Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
janalee40
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎11-19-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

Aww. Are you sensitive fforgnayr? I think I was laughing with you, not at you :robotvery-happy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

Hmmm, I hadn't explored the suggestions any further than the few books that show up first, until now. 

 

I think that the book suggestions all make a lot of sense (and I actually have a number of them).  Although they are all cosy mysteries, and I think my profile indicates a somewhat wider range of interests.  There was a recent change on the ones that come up first, because a brand-new book by one of my favorite authors showed up, but the others were still the same as always. 

 

The DVD suggestions mostly make sense (and, again, many reflect my taste because I already have them), except I don't know why one of the first suggestions was a boxed set on World War II, and I don't know why they think I would be interested in the TV show Sports Night. 

 

The CDs are all over the place and most make no sense to me at all.  I never heard of most of the artists, and there seem to be a fair number of cowboy hats, and I really dislike country music.  The only artists I knew were the Doors and Stephen Wright, although I don't see how they relate to what I put on my profile (no comedy listings at all; maybe the Doors are somehow related to the Beatles?).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

[ Edited ]

janalee40 wrote:
Aww. Are you sensitive fforgnayr? I think I was laughing with you, not at you :robotvery-happy:

 

I am, I normally have to cry myself to sleep everynight because of all the mean things said throughout my day (I work in retail) :smileywink:

But I do feel better now, thank you :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by fforgnayr on 12-11-2008 10:03 PM
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

[ Edited ]

I feel your pain on the whole Music suggestoins, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the selections :smileyhappy:

 

On a whim I just looked at my music choices to see if anything changed.  Well good news is that the Opera selections are gone.  Bad news is that I know have 7 Mexicana CDs listed.  I'm really not sure where those options are coming from. 


dulcinea3 wrote:

Hmmm, I hadn't explored the suggestions any further than the few books that show up first, until now. 

 

I think that the book suggestions all make a lot of sense (and I actually have a number of them).  Although they are all cosy mysteries, and I think my profile indicates a somewhat wider range of interests.  There was a recent change on the ones that come up first, because a brand-new book by one of my favorite authors showed up, but the others were still the same as always. 

 

The DVD suggestions mostly make sense (and, again, many reflect my taste because I already have them), except I don't know why one of the first suggestions was a boxed set on World War II, and I don't know why they think I would be interested in the TV show Sports Night. 

 

The CDs are all over the place and most make no sense to me at all.  I never heard of most of the artists, and there seem to be a fair number of cowboy hats, and I really dislike country music.  The only artists I knew were the Doors and Stephen Wright, although I don't see how they relate to what I put on my profile (no comedy listings at all; maybe the Doors are somehow related to the Beatles?).


 

Message Edited by fforgnayr on 12-11-2008 10:11 PM
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
lilacbouquet
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎11-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

I know what you mean about the retail thing! I even dream about people saying rude things to me now... it follows me, apparently.

fforgnayr wrote:

janalee40 wrote:
Aww. Are you sensitive fforgnayr? I think I was laughing with you, not at you :robotvery-happy:

 

I am, I normally have to cry myself to sleep everynight because of all the mean things said throughout my day (I work in retail) :smileywink:

But I do feel better now, thank you :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by fforgnayr on 12-11-2008 10:03 PM

 

- Emily
"The test of literature is, I suppose, whether we ourselves live more intensely for the reading of it." - Elizabeth Drew
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

I like the Mills Brothers a lot, but favorite group?  That changes around alot.  They're in the hunt, but so are others.

 

I haven't made my profile public because I don't have time (or, frankly, interest) to fill it out, and I see no point in making a basically empty profile public (not tomention that the books BN put in it automatically don't really reflect my primary interests or reading habits, so if I made it public in its present very limited status it would be a very inaccurate picture).  

 

 


janalee40 wrote:

So, I take it your favorite group is the Mills Brothers? Would this explain why your profile is currenlty set to private?

 

(This is in response to Everyman's reasoning for keeping a private profile. This question is meant for him. I replied to his last post in this segment. However, it did not reflect his original post in the message)

Message Edited by janalee40 on 12-09-2008 06:55 PM

 

 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!


fforgnayr wrote: 

I normally have to cry myself to sleep everynight because of all the mean things said throughout my day



 

So, if you were nicer to me here you could sleep better.  :smileywink:

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

LOL

 

Nicer to you? What about the horrible, mean, nasty, sarcastic, Oscar Wildish, horrendous, disgusting, evil, under-handed, deplorable, viscious, slanderish, and just down right not nice things you say to me. :smileywink:


Everyman wrote:

fforgnayr wrote: 

I normally have to cry myself to sleep everynight because of all the mean things said throughout my day



 

So, if you were nicer to me here you could sleep better.  :smileywink:


 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
angelscrest
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎10-25-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile! I created a MONSTER!

How funny that you all have gone to town over my little pet peeve! I started the thread about the suggestions on my profile. I think they are random.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Show off your My B&N profile!

"You always hurt the ones you love."

 


fforgnayr wrote:

LOL

 

Nicer to you? What about the horrible, mean, nasty, sarcastic, Oscar Wildish, horrendous, disgusting, evil, under-handed, deplorable, viscious, slanderish, and just down right not nice things you say to me. :smileywink:


Everyman wrote:

fforgnayr wrote: 

I normally have to cry myself to sleep everynight because of all the mean things said throughout my day



 

So, if you were nicer to me here you could sleep better.  :smileywink:


 


 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.