Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
DBinSJ

Review Copies Offer

If an author wants to offer free review copies of a book (in my case, non-fiction) to readers who may be interested in posting reviews, is it considered appropriate to make such an offer here, in this forum?

Any guidance with regard to "best practices" would be appreciated.

(I tried searching the forum for information and asked a B&N rep but couldn't come up with anything.)

New User
Olif
0 Kudos

Review Copies Offer

Our publication will accept all hard copies of non fiction book titles

Please send all materials to:

Accessibly Live Off-Line

Linear Cycle Productions

Box 2608

North Hills, CA 91393-2608

Att: Manny Pandanceski-Book Editor

Only hard copies of books will be accepted. If a sourse desires to send an "e-book", an e-book electronic device must be included with the e-book embedded within the e-book reader.

For more information, send an inquiry to 063102(at)gmail.com, or at the above mailing address.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Review Copies Offer

Hmm. Send me a device, and I'll review your book too! Wouldn't it be easier to specify a standard ebook format? 

Scribe
Froide

[ Edited ]

DBinSJ wrote:

If an author wants to offer free review copies of a book (in my case, non-fiction) to readers who may be interested in posting reviews, is it considered appropriate to make such an offer here, in this forum?

Any guidance with regard to "best practices" would be appreciated.

(I tried searching the forum for information and asked a B&N rep but couldn't come up with anything.)

Congratulations on finishing your book, and for making the wise move to reach out to potential reviewers at BN.

As I'm sure you're aware, much has been written about best practices and pitfalls associated with offering review copies, from the author's, the publisher's, and the reviewer's perspectives.  Most such articles (and the associated comments) offer practical tips and solutions. A worthwhile example is Chris Meadows' TeleRead article, "Sending e-books as review copies" (Oct. 2, 2011).

Since BN's NOOK Forums lack an infrastructure for processing review copies (as far as I know), I think you made the right move to post here. As someone who's reviewed many books, for business and pleasure, I offer several suggestions based on my experience and observations. 

• Use this forum (and similar ones at other sites where readers congregate) to announce your review offer.
  • Send a private email asking JeremyCesarec, who publishes The NOOK Blog, to publish your review offer. Here's the link to his profile:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/320137
  • Be sure the announcement points the reader to the fulfillment site(s) mutually agreed upon by your publisher and you.
  • Three fulfillment sites which serve broad audiences, and from which I've painlessly received review copies are:
    1. Goodreads Giveaways (which includes a First Reads section)
    2. LibraryThing Early Reviewers (which I particularly like, because members can specify their preferred review copy formats)
    3. Smashwords (which offers its own review copies, as well as fulfills some review copy orders initiated at Goodreads and LibraryThing)
      These three sites have well-developed infrastructures in place for attracting and selecting reviewers, limiting the numbers of review copies sent, maintaining reviewers' contact/delivery information, and tracking posted reviews.
  • I know this is a preliminary query, but when you post a review offer in earnest, be sure to mention your book's title/subject and provide a link to the author's (i.e., your) website to give potential reviewers the information needed to accept/pass on your review offer.
  • Of course - in the vein of the publication whose rep, Olin, posted above - you may supplement the giveaway process with a carefully cultivated go-list of reviewers..  

Good luck!

P.S. Does "SJ" stand for "South Jersey"?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
New User
DBinSJ
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for all the excellent information, which I am going to print out and read through carefully.

The reason I did not include in my original post the title of and links to my book is that I didn't know whether that would have been considered acceptable practice here. The title is The Newest Story of O: How to Legally Pay 0% Interest on the Money You Owe & Eliminate Your Debt in a Fraction of the Time -- Secrets to Making the Credit System Work in Your Favor.

Information is available through the following two immodestly named links: www.BestCreditBook.com and www.BestCreditEbook.com (access to the first chapter is available through this second link). The book is available through the Barnes & Noble website, via this link.

This is not a "just published" book but it is still relatively new and I am working on promotion.

Thanks again for all the excellent information!

P.S. In response to your question, SJ in this case stands for San Jose (California).