Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

thewanderingjew wrote:
i am just discovering the My B&N page and i looked over your book choices. i actually have Maus I and Maus II on my shelf waiting to be read and i wondered do you think i should put it to the top of the list let it wait its turn?
twj
But then your other books will get upset for budging:smileyhappy:
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
MsMorninglight

Well, I think I like the new look.  I haven't been here in awhile.  But, I'm having a problem adding my avatar.  How do I add it?  When I click on it in my Dashboard, it takes me to the area to change it, but then tells me I don't have permission to change it.  Any help would be appreciated. :smileyhappy:

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." - Henry James
Correspondent
LindaEducation

[ Edited ]
I had the same issue a few days ago about not having permission to change my avatar, and actually posted about it in the Help forum. I kept messing around with it and got it working on my own. Not sure what had been the problem.
Message Edited by LindaEducation on 10-17-2008 02:58 AM
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Frequent Contributor
MsMorninglight

Hi Linda,

Thanks, you're right.  I played around in the B&N profile & I guess that's where you have to get your avatar now.  The site has changed a lot since last I was here.  But, I'm starting to get the hang of it. :smileyhappy:

And I do like the B&N profile, I'm working on it now.

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." - Henry James
Contributor
Reading_Seductress

This is my first post on B&N...Its a good thing I can laugh at myself for being so computer illiterate or else I would be mad/frustrated ALL the time (jajaja)...I think that I have the majority of my profile down (this is also my first profile ever, anywhere). I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of eyerolls and laughs from those who hopefully will check it out. If anyone has some good suggestions (be nice :smileywink: ) I'd appreciate them.

I just reviewed my post b/f sending and I wonder if anyone can tell me why my name comes up Reading_Seduct&#133....I was very careful (probably regret later) chosing my 'pen' and its correct on my profile :smileyindifferent:

Contributor
angelscrest

[ Edited ]

I am still in the process of setting up my profile, and still haven't figured out how to check out the profiles of other MB&N members. I think I am going to like this website, but think it might take a while to learn the ins-&-outs, since it seems complicated. How could it be anything else, since there are so many books and so many hundreds of years of great books to read and to talk about.

I am an artist, and wish that MB&N would allow me to upload my own avatar, because I am not particularly fond of any of theirs (no offense).

I also think it is interesting to discuss movies that are made out of our favorite books and to compare the way a story was told in print compared to how it is told visually, since usually so much has to be changed from a novel in order to make a movie watchable. A notable exception was Gone With The Wind, which stuck remarkable closely to the book. Lord Of The Rings, though faithful to the trilogy, made many changes, most of which I thought were good, and improved the story.

Message Edited by angelscrest on 10-25-2008 11:14 AM
Message Edited by angelscrest on 10-25-2008 11:17 AM
Contributor
Booker1

Are there any plans to have a link right on our own profile pages to get to other "My B&N" profiles without having to go to the Book Club Communities posts?
New User
happyreading
0 Kudos

Hi!  I have mine partially set up.  I like the layout of the new myB&N.  Looking forward to getting some good book recommendations!

Welcome everyone! 

Heather 

Contributor
Booker1

Hi Heather!

I've added your profile to my "favorites" since we already know each other from another book club, and since I didn't see any way to make contact with you other than getting into the posts here and posting as a "reply" to your post, or by clicking on your pen name from within this "community" area and then getting taken to a window where the option of sending you a private message is, I decided to "reply" since I wasn't sure how messages get sent yet.

I hope a better way of communicating is in the works, like having the "send a message" option displayed on the profile page of the person we want to communicate with maybe????

Anyway, I'm glad to see you here!

Jackie 

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty

Booker1 wrote:

Hi Heather!

I've added your profile to my "favorites" since we already know each other from another book club, and since I didn't see any way to make contact with you other than getting into the posts here and posting as a "reply" to your post, or by clicking on your pen name from within this "community" area and then getting taken to a window where the option of sending you a private message is, I decided to "reply" since I wasn't sure how messages get sent yet.

I hope a better way of communicating is in the works, like having the "send a message" option displayed on the profile page of the person we want to communicate with maybe????

Anyway, I'm glad to see you here!

Jackie 

Jackie,

If you want to send a message to someone it depends on if you want it displayed like this for everyone to see of if you want it to be a private message. If you hit reply on a post than you will write and send a message that we all can see (like you just did). To send a private message (pm) click on the person's pen name and when the next page comes up on the right side is "send a private message". If you add this person to your friends list, that list will appear when you are on the home page or when you open your dashboard window (on this page it's above the Community Room header) You will also be able to see if your friends are online and what their most recent posts have been. I hope this helped some. If not just ask a moderator any questions you might have. Have fun and good luck!