Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

angelscrest wrote:

I am still in the process of setting up my profile, and still haven't figured out how to check out the profiles of other MB&N members. I think I am going to like this website, but think it might take a while to learn the ins-&-outs, since it seems complicated. How could it be anything else, since there are so many books and so many hundreds of years of great books to read and to talk about.

I am an artist, and wish that MB&N would allow me to upload my own avatar, because I am not particularly fond of any of theirs (no offense).

I also think it is interesting to discuss movies that are made out of our favorite books and to compare the way a story was told in print compared to how it is told visually, since usually so much has to be changed from a novel in order to make a movie watchable. A notable exception was Gone With The Wind, which stuck remarkable closely to the book. Lord Of The Rings, though faithful to the trilogy, made many changes, most of which I thought were good, and improved the story.

Message Edited by angelscrest on 10-25-2008 11:14 AM
Message Edited by angelscrest on 10-25-2008 11:17 AM

angelscrest,

To see someone elses profile click on the green letters under their avatar "Go to My B&N". If you click on their pen name it will take you to a page that lists some of their personal info and a way to send personal messages. It does seem complicated at first but you just have to play with it a bit. You can ask questions here anytime and someone will always help out. If the moderators are busy than other members will try. Welcome and enjoy! It's a fun place to be.

Contributor
Booker1

[ Edited ]

>>>Jackie,

If you want to send a message to someone it depends on if you want it displayed like this for everyone to see of if you want it to be a private message. If you hit reply on a post than you will write and send a message that we all can see (like you just did). To send a private message (pm) click on the person's pen name and when the next page comes up on the right side is "send a private message". If you add this person to your friends list, that list will appear when you are on the home page or when you open your dashboard window (on this page it's above the Community Room header) You will also be able to see if your friends are online and what their most recent posts have been. I hope this helped some. If not just ask a moderator any questions you might have. Have fun and good luck!<<<

Sometimes I've just seen a "contact me" window, with no choices for doing it (like the "send a private message" option) but I have also sometimes seen the same window showing how we can send a private message, but unless I'm not "getting it", it seems we can get those windows by finding a person's pen name from within the community posts here.

Does the person have to be online for us to send a private message? I've seen windows both with and without either, and I know we have the option to have our "online buttons" displayed, but some show nothing but "contact me" without the "send a private message" feature. I'm hoping eventually there will be a quicker way to be able to communicate, like having the "send a message" option on the person's actual profile page instead of having to kind of "follow bread crumbs" to them here.

Edit: At least I finally "get it" and see that we have to be in the community here to get to our "dashboard" and see our friends listed there! Yowza! The light dawns!

Jackie

Message Edited by Booker1 on 10-26-2008 08:27 PM
Message Edited by Booker1 on 10-26-2008 08:43 PM
Message Edited by Booker1 on 10-26-2008 08:44 PM
Contributor
Booker1

[ Edited ]

Oh just ignore me! ha ha

After "Wrighty" got me pointed on a path, I started doing some poking around and am now no longer nearly as confused as I was in the post above this one!

Thanks, Wrighty!

Message Edited by Booker1 on 10-26-2008 09:03 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty

[ Edited ]

Booker1 wrote:

Oh just ignore me! ha ha

After "Wrighty" got me pointed on a path, I started doing some poking around and am now no longer nearly as confused as I was in the post above this one!

Thanks, Wrighty!

Message Edited by Booker1 on 10-26-2008 09:03 PM

You did it! I got your pm and I sent you a reply. Near the top of the page (any page you're on) just above the header for the room you're in (here it's the Community Room) there is a list that goes across the page with your name, dashboard, preferences, messages and an envelope. Whenever you have mail from a pm it will tell you how many messages you have and the envelope will be a darker color. It used to get bright yellow but when the color scheme changed here that did as well. Now it's a little harder to notice so you have to look for it. It should say that you have at least one since I sent a reply to you. If you click on that icon that will take you to your messages.You have mail!

I forgot to mention that it doesn't matter if the reciever of your pm is online or not. It works like an email. They'll get it the next time they are in the club.  

Message Edited by Wrighty on 10-27-2008 12:42 AM
Contributor
Booker1
0 Kudos

I got your pm just fine, Wrighty...thank you! I'm beginning to really enjoy this now that I've learned more of the "ropes"! :smileyhappy:
New User
JennDubb

Is anyone else finding certain annoyances with the new B&N profile? I really don't like how when I log in each day, they have the same books listed to "recommend" to me, and some of them are in Spanish!! Also, when I add these books to my wishlist, they still don't disappear from my recommend list! That part definitely needs to be updated. But check my page out, I desperately need to find people and search their favorite books...I've been in a good book rut lately...

Contributor
suga49
0 Kudos

Hi

I finally did my B&N profile

Karen Terry

Albany GA

Reader 2
divagirl1
0 Kudos

I'm new and just like everyone else getting the hang of it. I hope to meet some new people who have similar interested. 
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

JennDubb wrote:

Is anyone else finding certain annoyances with the new B&N profile? I really don't like how when I log in each day, they have the same books listed to "recommend" to me, and some of them are in Spanish!! Also, when I add these books to my wishlist, they still don't disappear from my recommend list! That part definitely needs to be updated. But check my page out, I desperately need to find people and search their favorite books...I've been in a good book rut lately...

Great page, JennDubb. You shouldn't get the same "recommended" books every day, so I'm going to forward that observation to the developers. (You're also right that the Wish List operates independently of your "recommended" list .. You don't have it, afterall! :smileyhappy:

I also noticed that you have Dean Koontz on your Favorite Authors list. ... You'll probably be interested in knowing that Dean is hard at work on an exclusive video blog for us. It starts on November 17, about a week before Your Heart Belongs to Me  goes on sale. In the blog, Dean answers questions that were submitted by people here in the Book Clubs. ... Check it out over in the Fiction Book Club.

New User
KatieFL

Here is my first attempt.  I too would like to see more cool female avatars -  or goddesses? :womanwink: ;-)