Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
inkblam

Saddest Deaths

I was browsing youtube yesterday and came across a top ten list of the saddest video game deaths. I figured, hey why not do that for books.This page is for posting the most moving, emotional, and heart-rending deaths of heroic characters from your favorite book.

I'll start off by posting this one:

Uncle Tom's Cabin: the death of Eva, daughter of St. Clare. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Saddest Deaths

This is a great idea.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Old Yeller

Sydney Carton in A Tale of Two Cities

Nancy in Oliver Twist

Adaon or Ellidyr in The Black Cauldron

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

The Little Match Girl. My eyes are tearing up just writing this.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Ruby Stokes in A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons. Literally made me cry for days.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Beth March in Little Women.

Romeo and Juliet in Romeo & Juliet.

Prince Rhun and Coll Collfrewer in The High King (last book of the Chronicles of Prydain series)

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Not exactly a hero from one of my favorite books, but I was saddened to read about this, even though it's an old item:

http://www.worcesterwired.com/2011/05/29/ben-franklin-bookstore-closed-by-fire/

I'd visited that shop, and always meant to hit it again. They had some really great stuff in there.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

I really don't want to spoil it, but if anyone has read Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, you'll know what I'm talking about.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am wondering who's read A Storm of Swords and will ruin season 3 of HBO's Game of Thrones for everybody. You know, because ______ and ______ die.

(I won't because a certain popular sci-fi podcast host blurted out who died in Firefly the day before I went to see it.)

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I am wondering who's read A Storm of Swords and will ruin season 3 of HBO's Game of Thrones for everybody. You know, because ______ and ______ die.

(I won't because a certain popular sci-fi podcast host blurted out who died in Firefly the day before I went to see it.)

Thanks, and thanks for reminding me that I shouldn't read this thread. I hate being spoiled on books and shows.