Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Shrinking Silicone, one mans quest to re-purpose a NST/G shell for a NGL

So, I have a silicone shell for the NST/G, it does what I want a case to do, gives a slight texture to the device but adds little to no real weight, and doesn't create bulk by having a cover to hold open when I'm reading.  It's basically a rectangle that wraps around the Nook and has a cut out for the screen.  Oh how I love this thing.  Which may be why B&N no longer carries it :smileysad:

The NGL is just a little slimmer than the NST/G (0.47 vs. 0.42 inches, a lousy 0.05 of an inch!)

The shell can be used with the NGL, that is to say there is nothing physically that prevents it.  The power button is covered, but eh, I suspect I could snip a hole if it really bothers me.

What is the point of this post then?

I'm simply passing on that you can try to shrink the silicone shell (I have not yet tried, I will try some time tomorrow).  Not sure how well it will work, but as I don't like the fit currently the worst I can do is destroy a case that unless this works I wouldn't use. 

http://www.ehow.com/how_10012042_shrink-silicone.html is the guide I'll use.  If anyone has any experience with this (y'all are a rather eclectic group) please let me know.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Shrinking Silicone, one mans quest to re-purpose a NST/G shell for a NGL

Not sure about biting it, but it sounds promising otherwise. Good luck with it!

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Some modification would be used of course :smileyhappy:

roustabout
0 Kudos

You could also try adding a sheet of material inside the silicon to fill the gap in key points.

The advantage being a large number of do-overs, and if you don't like the end result so much you'd probably know a bit more about places to be watching out for once you moved to a shrinking step.

I spent quite a bit of time making cases for nook color/tablet device, and learned more with each iteration.  Three of them are still in use.

My nstg cover is similar to the bn nsl offering, but attaches to the back with velcro and flips over the top to protect the screen or lies flat on the back when reading.  It's basically a sheet of craft plywood wrapped in black corduroy.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Boiling seems to have done essentially nothing, I didn't repeat it with a longer boil time because I didn't see any sign of shrinking at all and I kept it in the pot for about 2-2 1/2 minutes. 

The issue with filling the gaps with a material is the gaps are fairly small, remember the NSTG is only 0.05 inches bigger than the NGL.  And even then the case is designed with the indent for the NSTG.  So I think mucking with it that much would be more of an undertaking than I'm willing to take on at the moment.

I'm gonna test it with the case on and see if I can live with it being only a tad loose if I squeeze it.  If not I'm sure something will some along.

Correspondent
luv2read29
0 Kudos

MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY THROWING IT INTO THE DRYER WITH A TOWEL OR TWO. TAKE IT OUT AND STICK IT ON YOUR NOOK RIGHT AWAY IF IT IS HOT ENOUGH IT MAY MOLD TO IT. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controvercy.
Inspired Contributor
CrownedInStarlight
0 Kudos

Have you thought about using a hairdryer or baking it?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I've actually given up on it, I still have it as boiling didn't do any damage, and I'll likely keep it for my NSTG.

However I figured out why I liked it, it rounded out the sides of the NSTG and made it comfortable to hold.  The silicone ring around the NGL does the same.  If B&N comes out with a silicone shell I may pick one up, or if a third party does the same (haven't had luck finding one with the NGLs dimensions).  The white isn't so bad, though when Decalgirl.com comes out with skins for the NGL (which should be later this month) I'll pick up a solid black one. 

bobstro

[ Edited ]

Decalgirl is advertising them now. I think you should compromise and go with something that blends with the grayish screen:

Zebra Skin

One thing that I wondered about on the Decalgirl skins was the lack of cutout for the indented 'n' on the back cover. I believe the NGL still has that, no? The Skinomi skins actually had a cutout. I'm not sure if the decalgirl skins are meant to simply cover that up, or be pressed into the indentation.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The NGL does indeed have an indented 'n' on the back.  Though it's small and may not show in a picture with a skin on.  However if DG has figured a way to not show the 'n' I'm more than fine with that as I dislike paying to be an advertisment for anything.  The NGL in its 'nude' form is actually very low impact advertising, the 'nook' at the top of the device is silver on white, and the 'n' on the back would easily be covered by most hands holding the Nook. 

The NST/G also have the same 'n' on the back, in those cases it's within the larger indent.  DG does not show the 'n' on those skins and nothing has been said against them for that, so I presume they have accounted for it.