in May 2007 from Silhouette Nocturne.

5 Stars from Cataromance: “BLOOD CALLS is an astounding mix of passionate emotions with the paranormal, resulting in a mesmerizing story of eternal love. . .The romance between Diego and Ramona is beautifully expressed, where their every thought and deed are significant in the outcome of their relationship. With the threat of danger escalating throughout the story, there is no way to put this book down until the final word is read. A gripping and satisfying story, BLOOD CALLS will pull readers into this alluring vampire world.”

5 Angels from Fallen Angel Reviews: “Having read Death Calls, Devotion Calls, and Blood Calls one after the other, I am impressed with how original each book is even though they share characters at times. Caridad Piñeiro has done a wonderful job, once again, developing believable characters in believable circumstances with unbelievable characteristics. She has allowed the reader to suspend belief and delve into her world time and time again only to see new nuances each time they visit. I am hooked. Thank you for hours of amazing reading.”

5 Stars from HUNTRESS REVIEWS — Reviewed by Detra Fitch : Author Caridad Piñeiro pumps so much life into all her characters that I almost believe they are real. Special Agent Diana Reyes, and her vampire lover, Ryder, are secondary characters in this Nocturne episode. (If you have not read their story, titled DEATH CALLS, you will still have no trouble with this book. Other secondary characters had their story told in previous titles too.) The main characters of this story, Diego and Ramona, are a perfect match for each other. I never felt the need to hit one of them on their head because of any sort of stupidity. They are both intelligent and realistic people, while also cautious when it comes to their hearts. Creating characters that I can actually care for is a special talent in authors, and therefore, I cannot recommend this title highly enough.

4 stars, Just Erotic Romance Reviews: “In addition to being an imaginative writer, Ms. Pineiro is a daring one as well. She has created an unusual heroine in Ramona by giving her artistic passion and an ailing body that cannot keep up with her larger than life goals. Diego is a very complex character to like. The constant battle between his human and vampire self is intriguing to read. . . There is a depth in every character within this dark, steamy world struggling to keep a balance between humanity and the blood craving clan. Although it has loads of action and beautifully written scenarios, the storyline doesn’t overload the senses while the reader is engrossed deeply in imagining everything.”

Alternative Worlds: “The vampire romance novels of Caridad Pineiro’s “The Calling” Series are tastefully erotic, very action oriented and character driven. In BLOOD CALLS, number six in the series, the protagonists are afraid to love for very different reasons. Ramona, knowing time is short, is determined to live life to the fullest and meet the goal of seeing her mother cared for in a nursing home for the for the rest of her natural life. Readers will like Ramona but adore Diego whose mixed emotions make him a believable character.”

See all books by Caridad Pineiro.

Edited by Admin. for formatting only.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:32 AM
Caridad Pineiro
STRONGER THAN SIN Nov 2010
AZTEC GOLD Jan 2011
Visit www.caridad.com for additional information
New User
70x7book
0 Kudos

'SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN' by Salvatore Sapienza

[ Edited ]
Hi, everybody,

My name is Salvatore Sapienza, and I am the author of the new gay novel, Seventy Times Seven (Harrington Park Press). It is loosely based on my experiences as a religious brother in the Catholic Church.

The novel was recently recommended by DAN SAVAGE in his 'Savage Love' column and has received glowing reviews in 'Windy City Times,' 'Bay Area Reporter,' and 'In L.A. Magazine.' See my website for my reviews: http://www.70x7book.com

Author Richard Andreoli wrote: "Very few recent books excite me as much as Seventy Times Seven. It's A GREAT STORY about a Catholic brother, on the eve of taking his final vows, who has to decide between his secular gay life versus his religious life (or whether or not the two can be joined). This book takes place in the early 1990s and Sapienza paints that period by using numerous pop culture references to ground the story: Madonna's Sex book, Sinead O'Conner ripping the Pope's photo on Saturday Night Live, rumors about George Michael, etc. The book is an AMAZING JOURNEY that also does a great job of exploring the conflict between faith and feelings, how one can devote himself solely to his religion, and other details in a way that non-Catholics could understand."

Seventy Times Seven

Edited by Admin for formatting only.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:34 AM
Frequent Contributor
Cafesin
0 Kudos

REVERB: Fast, Edgy Fiction by J. Cafesin

Reverb is a love story, a modern fairytale; a psychological thriller paced with romantic suspense. It chronicles the emotional evolution of a modern man- from solipsist to integrated awareness- and the journey that led him to his awakening. Reverb satisfies most women's deepest desire: for men to be more attentive, and more connected outside of themselves.

Check it out:

www.jcafesin.com

(Felt no need to post the many rave reviews because the one that counts is yours.)
New User
davmandy
0 Kudos

An Invitation to Kagura by David Petersen

[ Edited ]
Hi and thanks so much for the opportunity to introduce my latest, "An Invitation to Kagura: Hidden Gem of the Traditional Japanese Performing Arts"

Official blurb: Richly illustrated, and based largely on sources inaccessible to the non-Japanese speaker, this book provides a rare glimpse into kagura (Shinto theater), a performance style with roots predating even noh drama. Coverage includes the history of the art; the kagura stage; schools of performance; synopses of plays and ceremonies; movement and choreography; kagura costumes; masks and mask-making; implements, decorations and special effects; the music of kagura; and related folk arts. There are also additional sections with comparative materials on noh and kabuki. A new world of theater awaits...

About the author: David Petersen has a B.Sc. in psychology, a Ph.D. in theater studies, and a Level I on the national Japanese proficiency test. He lived in Japan for more than a decade, including four years in Hiroshima. He works as a translator, and his articles on Kagura have been featured in magazines both in Japan and abroad.

An Invitation to Kagura

Message Edited by davmandy on 04-21-200705:06 PM

New User
davmandy
0 Kudos

Reading English News on the Internet by David Petersen

[ Edited ]
Hi

Thanks for your interest in my new ESL textbook.

Ideal for the intermediate to advanced ESL classroom, this guide helps students make sense of "media English" as found online, in newspapers, and in magazines.

Nearly 200 reference entries:
- Connectors ["in the event of", "provided that", "on the other hand"]
- Phrasal verbs ["to brush aside", "to pull out of", "to put into"]
- Idiomatic verb-phrases ["to mark a new chapter in", "to sink in"]
- Everyday expressions ["an eyesore", "cause for alarm", "off the cuff"]

Mini-quizzes after each section, and a comprehensive final exam

Plus practice tips on reading "media English":
- Computer-related vocabulary
- Popular English-language news, sports, and finance websites
- Practice with registration forms
- Overview of news article structure
- Features of headlines (with suggestions for reading strategies)
- Overview of financial websites (key vocabulary, elements of financial
advice, understanding financial predictions)
- The basics of sports websites (key vocabulary, writing style, elements
of sports articles and features)

English online is difficult. Let this easy-to-use guide help boost your learning curve.

About the author:
David Petersen graduated from the University of Calgary with a B.Sc. in psychology. After acquiring a TESL certificate, he spent nearly 10 years teaching English in Japan, Hungary, and South Korea. He obtained a Ph.D. from the University of Malta in 2003, and then returned to Japan to earn a Level I on the national Japanese proficiency test. He currently works as a writer and freelance translator.

Reading English News on the Internet

Message Edited by davmandy on 04-21-200705:48 PM

New User
Robert4231
0 Kudos

New book about the spiritual meaning of your life challenges

[ Edited ]
If the moderators will kindly permit a new book announcement, I would like to tell people about a spirituality book I’ve written and recently published that may be of interest. The book is available at www.barnesandnoble.com and through Barnes and Noble stores throughout the country.

Courageous Souls: Do We Plan Our Life Challenges Before Birth? explores the premise that we are all eternal souls who plan our lives, including our greatest challenges, before we’re born for purposes of spiritual growth.

The book contains ten stories of people who planned physical illness, having handicapped children, deafness, blindness, drug addiction, alcoholism, losing a loved one, and severe accidents.

The information about their pre-birth plans was obtained by four very gifted mediums and channels, including one who has the ability both to see and to hear the conversations we have with one another before we’re born. The book therefore contains the actual conversations people had with their future parents, children, spouses, friends, and other loved ones when they planned these challenges.

As readers come to understand that they themselves planned many of their challenges, suffering that once seemed purposeless becomes imbued with deep meaning. Wisdom may be acquired in a more conscious manner; feelings of anger, guilt, blame, and victimization are replaced by acceptance, forgiveness, gratitude, and peace.

Kind regards,
Robert Schwartz
author, Courageous Souls: Do We Plan Our Life Challenges Before Birth?

Edited by Admin. for formatting & links.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:39 AM
Author
Caridad_Pineiro
0 Kudos

Check out Caridad Pineiro at Romance Novel Television

[ Edited ]
Exciting news! Part 2 of my interview is up at Romance Novel Television. You can click on this link to watch the video.

Romance Novel TV has been so supportive and it's great that they've chosen to release this interview to coincide with my May release, BLOOD CALLS from Silhouette Nocturne. Here's a little blurb for you about BLOOD CALLS, number 6 in THE CALLING Vampire Novel series.

Her blood called to him, but for vampire Diego Rivera, Ramona Escobar's sensuality proved even more potent. He had to resist-for there could be no such thing as love for him. Five centuries ago Diego had vowed never to turn another with the bite of the undead. And though Diego knew the dark underworld of New York was no place for a human, his unslaked desire commanded that Ramona be his for one night.

But when the artist's life was threatened by a reclusive millionaire who had used Ramona's skills to build a forgery ring, Diego needed to unleash his inner demon to save her. Then he was faced with a choice-lose the woman he loved or turn her with a vampire's kiss.

REVIEWS:

5 Angels from Fallen Angel Reviews: “Having read Death Calls, Devotion Calls, and Blood Calls one after the other, I am impressed with how original each book is even though they share characters at times. Caridad Piñeiro has done a wonderful job, once again, developing believable characters in believable circumstances with unbelievable characteristics. She has allowed the reader to suspend belief and delve into her world time and time again only to see new nuances each time they visit. I am hooked. Thank you for hours of amazing reading.”

5 Stars from HUNTRESS REVIEWS -- Reviewed by Detra Fitch : Author Caridad Piñeiro pumps so much life into all her characters that I almost believe they are real. Special Agent Diana Reyes, and her vampire lover, Ryder, are secondary characters in this Nocturne episode. (If you have not read their story, titled DEATH CALLS, you will still have no trouble with this book. Other secondary characters had their story told in previous titles too.) The main characters of this story, Diego and Ramona, are a perfect match for each other. I never felt the need to hit one of them on their head because of any sort of stupidity. They are both intelligent and realistic people, while also cautious when it comes to their hearts. Creating characters that I can actually care for is a special talent in authors, and therefore, I cannot recommend this title highly enough.

4 stars, Just Erotic Romance Reviews: “In addition to being an imaginative writer, Ms. Pineiro is a daring one as well. She has created an unusual heroine in Ramona by giving her artistic passion and an ailing body that cannot keep up with her larger than life goals. Diego is a very complex character to like. The constant battle between his human and vampire self is intriguing to read. . . There is a depth in every character within this dark, steamy world struggling to keep a balance between humanity and the blood craving clan. Although it has loads of action and beautifully written scenarios, the storyline doesn’t overload the senses while the reader is engrossed deeply in imagining everything.”

Alternative Worlds: “The vampire romance novels of Caridad Pineiro’s “The Calling” Series are tastefully erotic, very action oriented and character driven. In BLOOD CALLS, number six in the series, the protagonists are afraid to love for very different reasons. Ramona, knowing time is short, is determined to live life to the fullest and meet the goal of seeing her mother cared for in a nursing home for the for the rest of her natural life. Readers will like Ramona but adore Diego whose mixed emotions make him a believable character.”

5 Stars from SingleTitles: “BLOOD CALLS is an astounding mix of passionate emotions with the paranormal, resulting in a mesmerizing story of eternal love. . .The romance between Diego and Ramona is beautifully expressed, where their every thought and deed are significant in the outcome of their relationship. With the threat of danger escalating throughout the story, there is no way to put this book down until the final word is read. A gripping and satisfying story, BLOOD CALLS will pull readers into this alluring vampire world.”

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:43 AM
Caridad Pineiro
STRONGER THAN SIN Nov 2010
AZTEC GOLD Jan 2011
Visit www.caridad.com for additional information
SLD
Contributor
SLD
0 Kudos

Re: Read My Book! "Three journeys"

[ Edited ]
Three Journeys, written by Stew Davis (pen name David Stuart).

Three Journeys is the story about three graduating engineers and the diverse and sometimes troubling paths they take during a turbulent decade. The Sixties were a trying and challenging episode for both the country and the three youths. The primary subjects are real, but names have been changed and some parts fictionalized to provide emphasis to the events described. The three journeys intertwine and overlap as we progress with the three subjects--one lives out his dream of becoming a fighter pilot; the second becomes lost during those confusing times to become an artist, experiencing the Haight-Ashbury counter-culture. The third, after mastering the turbulence of an unstable aerospace industry, participates in the eventual triumph of the decade--landing the first men on the moon.

The book is classified as historical fiction, but most events are factual and all events described during the space race are authentic.

The author graduated from the University of Texas with a degree in aeronautical engineering and with a U.S. Air Force commission through the ROTC Program. After his Air Force tour of duty, he entered the West Coast aerospace industry in the early sixties, ultimately joining NASA at the Manned Spacecraft Center near Houston, Texas, where he participated in the Space Program for the next twenty-five years. Stew is married with two children.

The book can be purchased through Barnes & Noble.com

Author's web site:
http://www.publishedauthors.net/davestuart

Enjoy!

Edited by Admin for formatting only.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-06-2007 10:46 AM
New User
mespo100
0 Kudos

Locked In - a medical thiller

[ Edited ]
Dr. John Armstrong, a respected Tampa radiologist, lives a priviledged life built on a crumbling foundation. Cal Burton, his college roomate, is Tampa's premeir malpractice attorney. The two men form a group to defraud insurance companies in medical malpractice cases. Initially their scheme is successful but greed pushed them too far.

Unbeknowst to Armstrong, the group begins to use their patients as pawns in their malpracitce game. Armstrong discovers the plot and attempts to break free. Before he can, the group sets him up for one final case. His battle to free himself without losing it all lead to thrilling climax.

Locked In is a must read that will keep you turning the pages. Dr. Esposito describes a shocking look at the practice of medicine. His characters and imagery transports the reader beyond the pages into the terrifying world of medicine gone awry.

Hope you enjoy it.

Mike Esposito

visit me at www.mikeespositomd.com

Locked In

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-14-2007 02:50 PM