Contributor
NookGirlPA
0 Kudos

Reviews

When deciding whether to purchase and read an ebook for my Nook, I always read the reviews that are posted by others who have already read the ebook.  I think they have alot of insight since they are "normal" people and they are honest about their reviews.  Well I have a gripe about one special reviewer who gets on my last nerve !  She recites the entire book synopsis in her review and it's nothing new !  She goes on and on about exactly what the book is about.  Well I really don't need to know WHAT the book is about, I can READ that information too.  What I need to know is what the reviewer THOUGHT of the book !  And she must do nothing but read 24/7 all day long because she has reviewed every book.  When I see her name as the reviewer, I refuse to read the loooooooooooooong boring review.  I'm not sure if I am permitted to say what her B&N name is or not, but it's Harstan,,,Harriet something.  Harriet, please, please, take a break from reviewing the books ! 

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Re: Reviews

Ok now you have piqued my curiosity. What are some books she has reviewed?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957

Re: Harriet Klausner

[ Edited ]

Ah, yes, the notorious Harriet Klausner. She claims that she's a speed-reader and can read a number of novels in a day, then she writes glowing reviews of all of them. Almost all of her reviews are 5-star, and for her a bad review is 4-star. She got started at Amazon, where she became quite controversial (and their #1 reviewer, with over 20,000 books reviewed). Now she's started dumping her reviews onto B&N.

Look her up on Wikipedia. Yes, she's notorious enough to have a Wikipedia page dedicated to her.

In the meantime, just ignore her reviews. There are some other reviewers here who only give glowing 5-star reviews, too, so I ignore them as well.

kathylcsw: here's a link to Harriet's profile page on B&N. She currently has over 20,000 reviews here, too. http://my.barnesandnoble.com/harstan-profile/

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

The infamous Harriet Klausner perhaps?   If it is, that is just kind of the mascot of reviewers.  Some says she isn't real and many say she cannot possibly read all the books she reviews.

In any case, I agree that it would be nice if B&N had more reviews!  I sometimes go to goodreads to check reviews there because there aren't any or enough on a particular book.

I shouldn't complain.  I've only posted a few reviews to B&N myself!

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
Contributor
NookGirlPA
0 Kudos

Re: Harriet Klausner

I cannot believe you knew exactly who I was talking about ! I will definitely be reading her Wikipedia page.  Thanks for letting Kathylcsw know who she is, because I could not for the life of me think of a particular book that she reviewed. 

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Harriet Klausner is legit.  I read an article in TIME magazine about her and when she was in elementary school, she shocked her teacher by handing in a 3 1/2 hour reading comprehension test in just one hour.  Harriet reads 4-6 books a day.  The article claims that Harriet never gets paid for any of her reviews.  She's for real!

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw

But could they really be considered reveiws? It looks like the bulk of it is simply a synopsis of the plot with 1 line being devoted to actually saying what she thought about the book.

Where do you find the time to read that much even if you are a speed reader? Doesn't she have a day job?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: negative reviews

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Ah, yes, the notorious Harriet Klausner. She claims that she's a speed-reader and can read a number of novels in a day, then she writes glowing reviews of all of them. Almost all of her reviews are 5-star, and for her a bad review is 4-star. She got started at Amazon, where she became quite controversial (and their #1 reviewer, with over 20,000 books reviewed). Now she's started dumping her reviews onto B&N.

Look her up on Wikipedia. Yes, she's notorious enough to have a Wikipedia page dedicated to her.

In the meantime, just ignore her reviews. There are some other reviewers here who only give glowing 5-star reviews, too, so I ignore them as well.

kathylcsw: here's a link to Harriet's profile page on B&N. She currently has over 20,000 reviews here, too. http://my.barnesandnoble.com/harstan-profile/

Well you probably wouldn't read my reviews either, but I never rate a book review less than a three because if I hate the novel I'll quit reading it and won't review something I think is terrible. Who am I to say that my opinion isn't just that and in someone else's hands they might love it, besides I leave the negative reviews to the "experts".

Life's too short to read a bad book.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: Harriet's glowing reviews

dhaupt wrote:

I never rate a book review less than a three because if I hate the novel I'll quit reading it and won't review something I think is terrible.

Ah, but do you manage to read 8 to 10 books that you would give 5 stars to every day? I probably give 5 stars to about one out of 10, or even fewer, of the books I read. I'd have to be reading about 100 books a day to keep up with Harriet's number of 5-star reads.

Yeah, on the really bad ones I wouldn't read all of the book (and I don't), but you can number me among the people who think that Harriet is a fraud. She's either not reading all of those books, or she's giving them 5 stars whether they deserve it or not, or both. My opinion, of course.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Harriet's glowing reviews

Doug_Pardee wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I never rate a book review less than a three because if I hate the novel I'll quit reading it and won't review something I think is terrible.

Ah, but do you manage to read 8 to 10 books that you would give 5 stars to every day? I probably give 5 stars to about one out of 10, or even fewer, of the books I read. I'd have to be reading about 100 books a day to keep up with Harriet's number of 5-star reads.

Yeah, on the really bad ones I wouldn't read all of the book (and I don't), but you can number me among the people who think that Harriet is a fraud. She's either not reading all of those books, or she's giving them 5 stars whether they deserve it or not, or both. My opinion, of course.

I kind of have to agree. Read a couple of the reviews, rather flat for something one would give 5 stars. Smacks of a publisher plant to me.