Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Show off your My B&N profile!

It's been a couple days now since we've added My B&N to the Book Clubs experience.  While people are still getting used to these profiles and learning how to set them up, I thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread here where people can announce that they've got their My B&N set up with their favorite books and movies and music and maybe made some lists, and are ready to show them off! 

Here's mine:   http://my.barnesandnoble.com/Jon_B-profile

You can, of course, also see someone's profile by clicking on "Go To My B&N" either below their name on one of their posts, or on the button in their profile.. but we're all in different stages of getting things set up.  So post in this thread if you've got yours decked out with your favorites and you're ready to show the world!

And remember, if you need some help with the technical aspects of all this, please don't hesitate to check out and post on our Help board. 

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

Mine's pretty much done with exception of favorite BN Reviews and such (can't get an "add to favorites" link to come up there, yet). :smileyhappy:

Jon_B wrote:

It's been a couple days now since we've added My B&N to the Book Clubs experience.  While people are still getting used to these profiles and learning how to set them up, I thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread here where people can announce that they've got their My B&N set up with their favorite books and movies and music and maybe made some lists, and are ready to show them off! 

You can, of course, also see someone's profile by clicking on "Go To My B&N" either below their name on one of their posts, or on the button in their profile.. but we're all in different stages of getting things set up.  So post in this thread if you've got yours decked out with your favorites and you're ready to show the world!

And remember, if you need some help with the technical aspects of all this, please don't hesitate to check out and post on our Help board. 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Are the Reader Ratings your own rating, or the rating from the BN website generally?

Mine is partly done.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

[ Edited ]

Everyman wrote:
Are the Reader Ratings your own rating, or the rating from the BN website generally?

The ratings that appear on your profile page are the ratings that you give to books, DVD's, and music.  If you have your profile set to public, people will see the main numeric rating that you give and the title of the reviews you wrote - if they click on an individual review they can see the detailed numerical rating and your full text review. 

These reviews will also appear on the product page for the item in question (starting early next week) - but whether or not they are attached to your name is up to you - you can choose your reviews to be anonymous if you wish (when you write a review, down at the bottom of that page you'll see the option whether or not to attach your Pen Name to it). Also - even if your profile itself is set to public, you can still set individual reviews (as well as EssentiaLists) to be anonymous, and then they won't appear on your public page.  

I'll be posting a help thread explaining all of this in more detail in a day or two :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Jon_B on 10-09-2008 08:21 PM

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Contributor
Gothenberg

Love the new myb&n - very cool!  will we get more avatar thingies to choose from?
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Gothenberg wrote:
Love the new myb&n - very cool!  will we get more avatar thingies to choose from?

Hi Gothenberg - we'll be adding a couple new avatars next week, and we'll most likely be adding in some more new ones in the future as well.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Are we going to get some non-person avatars, such as cats lying on books, piles of books, or other items that re associated with serious reading?   Perhaps a few busts of authors such as Homer, Plato, Aristotle, or of more modern authors?  For the gardening group, maybe a few flowers? Or for the food group, a few delightful delicacies?  Some appropriate offerings for the Family group, or Knitting group, for instance?  

I know, greedy, greedy, greedy!  :smileyhappy:

Jon_B wrote:

Gothenberg wrote:

Hi Gothenberg - we'll be adding a couple new avatars next week, and we'll most likely be adding in some more new ones in the future as well.

Jon, Do we have to change to the new icons or avators you have presented? Unless you present some Jane Austen ones, I am not interested in changing my calming blue skies that makes me calm.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

[ Edited ]
i am just discovering the My B&N page and i looked over your book choices. i actually have Maus I and Maus II on my shelf waiting to be read and i wondered do you think i should put it to the top of the list or let it wait its turn? whoops, i just checked your favorites and see it was on that list.
twj
Jon_B wrote:

(edited by twj)....

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 10-12-2008 09:10 PM