Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ

Rosetta Stone

I know Barnes and Noble carries Rosetta Stone but I want to know how effective it is?  For anyone who has purchased Rosetta Stone, does it really make you read, speak, and comprehend a foreign language as opposed to studying a foreign language in school?  The commercial states that you will learn quickly.  Is this so?  I have seen the price for the Rosetta Stone and it is expensive, but if it really does what it claims to do, the expense would be well worth it. 

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Rosetta Stone

I can't speak for Rosetta Stone because I've not tried one of their courses.

But my experience with language programs that promise you'll be speaking a foreign language in 10 minutes or less is because in the first 10 minutes, you learn to say "Hello, my name is."

I guess that counts as speaking in a foreign language within 10 minutes. :smileysurprised:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
meg820
0 Kudos

I've purchased both the German and Spanish version and I would say they work really well. I never completed the series, but I purchased the Spanish to brush up for Spanish speaking only patients when they came into the doctors office. I purchased the German one because I moved to Germany and in one disc I have enough knowledge that I can understand and read basic German. No, you're not going to learn overnight, but I think they are definitely worth it, but you need to spend the time using the program at least 3-4 times a week which was the most challenging thing.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Well, as the saying goes:  "Practice makes perfect." 

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's a couple of things I found here for Spanish. The learning course is 99-cents, the Living document is free.

The Spanish Language Speed Learning Course

The Living Method for Learning how to Think in Spanish

Hope this comes through all right, I've never added product before. :smileysurprised:

Edit -- Rats, the image for the second one doesn't want to display. :smileymad:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat, don't feel bad.  Sometimes there are computer glitches and pictures will not show up.  That situation happens all the time. :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
AlmH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Seriously Rosetta Stone is AWESOME!!!!  It's so good if I'm not mistaken there's a money back guarantee.... They use picture and word association and then they even have a voice modulator where you speak into the computer to perfect the dialect of the language.... Get the free sample and check it out for yourself... AWESOME!!!!!

btw. Rosetta Stone doesn't promise you'll be speaking the language in 10 mins... more like 6 months to a year depending on your commitment. I had the pleasure of going to a live demostration and I would say 80% of the people there were impressed enough to buy a copy on the spot.

eBooks by Alm Hlgh

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&ATH=Alm+Hlgh
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ

AlmH, your review of Rosetta Stone is impressive.