Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
sharonRNNJ
0 Kudos

Serialization of chapters as nook books

Anyone out there in the Nookverse a bit annoyed by the trend to release chapters as serialized nook books? I may be a bit late to the party but I am noticing this as an increasing trend, at least among romance/Romantica authors and their e-publishers. I would be happy if they'd abondon this trend and just publish the entire book in one e-book volume.
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Re: Serialization of chapters as nook books

I've actually not noticed this yet. I don't tend to buy a lot of romance books, and the ones I have bought were whole books. I have noticed a lot of novellas or half books in a series (book 1.5, etc), but they are full complete books. I do agree it would be annoying. Does the book description warn you in advance that you are only purchasing a few chapters at a time? Is this maybe just a trend in the romance genre or self-published books? I did buy a knitting ebook (not through B&N), but the way that worked wasyou paid for the full book and  the designer/author released new patterns every couple of months. She then sent you the download link for the new edition when she updated it with the new patterns. In that case I really got my money's worth since it was originally only supposed be have 9 patterns and the book when finished was double that.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

I ran into that, not just romance books, now I always look in the over view to see how much space they are, It makes an expensive book when each chapter is $1 or $2

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

[ Edited ]

John Scalzi's latest book is being serialized this way. I think it is .99 per week, 13 chapters. He is SF or Sci fantasy. Sort of a blast from the past as this was once common in magazines and newspapers.

I kind of have mixed feelings. I applaud any evidence of creativity and flexibility in e book marketing. On the other hand it is still a $13.00  e book. 9.99 is my max for an e book and 7.99 or less what I consider an attractive price.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

John Scalzi's latest book is being serialized this way. I think it is .99 per week, 13 chapters. He is SF or Sci fantasy. Sort of a blast from the past as this was once common in magazines and newspapers.

I kind of have mixed feelings. I applaud any evidence of creativity and flexibility in e book marketing. On the other hand it is still a $13.00  e book. 9.99 iss my max for an e book and 7.99 or less what I consider an attractive price.

I saw that as well.  If it were serialized as part of a magazine or in a bundle with other parts of books (like what Baen does) I could maybe do it, but not as a stand alone.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I do a lot of searching of deals and free books and have noticed this trend.

It's annoying, to put it mildly.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Best way to make it stop is to try and get as many people as you can to not buy the serialized book.

Publishers and authors are looking to make money, a new HC books eBook version is generally around 14$.  So serialized books that total to around that make some sense for some genres.  Romantica not being one of them.

However, Romantica is among the fastest selling genres.  If you want an easy way to get published write it.  You may not become a billionaire like EL Jones, but you'll not have a hard time getting a publisher to pick your work up.  This is because the demand is just crazy for that sort of fiction.  Which means the publishers have a lot of power in pricing.

Showing that you, and many others, aren't willing to pay for dribbles will change how the books are distributed. 

That said you have an uphill battle because there are a large number of people who don't care and will just buy buy buy.

I'd be interested to know if the serialized ebooks 'merge' to become one ebook.  I could almost accept the price if that was the case.  If they remain two totally unique titles on my Nook I'd object just on the grounds of digital waste. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Well, people can't delay gratification.

I was reading an article about a company that makes free games where you can buy stuff.

Now, one might think buying purple cows for real money is a bit strange.

However, this company's CEO said their biggest money maker was 'speed ups'. Where they simply told people stuff like

5 minutes for your Farm's Extension to build. Pay 27 purple mushrooms (equivalent to 50 cents) to not wait 5 minutes.

And people paid for that.

Really smart authors would do this with books.

They'd write a book and the 2nd part is supposed to be released in 1 year.

Pay $25 and you can read it now.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

A smart author who is also a good writer, or a writer of something in demand.  Otherwise they are unlikely to be very successful in that marketing scheme. 

I have to say I'm also opposed to serialization on the grounds that it hurts the story.  The author is forced in to a very linear way of writing their book regardless of time jumps within the novel they must write from page one to page x.  Once they have released pages 1 to 'y' they can't go back and edit them even if in writing pages 'y' to 'z' they realize that events earlier in the book should have been made clearer.  Or that those events should happen later.

I'd rather a longer wait for a more polished and finely crafted novel than a short wait for small bits that make up what could potentially be a book that isn't as good as it could have been. 

Though I realize that's not a popular opinion with the masses of today where they want it yesterday and they want it cheap. 

Funny how that seems to be a reoccuring thread in a few discussions here, from general tablet quality, to Nook specifics, and now books themselves. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Contributor
Logician
0 Kudos

You're assuming it would be written serially, as well being released serially. That may not be the case.